• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
June 28-July 8th Severe Potential

Chicago Storm

Pretty nice little storm here. Got some backyard video of an impressive looking shelf cloud with some nice striations, and rapid rising motion. The downdraft portion of the storm was still in its infancy when it rolled through, so didn't get much other than brief very heavy rain and some 30-40mph wind gusts. Looks like it's taking off pretty good off to the east now.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from a long day here. I personally recorded a 65 MPH wind gust with my Kestrel. Pretty scary. Some areas looked like a bomb went off. Here is a synopsis that we sent to NWS.

Here is what we have from Huntington County: Huntington County has experienced wide spread damage from straight line winds. Numerous reports of trees and powerlines down. RV Camper was blown over onto subject at Lost Bridge West Campground at Salamonie Reservoir. Fire Departments are working a structure fire, multiple tree fires and spot grass fires due to down powerlines. Widespread power outages are being reported. Town of Warren has declared a local State of Emergency due to entire power grid damaged by straight line winds. Multiple roads impassable because of down trees and power lines

Just got back from a long day here. I personally recorded a 65 MPH wind gust with my Kestrel. Pretty scary. Some areas looked like a bomb went off. Here is a synopsis that we sent to NWS.

Here is what we have from Huntington County: Huntington County has experienced wide spread damage from straight line winds. Numerous reports of trees and powerlines down. RV Camper was blown over onto subject at Lost Bridge West Campground at Salamonie Reservoir. Fire Departments are working a structure fire, multiple tree fires and spot grass fires due to down powerlines. Widespread power outages are being reported. Town of Warren has declared a local State of Emergency due to entire power grid damaged by straight line winds. Multiple roads impassable because of down trees and power lines

Thanks for posting the info. Glad we got some much needed rainfall here in the LAF, but I might be more thankful we missed the destructive winds.

sounds pretty incredible, will be interesting to see pictures of the damaged areas

Thanks for posting the info. Glad we got some much needed rainfall here in the LAF, but I might be more thankful we missed the destructive winds.

I just mentioned to the chief deputy sheriff that we had all of that destruction for a measly quarter inch of rain.

Hopefully Mother Nature will hoist a round for you across northern IL, Alek.

This MCS has been somewhat surprisingly disorganized and clumsy...best prospects are still well to my south but I'll still be lurking and hopefully the llj can help make things more interesting to watch later.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

TORNADO WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

813 PM CDT FRI JUN 29 2012

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN CHICAGO HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...

WESTERN LEE COUNTY...

SOUTH CENTRAL OGLE COUNTY...

* UNTIL 845 PM CDT

* AT 809 PM...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A TORNADO. THIS DANGEROUS

STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR DIXON...AND MOVING EAST AT 35 MPH.

* THIS TORNADIC STORM WILL BE NEAR...

FRANKLIN GROVE AROUND 825 PM.

ASHTON AROUND 835 PM.

OTHER LOCATIONS IMPACTED...

LEE COUNTY FAIRGROUNDS...

Very close to what we experienced in Madison County. I got called back into the 911 center for a couple of hours after my shift. Amazing with that rain, it's still tindeebox enough to combust. I've seen some pics of structure damage. An office with a collapsed ceiling structure. Out buildings missing roofs. Missing siding. Lines down everywhere. That was my Job for 2 hours, calling power companies for priority calls.

Sent from my ADR6400L 2

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHICAGO/ROMEOVILLE IL

819 PM CDT FRI JUN 29 2012

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0802 PM TSTM WND GST 2 N DIXON 41.88N 89.48W

06/29/2012 M74 MPH LEE IL TRAINED SPOTTER

ALSO 5 INCH DIAMETER TREE DOWN.

the LOT radar has a ton of clutter...you're hearing thunder already way up there?

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was. The village doesn't want anyone firing off fireworks anymore due to a grass fire yesterday that got started by one! It was distant. That does look like an actual cell west of Elgin.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it was. The village doesn't want anyone firing off fireworks anymore due to a grass fire yesterday that got started by one! It was distant. That does look like an actual cell west of Elgin.

cool and yeah it does look like a little cell. I'm going to head down to the beach in a few with the dog to watch for anvil crawlers.

FWIW i have to imagine instability drops off hard closer to the lake...it's very comfortable out...probably still decent elevated juice though

kind of annoying how loaded LOT's radar is with this stuff...is that related to the dual pol upgrade or what?

IIRC that is an issue. I think the bigger issue right now is a low-level stable layer.

Here was the LOT write-up regarding the issue...

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=lot&storyid=74637&source=2

Archived