joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer 2012

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a beautiful stretch of August weather... highs in the low to mid 70s, with nights ranging from mid 40s to low 50s over the next week. Looks like we are done with those mild lows near 60F for some time. Humid weather is gone.

Rest Of Today: Partly sunny. Highs in the lower 70s. Light and variable winds...becoming northwest around 10 mph this afternoon.

Tonight: Clear. Lows in the mid 40s. Light and variable winds.

Sunday: Sunny. Highs in the mid 70s. Light and variable winds.

Sunday Night: Clear. Lows in the mid 40s. Light and variable winds.

Monday: Partly sunny. Highs in the mid 70s. Light and variable winds.

Monday Night: Cloudy. Lows in the lower 50s.

Tuesday: Mostly cloudy. Highs in the lower 70s.

Tuesday Night And Wednesday: Partly cloudy. Lows in the lower 50s. Highs in the mid 70s.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear. Lows in the lower 50s.

That's the zone forecast for the valleys of Lamoille County... but the higher terrain point and click shows nice cool weather with highs in the low 60s and lows down near 40F.

Autumn is coming.

Yeah, that was definitely the storm of the season around here – it had both quantity and quality. Usually there's more room for debate, but there was nothing else that really came close to that one in 2011-2012. Total snowfall isn’t everything for an event, but in the top five storms list from last season (added below), #2 on the list fell right off below the one foot mark, which has never happened since we started collecting snowfall data here. Storm #5 is even below a half foot, and that’s also never happened before – usually even #5 is still up near that one-foot mark. Hopefully Mother Nature will get back to something more typical for 2012-2013.

2011-2012 - Top five Waterbury snowfall events

1. 22.7 inches (2/24/12-2/26/12)

2. 11.7 inches (1/12/12-1/14/12)

3. 11.0 inches (11/23/11)

4. 9.7 inches (12/27/11-12/28/11)

5. 5.1 inches (12/25/11-12/26/11)

Yeah in a normal season all 5 of those should be over 12"...the top three over 18" or something like that.

Excellent! Love Geary's though we don't find it much around here... The Old Thumper is pretty tasty too. We're looking forward to it--just something a little different from here. I've spent a lot of time near the shore in my days and something we obviously don't have here in the deep hills. ;)

Clear and nice here this AM. Missed most of the rain yesterday. Would've been nice to have a soaking since not much is in the forecast coming up but I think we'll make it, lol.

I have learned to plan for a hike immediately following our return home, otherwise I start looking at real estate and planning our move to the ocean :)

thanks PF. I am pretty partial to these parts myself. Been waiting for a good rainy day, but haven't had a good round yet, one of my favorite walks is from 105 south to 242, best with in a deep gloomy atmosphere. Come on up some time, beers on me.

Another upper 40s morning, perhaps 1-2F below yesterday's 47. However, today's high should top yesterday's 71. Nice nice wx, and even more enjoyable that the 40s/70s days in July, because I'm no longer concerned about drought. In fact, a dry spell would be excellent for the woods operations. Fall mud season comes early enough as it is - last year it began with Irene!

I can't wait to ski.

I'm thinking about maybe doing a couple days in Stowe again around Christmas. Getting there.......

Stowe is a zoooooooo during the xmas period. If you can come mid january or early feb. It is empty and the snow is better.

It's def. coming.

Funny how this is the season where you really get a sense how high some the ADK valleys are. Lake Placid is up at 2000ft and KSLK is similar. The radational cooling that takes place over there just out paces anything in VT in the fall. Would love to see a few more low 30s readings.

Stowe is a zoooooooo during the xmas period. If you can come mid january or early feb. It is empty and the snow is better.

It's def. coming.

Funny how this is the season where you really get a sense how high some the ADK valleys are. Lake Placid is up at 2000ft and KSLK is similar. The radational cooling that takes place over there just out paces anything in VT in the fall. Would love to see a few more low 30s readings.

Yeah they do... however NE VT gives them a good run for their money. Essex County, VT in particular can often be colder than the Adirondacks... but that's waaaayyyy out there in logging country.

This morning's lows... there's usually a spot or two that matches the Adirondacks low spots, like last night Sutton was 39F like SLK, and Island Pond Airport was 41F. Island Pond Airport usually comes in pretty close to SLK:

min_temp_082012.png

Yesterday's lows...

min_temp_081912.png

Yeah they do... however NE VT gives them a good run for their money. Essex County, VT in particular can often be colder than the Adirondacks... but that's waaaayyyy out there in logging country.

This morning's lows... there's usually a spot or two that matches the Adirondacks low spots, like last night Sutton was 39F like SLK, and Island Pond Airport was 41F. Island Pond Airport usually comes in pretty close to SLK:

min_temp_082012.png

Yesterday's lows...

min_temp_081912.png

Didn't really realize that....

Good to know.

One day I'd love to get the daily temps from the Lake Colden ranger station in the ADK. It's a high bowl 2780 feet surrounded by 4500 foot mountains.

Has to get really really cold in there.

Low in 50s this morning (with 0.02" and sprinkling at 7 AM) after yesterday's low of 45.

SLK and environs seem to be the Northeast's coldest during the spring and fall, but come midwinter and the valleys of N.Maine come into play. However, that part of the world often remains within the cyclonic flow while the 'Dacks are far enough west to escape the winds, thus having colder mornings.

Didn't really realize that....

Good to know.

One day I'd love to get the daily temps from the Lake Colden ranger station in the ADK. It's a high bowl 2780 feet surrounded by 4500 foot mountains.

Has to get really really cold in there.

What would be fun is someone handing you 5 ASOS systems and saying you can put these anywhere you want, haha. That would be fun.

Low in 50s this morning (with 0.02" and sprinkling at 7 AM) after yesterday's low of 45.

SLK and environs seem to be the Northeast's coldest during the spring and fall, but come midwinter and the valleys of N.Maine come into play. However, that part of the world often remains within the cyclonic flow while the 'Dacks are far enough west to escape the winds, thus having colder mornings.

Yeah I think it all depends on the set-up...there are a lot of times the ME spots will be colder than the SLK area in departing high pressure situations. CAD in ME near the high while SLK is seeing return flow out of the SW or increasing clouds. Flip side as you mention is cyclonic flow and clouds in ME while SLK is clear.

I think all else equal it's hard to beat SLK. It's a valley bottom but at like 1800ft, surrounded by 4000-5000ft terrain. The topography is just about perfect for brutal nights.

Yeah I think it all depends on the set-up...there are a lot of times the ME spots will be colder than the SLK area in departing high pressure situations. CAD in ME near the high while SLK is seeing return flow out of the SW or increasing clouds. Flip side as you mention is cyclonic flow and clouds in ME while SLK is clear.

I think all else equal it's hard to beat SLK. It's a valley bottom but at like 1800ft, surrounded by 4000-5000ft terrain. The topography is just about perfect for brutal nights.

Another really cold place, that actually has a decently reliable wx station is Mt. Van Hoovenberg xc center. It's about 22oo feet, and just tucked in behind Marcy, and Cascade and a few other 3800-5000 foot mountains. Its coooooooooold up in there.

But not this week. Looking like a classic week of summer through early next week. High pressure with a flow from the south bringing some humidity with it. Pop-up showers and t-storms in the afternoons.

Cold front pushing in early next week.

It was in the low 80s here and the lake is quite warm. Plenty of swimming.

Haha he doesn't seem to get the fact that it can be chilly at night and comfortable to sleep in, while then being warm during the day. This is NNE with 30-40F+ diurnal swings in mountain valleys, not some hilltop in CT where the temp only rises 12F from low to high ;)

Yesterday we hit 80F and it felt warm, after a low of 45F. This morning it was 48F when I got up at 6am, and the temp is already rising fast as the sun comes up. Blizz makes it seem like it's still in the 40s at noon lol.

Haha he doesn't seem to get the fact that it can be chilly at night and comfortable to sleep in, while then being warm during the day. This is NNE with 30-40F+ diurnal swings in mountain valleys ;)

Yesterday we hit 80F and it felt warm, after a low of 45F. This morning it was 48F when I got up at 6am, and the temp is already rising fast as the sun comes up. Blizz makes it seem like it's still in the 40s at noon lol.

nice day in lake george yday, 51/82 split

Haha he doesn't seem to get the fact that it can be chilly at night and comfortable to sleep in, while then being warm during the day. This is NNE with 30-40F+ diurnal swings in mountain valleys, not some hilltop in CT where the temp only rises 12F from low to high ;)

Didn't get quit as cool here. I gotta figure out this thermometer, but my guess was 51 or so for a low. The lake is warm enough that you can even feel a bit of a breeze as air moves towards the milder lake where the air is actually rising a bit. Almost like a land breeze at night down in FL.

WTF are you talking about? I do get it. I want nothing to do with 40's for lows at nighttime in summer. it takes away all the fun and enjoyment of the summer vibe and feel. Having to wear jackets and sweatshirts at night in summer is not what I want. Shorts and tees and warmth..Not worrying about if I'm gonna be cold or not. Water temps in pools and lakes cool off..there's nothing I like abut that.

Just like in winter I don't want mild, warm wx where I have to not wear a jacket. You want seasons to perform as seasons.

I think it's you who doesn;t get it

Archived