joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer 2012

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Figured its time to end the spring thread and move onto hopefully some hot and dry weather after the last couple of weeks

Nice move to start a new thread...its definitely time. This will now last for 3 months haha. I think the NNE to SNE thread ratio is similar to that of a wet snowfall, like 8:1.

Ahhh NNE in the summer...deep green forested mountainsides, cool nights and warm days, and plenty of crisp lakes and rivers to swim in. Gotta live it up!

Nice move to start a new thread...its definitely time. This will now last for 3 months haha. I think the NNE to SNE thread ratio is similar to that of a wet snowfall, like 8:1.

Ahhh NNE in the summer...deep green forested mountainsides, cool nights and warm days, and plenty of crisp lakes and rivers to swim in. Gotta live it up!

Welcome back by the way, I was following along in your travels, That had to be a great experience, Yeah it was time for a thread change as we head into early summer, Maybe we can turn things around and see more typical NNE style weather, Once we get some sustained sun and heat the Black flies and Mosquitoes are going to be relentless.

Counting all the multiple SNE threads added together, I think the posting ratio is more like upslope!

An echo of the flooding: Saw on the news last evening that folks on Horseshoe Pond in W.Gardnier remain flooded, and that the level had only dropped one inch since the previous day. I'm not sure it flooded that high in 1987. Horseshoe's level, and that for Pleasant Pond and all of Cobbossee Stream down from Collins Mills rips, is set by New Mills Dam at Rt 126. I wonder if the concerns about the Bridge Street crossing has led to DOT telling Gardiner Water Company NOT to pull any boards from the spillway, thus lengthening the upstream woes.

Actually yes... they're pretty amazing.

However I might still retaliate with a few random Key West photos. :whistle:

I still like the 25 feet of snow on the ground on June 3rd...

IMG_6650_edited-1.jpg

That type of depth was at the highest pass I visited up at 4,500ft above sea level (still, thats only like the height of Mansfield).

More often the depths we'd drive through at 2,500-3,500ft were of 5-10 feet.

Driving around you'd have to watch out for wet snow avalanches and rock slides and all the other things that come with warming temperatures and steep hillsides. We saw quite a few quasi-mud avalanches of snow mixed with dirt but mostly the snow was that filthy old snow except for the day after it snowed when it got that mid-winter white back.

IMG_6893_edited-1.jpg

IMG_6908_edited-1.jpg

Note in the above picture you can see what's left of the 1-2" of snow we got one night. They "plowed" (more like scrapped) the road and you can see on the sides what's left of that light June snowfall.

Below is some June snowfall on the roof and what's slid off the roof at the base of the shack.

IMG_6916_edited-1.jpg

I could get used to living in this sort of place that has deep snowpack for at least 10 months of the year, and some years it doesn't even all melt. Its as close to living in perpetual winter as you can get. There are many glaciers right nearby though. A lot of international ski teams train in Norway during the summer... they were still grooming cross country trails and folks were out skiing despite the calendar.

The driveway to our "hytta" which is cabin/hut in Norweigan after the night of snowfall. No point in shoveling the driveway.

IMG_6910_edited-1.jpg

I was just blown away by the skiing possibilities and overall winter feel even in June. I definitely want to go back with skis sometime in the early summer.

IMG_6918_edited-1.jpg

And some of the piles of snow from their house-sized snowblowers were absolutely ridiculous. This pile on the right is like 40 feet high. I can't imagine that will possible melt by the time it starts snowing again in earnest.

IMG_6915_edited-1.jpg

Overall... I now know where my love of snow and skiing comes from. My grandparents were born here and my grandfather used to use skis as daily transport, now I use them daily but for pleasure.

IMG_6650_edited-1.jpg

That type of depth was at the highest pass I visited up at 4,500ft above sea level (still, thats only like the height of Mansfield).

Driving around you'd have to watch out for wet snow avalanches and rock slides and all the other things that come with warming temperatures and steep hillsides. We saw quite a few quasi-mud avalanches of snow mixed with dirt but mostly the snow was that filthy old snow except for the day after it snowed when it got that mid-winter white back.

IMG_6893_edited-1.jpg

IMG_6908_edited-1.jpg

Note in the above picture you can see what's left of the 1-2" of snow we got one night. They "plowed" (more like scrapped) the road and you can see on the sides what's left of that light June snowfall.

Below is some June snowfall on the roof and what's slid off the roof at the base of the shack.

IMG_6916_edited-1.jpg

I could get used to living in this sort of place that has deep snowpack for at least 10 months of the year, and some years it doesn't even all melt. Its as close to living in perpetual winter as you can get. There are many glaciers right nearby though. A lot of international ski teams train in Norway during the summer... they were still grooming cross country trails and folks were out skiing despite the calendar.

The driveway to our "hytta" which is cabin/hut in Norweigan after the night of snowfall. No point in shoveling the driveway.

IMG_6910_edited-1.jpg

I was just blown away by the skiing possibilities and overall winter feel even in June. I definitely want to go back with skis sometime in the early summer.

IMG_6918_edited-1.jpg

And some of the piles of snow from their house-sized snowblowers were absolutely ridiculous. This pile on the right is like 40 feet high. I can't imagine that will possible melt by the time it starts snowing again in earnest.

IMG_6915_edited-1.jpg

Overall... I now know where my love of snow and skiing comes from. My grandparents were born here and my grandfather used to use skis as daily transport, now I use them daily but for pleasure.

Were these taken in CT?

:lol:

Those are amazing. If that snow is still that deep now, I wonder what the record depth is?

I think I'd feel uncomfortable on that road... I'd always be fearing the sides will cave in and bury me alive. Plus, not much of a shoulder to pull over on if your car breaks down.

On the bright side, at least you don't have to worry about running into a speed trap.

Those are amazing. If that snow is still that deep now, I wonder what the record depth is?

I think I'd feel uncomfortable on that road... I'd always be fearing the sides will cave in and bury me alive. Plus, not much of a shoulder to pull over on if your car breaks down.

On the bright side, at least you don't have to worry about running into a speed trap.

Yeah it is definitely a bit shady in spots with massive overhanging walls of snow. And with the warming temperatures (up into the 70s some days even in the mountains), the snow was sliding and falling all over the place. It was not uncommon to see areas where the walls had caved onto the road, or where a chunk had peeled off into the road. The plows were kept busy just continuously clearing chunks of snow and ice that had slid into the road.

Then there's the whole other issue of avalanche slide paths lurking above, and a lot of signs showing at lot of these areas are "no stopping" to minimize risk.

That day we got a couple inches of snowfall we saw a whole bunch of fresh avalanches alongside the roads like the one below just next to the tunnel (oh yeah and the tunnel system in Norway is crazy expansive, every road has at least one)...

IMG_6921_edited-1.jpg

The snow depths on the sides of the road would be variable though... you'd go through long stretches of not seeing anything but snowbanks, then pop out on a wind-swept area that was a lot more snow-free like the stretch of road below.

IMG_6647_edited-1.jpg

All I know is I'd never want to drive this elevated interior area of Norway in a January blizzard in the dark. There are a few roads that close for the winter, but the majority have to stay open as this is the only way to connect a lot of these towns is up over these passes. And if you get stuck up there, I'd imagine you're in a pretty life threatening situation considering they have storms that drop like "2-3 meters in 3 days" (like 6-10 feet) along with hurricane force winds. And like I said, you gotta go over these roads to connect the towns, particularly the coastal communities with the interior communities.

Just imagine driving this with fog or snowfall or blowing snow... I'd imagine the road would just fill right in with any type of wind. If that old snow is crusty and you get some new snow and wind, its all gonna end up filling in that road gap almost immediately given the large expanses of "nothingness".

IMG_6616_edited-1.jpg

One helluva snowpack to cut through... this road is open year-round. I can't even imagine what the snow removal budget is like. I guess that's what you get with 25% taxes on everything.

**I come from the land of the ice & snow, from the midnight sun, where the hot springs blow**

Cool shots, PF!

Good idea on the new thread--I was thinking the same just yesterday.

Could get rowdy this afternoon. My big question this morning is to whether to take two wheels to work or four....

Amazing shots, 'freak. Winters must be simply incredible. Nice place to visit, but for everyday living I think I'd like to see at least a little bit of summer. A few weeks, anyway.

Gonna be paddling over in NH tomorrow, and the weather looks spectacular. Five-star LL sort of day. Man-on-the-scene pics will be forthcoming.

Just stunning, looks similar to Paradise Lodge at 5,500' on Rainier, only without all the wind-modifying trees. Snowfall averages about 700" and generally lasts into July at Paradise (latest was 8/25) and max depth was just over 30', back in the 1970s.

The "snowchute" pics reminded me of my brother's account of driving a central Norwegian coastal highway one early summer when he was stationed in Germany. There was dense fog, visibility 50 yards or less, and no place to pull off and take a break from white-knuckling. The only holes in the 15' snow walls were where the snowmelt streams were thundering toward the fjord - holes with no guard rails, scary to think about. He called it the hairiest driving he's ever done (including during his 1967-68 year in Vietnam.)

IIRC wasn't a Norwegian glacier used as the Ice Planet Hoth for the filming of Empire Strikes Back. (If I am correct, I get extra Geek points for the day.)

Thanks for the comments guys... and klm, I have no idea haha. Norway would have plenty of spots though that could be used for that sort of filming though ;)

I'm just getting used to the fact that the sun doesn't set at midnight and rise at 3am... but it is good to be back in the states. Its fun to travel Europe for a month, but we do live in a pretty sweet part of the world here in NNE. I'm very happy to be back in the heart of the Green Mountains.

Mostly Cloudy... low 70s with dews in the low 50s. Doesn't seem all that inspiring for convection today.

2nd wave of the storms that went through this evening right after 7 were the worst we've had this summer near BTV (within 1/2 mile of the field). BTV ATC were reporting a level 6 cell. Quite the lightning and hail show.

2nd wave of the storms that went through this evening right after 7 were the worst we've had this summer near BTV (within 1/2 mile of the field). BTV ATC were reporting a level 6 cell. Quite the lightning and hail show.

Did you get hail at the airport?

That cell looked nice. I posted a radar in the Northeast Convection thread.

Had some good storms rumble through here last evening. Here's what I posted in the severe thread last night:

Some fairly rowdy storms have been rolling through here.

The first one passed just to our north--caught some nice views of it and a few photos. Only a few drops of rain but a hearty gust of wind blew through.

The second batch came overhead and is just past now. Had a few short downpours and some real nice wind gusts; trees bent, leaves flying but thankfully I didn't hear any (more) cracks and pops of trees falling out in the woods.

Lots of thunder & lightning but no hail.

The dog is freaking out as usual with all the rumbles & flashes.

A rain cooled 53F now.

I'll take a look at the photos I snapped and post some if they come out well...

As Roger Hill said in his morning radio broadcast yesterday, the setup for the day’s potential storms featured low freezing levels that could produce hail, and indeed they did for our location. I was listening to VPR on the way back from Burlington in the early evening yesterday, and heard that there was a thunderstorm warning up for our area (Washington County) and some areas to the north. Just as I got to the house and put the car in the garage (glad for the timing of that), the first spits of rain started, and within a few moments, heavy rain and hail were coming down. The hail size was topping out at around 1 cm diameter, and the rainfall was incredibly heavy – so heavy that it was overtopping the gutters on the front side of the house. I’ll have to check if there was a clog in the southwest downspout, but the rainfall was very intense. The hail with that event fell from about 6:10 P.M. to 6:20 P.M., which is the longest bout of continuous hail that we’ve witnessed here. In association with another cell, we then had a second round of hail around 7:35 P.M. that last about five minutes – the size of the hail was roughly similar, although it didn’t fall as intensely. In terms of damage, some deciduous leaves wound up on the lawn, and a few of our lettuce and spinach leaves got perforated, but we were in the midst of making salad for dinner anyway, so we just made sure to grab those and use them first. My CoCoRaHS report from the first round of hail is below, followed by a BTV radar image I grabbed during that time period, and finally a few photos from around the yard after the first storm was done:

08JUN12A.jpg

08JUN12A.gif

08JUN12B.jpg

08JUN12C.jpg

08JUN12D.jpg

Archived