joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer 2012

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We want camping/canoeing there a few times. Hell of a drive from here. Beautiful area but I felt like I needed a weapon on me due to

Wildlife.

After 35+ years wandering thru the Maine woods as a forester, I can honestly say that there was only one time when wildlife gave me a real scare. This doesn't include the recent tick/Lyme influx nor close calls when I'm driving, neither of which could be solved by firearms or pepper spray. The one instance was during the moose rut early one October, when a large nearsighted bull heard me walking and thought I might be the cow of his dreams. He came straight toward me, grunting, and when he got within about 20 yards I commenced to hollar and throw sticks around. Took him 3-4 minutes of showing me his (very large) antlers before he got the idea and went elsewhere.

Sun is just coming thru cloud breaks here in AUG, similar to Saturday when the clouds broke at noon IMBY. This morning was the 14th of 18 days this month with lows in the 40s, along with three at 39 and last Wednesday's rainy 57. The month is averaging 65/45, and -3.6 thru 6/17. Even with Wed-Thurs running +10 to +15, we'll probably remain below my avg for June.

True story. Even the seaside village of Portland will bake. Indoor job FTW on days like Wed and Thu.

Yup, Office A/C will be in full operation, Probably will be wishing we had the temps at night that we have had the last few days on weds and thurs night this week

Late recovery from the low clouds, but we managed 65F and a sunny late afternoon.

We're up to 75F today...stayed near 60F for quite a while this morning with low overcast, but as soon as the sun came out we jumped quickly.

I can't imagine what another 15-20 degrees will feel like... haha.

Late recovery from the low clouds, but we managed 65F and a sunny late afternoon.

They burned off here by mid-afternoon yesterday. Climbed to a high of 69 thereafter--a full ten degrees +\- lower than forecasted.

Low clouds back in fairly thick this morning. We'll see how long it takes today for them to burn off...

Sun popping thru small holes in the (thinning) cloud deck here in AUG. This makes three half-and-half days in the past 4, with the breakup close to noon each time. GYX has the foothills with low 90s tomorrow, but appears to put us near/under the BD Thursday with mid 80s. Each gfs run has been getting wetter for days 3-8, had nearly 2" for that period for 06z.

"Each gfs run has been getting wetter for days 3-8, had nearly 2" for that period for 06z."

The trend continues for 12z, with 2"+ progged in 24 hr next Mon-Tues for PWM north thru WVL. 1st half of that is mostly convective, 2nd half stratiform. Not to be believed that far out, but I would not mind getting about half that much.

PC with hazy sun since shortly past noon in AUG, temp just over 70.

"Each gfs run has been getting wetter for days 3-8, had nearly 2" for that period for 06z."

The trend continues for 12z, with 2"+ progged in 24 hr next Mon-Tues for PWM north thru WVL. 1st half of that is mostly convective, 2nd half stratiform. Not to be believed that far out, but I would not mind getting about half that much.

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye on that. Hopefully it'll keep the severe drought at bay that I've read about in other threads.

I keep seeing these qpf numbers on the models, It also looks like cooler temps finishing off the month of June heading into July, We could use some rain but don't really need to see 2"+

I posted this in the Winter thread, but figured some folks from the NNE thread may find this interesting. This is how the Law of Averages and Climo come back to bite you in the ssa.

BTV's snowfall records date back to 1884. The average since then is 73.3". Meanwhile, the 30-year average since 1981 is 81.2" (a full 10" higher than the long term average). Its no secret that from 2000 onward, we have been in a snowfall surplus, but at BTV it has been borderline ridiculous in the 5 years prior to last winter. In the 5 winters prior to last winter, starting with the 2006-2007 snow season, BTV averaged a whopping 106.2". The only other 5-winter period to top that average is the stretch from 1968-1969 to 1972-1973, which averaged 109.0".

With that sort of surplus over climo, you knew a clunker winter was bound to happen, and last season's 37.7" was the 3rd lowest total in history. It is amazing how Mother Nature tries to even things out...

Also, its a little ironic how the 3rd snowiest winter on record is followed by the 3rd least snowiest winter on record.

The muggies are beginning to creep in this evening. 74/64 with little to no temp drop so far in the last couple of hours.

Yeah not good... started the day with a dew of 51F and have hit 66F now. Currently 77/66 and it just has that feel to the air that there will be very little cooling tonight. We're probably going to be lucky to get mid 60s here where we seem to radiate decently between the mountains. BTV probably not going below 70F with a persistent channeling south wind up the Champlain Valley.

Archived