joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer 2012

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Close to 40 at my place this morning, possibly another 39 - would be 3rd time this month. Nice to have the 30+ diurnal range for multiple days.

Yeah these days are my favorite in the warm season...large diurnal ranges. Crisp in the morning and warm for a few hours in the afternoon before the temp drops again.

Highest I've seen so far in Stowe is 82F today off a low of 41F for a nice 41 degree recovery.

Well, another mid-40s June morning. 15 out of 16 morning lows this month have been in the 40s so far and the one outlier was 52.

Glad to see some chances of showers, however low, starting to creep into the forecasts for next week. It's nice now, but we'll need a fresh watering before long.

Well, another mid-40s June morning. 15 out of 16 morning lows this month have been in the 40s so far and the one outlier was 52.

Yup.. another cool morning. Actually got to upper 40s in NWCT and local spot on Long Island. This was the 6:15am temps. An hour before had a degree or two cooler in some spots.

temps46.jpg

Yep... last three mornings here have been 46, 41, and 45 last night. Just awesome sleeping weather. Dare I say I woke up last night a bit chilly with the windows wide open?

Back home from Squam. 8 hours in the shell is kinda pushing me to the limit ... lol. But had a great time ... awesome views, crystal clear water, five-sun weather. Can't wait to make a visit during foliage season. Here's one last shot.

Did you see the Eagles nesting? It's such a beautiful lake.

Did you see the Eagles nesting? It's such a beautiful lake.

No, I didn't. I don't know where they are. I only paddled the western half today. However, I did see and take a pic of a bald eagle last week on Ossipee. One of those iconic pics where the eagle is on a limb of a dead tree on a point. Very cool.

No comment on the Berkshire GC as I've never been there, but it would be difficult to measure up to the lakes region. Now I need to explore Maine's mountain lakes.

No, I didn't. I don't know where they are. I only paddled the western half today. However, I did see and take a pic of a bald eagle last week on Ossipee. One of those iconic pics where the eagle is on a limb of a dead tree on a point. Very cool.

No comment on the Berkshire GC as I've never been there, but it would be difficult to measure up to the lakes region. Now I need to explore Maine's mountain lakes.

They're on a small island out in the middle of the lake. I think there is an Eagle couple on Winni too. Yeah the Maine lakes I would love to explore. I Did umbagoag lake up there on the NH/ME border before.

They're on a small island out in the middle of the lake. I think there is an Eagle couple on Winni too. Yeah the Maine lakes I would love to explore. I Did umbagoag lake up there on the NH/ME border before.

We have an eagle that can be seen several times a week in the winter when the water in front of me is open and the rest of the lake freezes.

I find loons infinitely superior though. We've had a pair hanging around all through the spring but they seem reluctant to vocalize.

Is there a sign that says there's nesting eagles? I happened upon a loon nesting site that had a couple of signs requesting I stay the fook away. I paddled around many islands, so maybe I was in the neighborhood.

I checked out Umbagog ... a bit more than two hours away, so I may have to wait until daybreak isn't like 4:50am. Much prefer the early morning hours.

We have an eagle that can be seen several times a week in the winter when the water in front of me is open and the rest of the lake freezes.

I find loons infinitely superior though. We've had a pair hanging around all through the spring but they seem reluctant to vocalize.

Well you would have been in heaven last fall. I saw at least 30 loons together on the lake. Couldn't believe it. There are some vocal ones that I hear now and then. I love that sound.

Is there a sign that says there's nesting eagles? I happened upon a loon nesting site that had a couple of signs requesting I stay the fook away. I paddled around many islands, so maybe I was in the neighborhood.

I checked out Umbagog ... a bit more than two hours away, so I may have to wait until daybreak isn't like 4:50am. Much prefer the early morning hours.

We want camping/canoeing there a few times. Hell of a drive from here. Beautiful area but I felt like I needed a weapon on me due to

Wildlife.

Well you would have been in heaven last fall. I saw at least 30 loons together on the lake. Couldn't believe it. There are some vocal ones that I hear now and then. I love that sound.

Those might have been mergansers, which are nearly identical looking from a distance and are commonly seen in groups, whereas loons are solitary and will generally launch into a fit of rage if they see another loon. However, you said it was fall and loons do sometimes form into small groups before migration back to the coast, so they could have been.

Last year the lake had 26 loon pairs and only 7 chicks survived.

Squam had 15 pairs produce 5 chicks, which is back to normal after the 2005 population crash.

Umbagog had 14 pairs and only one chick. This used to be the most prolific loon lake in the state with 31 pairs in 2000.

Lots of loons die because fisherman still use illegal lead fishing stuff.

Gonna figure this is more than you needed to know. :)

Those might have been mergansers, which are nearly identical looking from a distance and are commonly seen in groups, whereas loons are solitary and will generally launch into a fit of rage if they see another loon. However, you said it was fall and loons do sometimes form into small groups before migration back to the coast, so they could have been.

Last year the lake had 26 loon pairs and only 7 chicks survived.

Squam had 15 pairs produce 5 chicks, which is back to normal after the 2005 population crash.

Umbagog had 14 pairs and only one chick. This used to be the most prolific loon lake in the state with 31 pairs in 2000.

Lots of loons die because fisherman still use illegal lead fishing stuff.

Gonna figure this is more than you needed to know. :)

You could be right in your first comment. Looked like loons to me at first but perhaps they weren't. In any case it is nice to hear loons. Never heard them in all the years I've been there until several years ago.

Only hit 71F today with some SCT/BKN Cu at times and dews near 50F. That SE breeze made it chilly at times when the sun was behind the clouds. It feels like a crisp early September evening with it in the upper 50s already and 5-10mph winds continuing. Certainly no torch.

Archived