joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer 2012

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One more dark cloud rolling past AUG, though rain is light for the moment. Doppler estimate up to about 2" for MBY. However, central Somerset (Bingham/Moscow area) has some spots showing 6"+ estimate and a large area at 4"+.

Not only that, but my daughter's place in Decatur, IL just had a couple TS that appear to have dropped more than 1", probably surpassing all the rain they had between July 7 and yesterday. Probably too late for the corn, but may save the soybeans.

Back on June 1st, I provided an initial summary of our 2011-2012 winter weather here in Waterbury, Vermont, but I’ve now completed the full analysis of the data, and our 2011-2012 Winter Weather Page is up. The page covers all 45 of the accumulating snowstorms that hit our location in Northern Vermont this season, along with the usual collection of snowfall and snowpack plots and graphs:

http://jandeproducti...112weather.html

The detailed accounts of the individual snowstorms are comprised of text, links, graphs, photos, etc., and much of the text is derived from my posts and dialog here on the American Weather Forum. Thanks to the great features available on the forum, you can click on the icon associated with any quoted text in my reports, and you’ll be linked right to that post in its respective thread. Hopefully this will be useful for folks that are researching/reviewing winter storms. The list of linked storms from winter 2011-2012 has been added below for reference:

01. 10/29/11

02. 11/11/11

03. 11/17/11

04. 11/23/11

05. 12/02/11

06. 12/07/11

07. 12/09/11

08. 12/13/11

09. 12/17/11

10. 12/19/11

11. 12/21/11

12. 12/23/11

13. 12/25/11

14. 12/27/11

15. 12/30/11

16. 01/02/12

17. 01/05/12

18. 01/06/12

19. 01/10/12

20. 01/12/12

21. 01/17/12

22. 01/19/12

23. 01/21/12

24. 01/23/12

25. 01/26/12

26. 01/28/12

27. 01/29/12

28. 01/31/12

29. 02/03/12

30. 02/11/12

31. 02/13/12

32. 02/16/12

33. 02/21/12

34. 02/22/12

35. 02/24/12

36. 02/28/12

37. 02/29/12

38. 03/02/12

39. 03/04/12

40. 03/08/12

41. 03/09/12

42. 03/26/12

43. 03/28/12

44. 04/04/12

45. 04/26/12

Something new that we’ve also added this season is a gallery of our snow measurement devices in action, so other folks that measure snowfall may enjoy those images:

http://jandeproducti...ll-measurement/

So with just 115.3” of snow, 2011-2012 will go down as our least snowy in the six years that we’ve been collecting snowfall data here at our location, but at 67.0% of our 2006-2011 calculated average, that seems pretty nice compared to the snowfall experienced at some of the first-order New England stations like Burlington (51.4%) or Boston (21.2%). These types of seasons happen, but next season is already closing in fast, and hopefully snowfall totals will be much improved.

Also complete is our 2011-2012 Ski Season Summary, which contains sections detailing the Snowfall, Tree Skiing, and Snow Quality in Northern Vermont for this past season, as well as synopses for each month from October through May. It’s essentially more than anyone (except perhaps Powderfreak, adk, etc.) would ever want to know about how the ski season and the associated winter weather played out in Northern Vermont. The theme for this season wound up being “Surprisingly Good”, which fit in with a lot of conversations that Powderfreak and I had on the forum. I’ll also post an announcement for that report in the 2011-2012 ski season thread, but here’s the link for our website:

http://jandeproducti...season-summary/

J.Spin... I love your summary and radar images and snowfall forecast maps for the big storm at the end of February last winter. (http://jandeproductions.com/2012/24FEB12weather.html).

I really enjoy looking back through the snow samples and this one really stands out....the classic upslope fluff where you get 8.4" of snow with 0.18" of liquid, lol. No wonder that stuff skied so nicely...its like 98% air:

Event totals: 20.2” Snow/1.13” L.E.

During the six hour period from 4:30 P.M. to 10:30 P.M., 8.4 inches of snow accumulated on the snowboard here at the house, so the snowfall rate has averaged just a bit shy of 1.5 inch/hr. In the 4:30 P.M. analysis, the snow density came in at 3.8% (26.3 to 1 ratio), and because there was a bit of denser snow at the bottom of the stack, I figured this round of accumulation might come in even drier. Well it did. The 8.4 inches that I sampled at 10:30 P.M. contained just 0.18 inches of liquid, indicating that the snow is at 2.1% H2O (46.7 to 1 ratio). I don’t believe I have ever had a stack that tall come in at such a high snow to water ratio, in fact, I was surprised enough that I went out and ran an entire independent analysis from a different location. That second analysis came in at 2.3% H2O (44.4 to 1 ratio), which I’m sure is within the error of this analysis, so I’m very confident in the numbers.

Speaking of which, the wife and I will be spending a few days/nights on Georgetown Island in Maine the week/weekend after Labor Day. Looking forward to it. I used to work on a boat out of Rockland but haven't spent much time over there since then (mid-90s).

Ha, what a coincidence, we are on the island the week before you leading up to Labor Day. Hard to go wrong Allenson, enjoy yourselves. NIce farmer's market, a general store that rivals any in VT, the lobster prices are down, and the geary's pale ale is available in every store, what's not to love, hahahaha

couple of good downpours up this way, cold rain, little bit of nippiness on the bike to work this morning and a nice shot of cold rain while pressure washing the siding reminded me fall is just around the corner

what a great summer though, tad dry, but no complaints, here's one from last weekend's walk, double top of gilpin mt in the distance, busy on the LT saw 3 people

IMG_3028.jpg

Hey NNE peeps...i'm seriously thinking about hiking Mt Washington tomorrow...anyone care to join...forecast for the summit looks good...high of 50, west wind 18-25mph...just wanted to throw the idea out there just in case any of you had a free day and would like to do the hike

Hey NNE peeps...i'm seriously thinking about hiking Mt Washington tomorrow...anyone care to join...forecast for the summit looks good...high of 50, west wind 18-25mph...just wanted to throw the idea out there just in case any of you had a free day and would like to do the hike

I am going there tomorrow, but I'll be at the trailhead by daybreak. Taking the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail to the hut and then head over to MWN, taking Jewell down.

I am going there tomorrow, but I'll be at the trailhead by daybreak. Taking the Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail to the hut and then head over to MWN, taking Jewell down.

Hopefully the weather does not disappoint, The Ammanoosuc is steep in places. Once you get up close the the Lakes Hut and treeline you'll travel over some rocky slabs. As always slippery when wet. The hike from the hut up to the summit can be a challenge in the clouds. Just make sure to watch for the cairns that mark the trail. I love that route. On the way down if the views are there, the Gulf of Slides is incredible. Youu travel along the rim of the ravine. The hike down Jewell is rather benigh but a nice respite from the earlier hike. Nice route. Can't wait for your photos.

Hopefully the weather does not disappoint, The Ammanoosuc is steep in places. Once you get up close the the Lakes Hut and treeline you'll travel over some rocky slabs. As always slippery when wet. The hike from the hut up to the summit can be a challenge in the clouds. Just make sure to watch for the cairns that mark the trail. I love that route. On the way down if the views are there, the Gulf of Slides is incredible. Youu travel along the rim of the ravine. The hike down Jewell is rather benigh but a nice respite from the earlier hike. Nice route. Can't wait for your photos.

Thanks for the pointers. :)

Been eying the weather all week. Current forecast says clouds in morning giving way to sun in afternoon; hopefully it'll speed up some. But either way I'm going up.

yup...high about 50 at the summit...winds 18-25mph...

i was thinking i might try to get a camping spot along the kancamagus...Jigger Johnson or something...firtst come first serve...i would have to do that first...looks like with your time frame...you will start ahead of me by a couple hrs...was gonna try to leave my house by 5am...wouldn't get up there till 8am...you would prob be done with the hike by then LOL!!!

yup...high about 50 at the summit...winds 18-25mph...

i was thinking i might try to get a camping spot along the kancamagus...Jigger Johnson or something...firtst come first serve...i would have to do that first...looks like with your time frame...you will start ahead of me by a couple hrs...was gonna try to leave my house by 5am...wouldn't get up there till 8am...you would prob be done with the hike by then LOL!!!

Perhaps another time. Would be fun to hike with somebody - maybe we could do a car drop.

Perhaps another time. Would be fun to hike with somebody - maybe we could do a car drop.

if you are still awake, check your pm's...

pehaps you are sleeping since you are getting up wicked super early to be at trailhead by day-break...i guess let me know what trail you are descending...if i go up that one, we should cross paths...

:) happy hiking!

if you are still awake, check your pm's...

pehaps you are sleeping since you are getting up wicked super early to be at trailhead by day-break...i guess let me know what trail you are descending...if i go up that one, we should cross paths...

:) happy hiking!

Still awake, lying in bed. Up at 3:00 latest. Coming down Jewell, which I've read and Bob confirmed is a relatively easy trail down.

Still awake, lying in bed. Up at 3:00 latest. Coming down Jewell, which I've read and Bob confirmed is a relatively easy trail down.

ok, i will go up that trail...hopefully we cross paths..plus, there is a cool swimming hole not far from the parking lot for the Ammanoosuc/Jewell Trail head...i jumped in after the last time i hiked Mt Washington...i'm gonna look it up..i'll pm it to you if i can find it

ok, i will go up that trail...hopefully we cross paths..plus, there is a cool swimming hole not far from the parking lot for the Ammanoosuc/Jewell Trail head...i jumped in after the last time i hiked Mt Washington...i'm gonna look it up..i'll pm it to you if i can find it

Cool, sounds good. I sent you a pm for contact info.

Ha, what a coincidence, we are on the island the week before you leading up to Labor Day. Hard to go wrong Allenson, enjoy yourselves. NIce farmer's market, a general store that rivals any in VT, the lobster prices are down, and the geary's pale ale is available in every store, what's not to love, hahahaha

Excellent! Love Geary's though we don't find it much around here... The Old Thumper is pretty tasty too. We're looking forward to it--just something a little different from here. I've spent a lot of time near the shore in my days and something we obviously don't have here in the deep hills. ;)

Clear and nice here this AM. Missed most of the rain yesterday. Would've been nice to have a soaking since not much is in the forecast coming up but I think we'll make it, lol.

J.Spin... I love your summary and radar images and snowfall forecast maps for the big storm at the end of February last winter. (http://jandeproducti...B12weather.html).

I really enjoy looking back through the snow samples and this one really stands out....the classic upslope fluff where you get 8.4" of snow with 0.18" of liquid, lol. No wonder that stuff skied so nicely...its like 98% air:

Event totals: 20.2” Snow/1.13” L.E.

During the six hour period from 4:30 P.M. to 10:30 P.M., 8.4 inches of snow accumulated on the snowboard here at the house, so the snowfall rate has averaged just a bit shy of 1.5 inch/hr. In the 4:30 P.M. analysis, the snow density came in at 3.8% (26.3 to 1 ratio), and because there was a bit of denser snow at the bottom of the stack, I figured this round of accumulation might come in even drier. Well it did. The 8.4 inches that I sampled at 10:30 P.M. contained just 0.18 inches of liquid, indicating that the snow is at 2.1% H2O (46.7 to 1 ratio). I don’t believe I have ever had a stack that tall come in at such a high snow to water ratio, in fact, I was surprised enough that I went out and ran an entire independent analysis from a different location. That second analysis came in at 2.3% H2O (44.4 to 1 ratio), which I’m sure is within the error of this analysis, so I’m very confident in the numbers.

Yeah, that was definitely the storm of the season around here – it had both quantity and quality. Usually there's more room for debate, but there was nothing else that really came close to that one in 2011-2012. Total snowfall isn’t everything for an event, but in the top five storms list from last season (added below), #2 on the list fell right off below the one foot mark, which has never happened since we started collecting snowfall data here. Storm #5 is even below a half foot, and that’s also never happened before – usually even #5 is still up near that one-foot mark. Hopefully Mother Nature will get back to something more typical for 2012-2013.

2011-2012 - Top five Waterbury snowfall events

1. 22.7 inches (2/24/12-2/26/12)

2. 11.7 inches (1/12/12-1/14/12)

3. 11.0 inches (11/23/11)

4. 9.7 inches (12/27/11-12/28/11)

5. 5.1 inches (12/25/11-12/26/11)

Archived