12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NNE Summer 2012

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice looking line running as due N-S as any I've seen. Not sure the north end of this one reaches my place, but there will be more. Nice breeze thia aft, though it's blowing low 70s TD air around. To move is to sweat.

Looks like i may catch a piece of that line here if it holds together

This is disgusting... easily the most humid airmass of the warm season up here so far. Its been swampy for days but this takes the cake with widespread near 70+ dews.

BTV at 85/72 with a hotter heat index than back in July when it was 91/48.

Also getting some solid wind gusts out of the south now... BTV gusting near 30mph, interior valleys 20-25mph, Mansfield's been anywhere from 40-60mph (highest was 59mph so far). Just a crankin' south flow.

Not the hottest day of the summer but yeah, yesterday was right up there as one of, if not the, nastiest of the season. Right before the rains fainlly got here last night, it was still 76F at 9pm or so. Almost unheard of here. Ugly.

On a better note though--very nice and refreshing this morning. Still humid but at least cooler and the air is actually moving.

Picked up 0.60" last night with a few flashes and rumbles but nothing crazy. I was hoping to see more rain than that but I'll gladly take it.

Much nicer air, after yesterday's dewpoint max for the summer (I hope.) Unfortunately the north end of that line of storms merely grazed MBY - 0.06" with a single distant rumble, plus another 0.02" about midnight from the remains of line #2. However, because of the 0.7" downpour on 8/1, my August total is now 0.96", only 0.03" below the total for July.

Question for my NNE bretheren. My wife and son are spending the week in Old Orchard Beach and since I couldn't get the whole week off, I am heading over Thursday to see them. Which route would you choose for the drive?

• US 302 through Crawford Notch
  • US 302 - NH 112 (Kancamagus) - US 302
  • I89 - I93 - NH 101 - I95/Maine Turnpike
  • Some other route I haven't done before.

I am partial to the Kanc or 302 through the Crawford Notch but realize how much going through N. Conway sucks. I am interested in other choices that wouldn't cost me too much extra time and am hoping you guys can come up with better, more interesting options than mapquest.

Might try Wells River to Woodsville then up thru Kinsman Notch to Lincoln and the Kanc. The drive along the Wild Ammonoosuc is quite pretty and the final turns up to the notch are sharper and steeper even than Kancamagus, though the notch elevation is 1,000' lower. Of course, you already know there's no easy way to go W-E (or E-W) across NNE.

Man what a day...

All day in the 50s up at 4,000ft with stiff NW winds. High of 71F so far for 1,500ft base of Mansfield and 75F at MVL at 700ft out in the valley.

Currently 72/53 and partly sunny.

Lots of clouds though they are the small popcorn type stuff.

Going for the 40s tonight. Sweet.

Tonight: Clear. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the upper 40s. West winds around 10 mph until midnight...becoming light and variable.

Montpelier, VT is struggling to hit 70F... impressive CAA.

Yes, it has been beautiful today. This is the type of day that has convinced me that I am never buying a black car with black interior again. Walking to the car thinking how nice it is and then as soon as I open the door I'm hit with a wall of heat. Even driving with the windows open on a sunny day is almost unbearable.

Might try Wells River to Woodsville then up thru Kinsman Notch to Lincoln and the Kanc. The drive along the Wild Ammonoosuc is quite pretty and the final turns up to the notch are sharper and steeper even than Kancamagus, though the notch elevation is 1,000' lower. Of course, you already know there's no easy way to go W-E (or E-W) across NNE.

Thanks for the tip. I have never been through Kinsman. Now avoiding Conway is the next trick.

Edit: whoops, scratch that. I always called that "Lost River". Nice road.

Question for my NNE bretheren. My wife and son are spending the week in Old Orchard Beach and since I couldn't get the whole week off, I am heading over Thursday to see them. Which route would you choose for the drive?

I am partial to the Kanc or 302 through the Crawford Notch but realize how much going through N. Conway sucks. I am interested in other choices that wouldn't cost me too much extra time and am hoping you guys can come up with better, more interesting options than mapquest.

Is Thursday a disaster day in North Conway? I went through there on Wednesday a couple weeks back on return from Santa's Village and it wasn't horrific at all. I guess what I'm saying is that the drive through Crawford Notch is worth the price of a couple of backed up signals in N. Con in my opinion.

I would say one of the first 2 options are probably the best to get over to OOB

Traveling through N.Conway is not as bad as it used to be. They have the bypass North-South Road that you can take to avoid the downtown. Take a left at the lights as you enter downtown onto Kearsarge Rd and then take a right just before the tracks. Follow this road all the way to the end and you'll end up back on Rt 302 s of N. Conway. One other detour I typically like to take is Rt 113. It sort of parallels Rt 302 but I find it to be more picturesque. I've enc;losed a Google map of the route.

http://maps.google.c...&via=1,2,3&z=15

How about a high of only 71 here yesterday? Loved it. Lot of cloud cover kept it nice and cool--even on a south facing roof.

Down to a dewy 50 for a low this morn.

The 89/93/101/95 route is the fastest by far but clearly not the most scenic. You could come down 302/25 to Bradford, VT, cross the river into Piermont, NH and then up and over 25C to Warren, NH. Nice views of Moosilauke on that road. From Warren, you can go over 118 and down to Lincoln, NH and then over the Kanc from there all the way to 16... This will take you into Conway but it avoids the BS in N. Conway. Also, from Conway you can take 153 south through Eaton and Freedom, NH which is a real pretty ride and avoids busy 16. From 25, you can head into Maine and then head south on 5. Looks like that route is right through Jayhawks hood.

Is Thursday a disaster day in North Conway? I went through there on Wednesday a couple weeks back on return from Santa's Village and it wasn't horrific at all. I guess what I'm saying is that the drive through Crawford Notch is worth the price of a couple of backed up signals in N. Con in my opinion.

I would say one of the first 2 options are probably the best to get over to OOB

Traveling through N.Conway is not as bad as it used to be. They have the bypass North-South Road that you can take to avoid the downtown. Take a left at the lights as you enter downtown onto Kearsarge Rd and then take a right just before the tracks. Follow this road all the way to the end and you'll end up back on Rt 302 s of N. Conway. One other detour I typically like to take is Rt 113. It sort of parallels Rt 302 but I find it to be more picturesque. I've enc;losed a Google map of the route.

http://maps.google.c...&via=1,2,3&z=15

I don't think N. Conway is as bad as it used to be and Crawford is spectacular, I was just wondering if there was an alternate that I hadn't tried before. The other bonus about 302 is going through the Sebago Lake region. I absolutely kove that area. I have no set schedule and am going to do a little exploring. Thanks for the input.

I don't think N. Conway is as bad as it used to be and Crawford is spectacular, I was just wondering if there was an alternate that I hadn't tried before. The other bonus about 302 is going through the Sebago Lake region. I absolutely kove that area. I have no set schedule and am going to do a little exploring. Thanks for the input.

There is also Hurricane Mountain Road, which cuts across the mountains from N. Conway.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=NH-16+S%2FUS-302+E%2FWhite+Mountain+Hwy&daddr=Green+Hill+Rd&hl=en&ll=44.0681,-71.086864&spn=0.097809,0.154324&sll=44.069519,-71.035838&sspn=0.024452,0.038581&geocode=FTSRoAId5oHC-w%3BFSyQoAIdBSfE-w&t=h&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=15&z=13

Always a fun drive. The drive through the Sebago area is heavily congested during the summer. Rt 113 would be an alternate.

There is also Hurricane Mountain Road, which cuts across the mountains from N. Conway.

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=NH-16+S%2FUS-302+E%2FWhite+Mountain+Hwy&daddr=Green+Hill+Rd&hl=en&ll=44.0681,-71.086864&spn=0.097809,0.154324&sll=44.069519,-71.035838&sspn=0.024452,0.038581&geocode=FTSRoAId5oHC-w%3BFSyQoAIdBSfE-w&t=h&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=15&z=13

Always a fun drive. The drive through the Sebago area is heavily congested during the summer. Rt 113 would be an alternate.

Hurricane Mt Road is great. However, last time I went over it (was heading into Maine) was the fall after the 1998 ice storm. Worst damage I saw anyplace - and I saw lots in Maine/NH - was in a beech-heavy stand just east of the road's highest point. I'd guess that crown loss exceeded 90% and the debris was ricked up 6-10' high around the trees' bases. I tracked for 10 years a stand NW of LEW that had sustained 60% crown loss, and by year 8 the majority oaks and ash had almost completely rebuilt their crowns. The beech, however, had mostly died.

Taking turns between brisk powderfreak days and steamy eekuasepinniw days.

Haha yep.

Today was just about perfect for me... low of 50F this morning followed by a high of 82F. Up on the mountain it was in the upper 60s up high with not much wind and a lot of sun so it felt fairly warm.

Certainly a warmer day yesterday than the day prior. Mid/upper 70s here, low 80s in the valley. Less clouds too making the south facing roof a very hot place to work. Almost done with that side and going to try to get it done this morning before the sun really gets cooking.

Even though I have a ton of outside work to do, I'm liking the advertised rainfall coming our way. Looks like it might be widespread over the whole region, so we can all benefit.

Archived