• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NNE Summer 2012

dryslot

68/66, steady rain, falling quite heavily now. .33" down. Looks like we can l-l-l-l-lock up another sub-70° day, the second in four days.

Wow impressive on another sub 70F day.

I've hit 82F on the home station and MVL has hit 84F a few miles further out in the valley. I will say its been highly variable temps though due to the sporadic nature of the dark cumulous over head... one minute its 82F the next its 77F as a cloud moves over head.

I wish this map had a more tight color scale to show the difference between the spots in the 60s still and the low 80s up this way.

This map shows the cold better... nice little pocket in ME/NH of cool temps in the rain band, but outside of that its upper 70s and lower 80s.

Even CAR and FVE are near 80F while its in the 60s in southern ME.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3.89" on the month over this way. Hopefully you can pick up some more... 1" in the warmest month of the year is a little lacking I'd say.

Yes, It has not been a good month after receiving over 11" for June

Jeff's just been getting the shaft. PWM is over 4" on the month including today. Hvy hvy gradient.

Shaft is what it has been, Perfect example is yesterday, 2 miles away from the homestead got over 1.00" in a heavy shower yesterday that lasted almost 1hr and i got .0.07", We have been missed from all directions this month, Then to make matters worse, All of LEW automated climatic data has been down for several weeks...... :(

Midmorning shower added 0.05", biggest "downpour" in 5 days with near constant forecasts for significant precip, totalling 0.09". Month now at 0.99", not much from 11 days with measurable rain (plus 3 with trace.) Garden is dusty dry, under cloudy sub-70 skies - can't expect much production that way.

Likely1"+ of rainfall with that burst within a 45 minute time period.

We have been missing the rain the past few days but just made up for it very quickly.

Radar estimates are around 1" here.

Edit: My neighbor (also a big weather nut) just showed me his rain gage that was empty prior to this storm, and although the gage only has markings every quarter inch (one of those garden gage things) and the rainfall from that storm is approximately 1.15" (1.0<1.25) in 40-45 minutes.

VTZ006-008-018-292345-

EASTERN ADDISON VT-LAMOILLE VT-WASHINGTON VT-

651 PM EDT SUN JUL 29 2012

...HEAVY RAIN PRODUCING THUNDERSTORMS WILL MOVE THROUGH EASTERN

ADDISON...LAMOILLE AND WESTERN WASHINGTON COUNTIES THROUGH 8 PM...

AT 641 PM EDT...THUNDERSTORMS PRODUCING HEAVY RAINFALL WERE LOCATED

FROM STOWE TO WATERBURY TO MORETOWN...MOVING SOUTH AT 10 MPH.

VERY HEAVY RAIN WILL CAUSE WATER TO POND ON ROADS AND IN POOR

DRAINAGE AREAS. THERE MAY BE RAPID RISES ON SMALL STREAMS AND

CREEKS.

DOPPLER RADAR ESTIMATES LOCALIZED RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES

WITH THESE STORMS FROM NEAR STOWE TO MORETOWN.

^ ^ Yep, been foggy the past two mornings. Normally at the house we're above the morning CT valley fog but this morning it was right up to 2000' or so.

Kinda sneaky hot out there today... Especially in town. Always nice to get home to the leafy shade after a day in the asphalt world. Blah.

^ ^ Yep, been foggy the past two mornings. Normally at the house we're above the morning CT valley fog but this morning it was right up to 2000' or so.

Kinda sneaky hot out there today... Especially in town. Always nice to get home to the leafy shade after a day in the asphalt world. Blah.

Definitely sneaky hot... 84F for a high off a low of 59F with some humidity. Looking at the forecast from BTV, the next 7 days look solidly above normal and may average out to be our hottest period of the summer so far. With increased humidity and highs in the 80s with lows in the 58-64F range, August is going to start out above normal.

I really want to go back to the dry heat we had for a lot of June/July. I'd rather have near 90F with dews in the 40s over these low/mid 80s with dews in the 60s. With the low dews we were plummeting quickly after sun down, where as now with the humidity its a much slower process... the heat seems to linger longer into the evening.

Surprise 0.16" this morning - forecast had been for precip to stay east. Not a whole lot, but a welcome overperformer.

July summary

Avg high...77.87

Avg low....54.10

Avg mean...65.96 That's about +0.6 compared to my avg since 1998.

Highest...88

Lowest...43 (twice)

Rainfall...0.99" Lowest for July (prev: 1.24" in 2010) and 5yh month here with under 1".

Abundant sun and little rain has brought surface dryness, though the June rains have kept the water table from moving too much (so far.) Forecast for 1st week of Augusts looks to run 5-7F above my normals.

Some NNE data (temp might be off a tenth or two):

CAR...+2.1...1.73"

BGR...+1.9...0.59" Driest station I've noted.

PWM...+2.0...4.31"

CON...+1.5...3.29"

Warm but not re markably so, and dry north of PWM.

Departures for July from the northern/central VT ASOS stations...

BTV...+2.4F

MVL...+1.1F (last couple of days killed our shot at 0F departure)

MPV...+0.4F

1V4... -1.1F

So essentially as you move from west to east across VT, the departures decrease from +2.4F at BTV to -1.1F at Saint Johnsbury on the NH border.

We appear to be getting a sneak preview of our upgraded radar today.

THE DUAL POLARIZATION RADAR INSTALLATION AT THE NATIONAL

WEATHER SERVICE SITE IN GRAY MAINE IS IN PROGRESS. GRAY MAINE

/KGYX/ RADAR DATA MAY BECOME AVAILABLE IN THE NEAR FUTURE AFTER

FOLLOW UP TESTING OF THIS NEW EQUIPMENT.

THE DUAL POLARIZATION RADAR INSTALLATION AT THE NATIONAL

WEATHER SERVICE SITE IN GRAY MAINE IS IN PROGRESS. GRAY MAINE

/KGYX/ RADAR DATA MAY BECOME AVAILABLE IN THE NEAR FUTURE AFTER

FOLLOW UP TESTING OF THIS NEW EQUIPMENT.

Hrm... the GYX homepage says it's complete now. They seem to have budgeted a wee bit more time than actually needed.

Hrm... the GYX homepage says it's complete now. They seem to have budgeted a wee bit more time than actually needed.

The statement i posted was at the bottom of this am's AFD, It very well could be finalized and it was not updated, Looks like CAR is up next starting tomorrow (Aug 2nd)

Got a nice surprise last evening, 0.7" rain 7-9 PM, direct hit from one of the small cells that popped up in mid-aft. Its trajectory suggests it was the same cell that sloshed 2.44" on Norway, though the cocorahs observer reporting that did not give times of precip. With the morning rain, my total was 0.88", not quite equal to my total for July. Given the intensity of rainfall about 8 last eve, I was surprised not to hear/see any signs of lightning.

Pretty steamy ths morning, cloudy with temp a bit under 70 at 6:45.

I keep forgetting how much hotter the BTV area in the CPV is from the rest of Vermont in the summer. Living there in second and third floor apartments I just remember how hot it was at night in the city. The BTV numbers at the airport are cooler than downtown but they are still quite warm relative to areas outside the CPV. It was those overnight temps that were killer when your window fans are blowing 80F air inside at midnight.

Yesterday's max/min... notice how the max temps follow normal adiabatic lapse rates between the three sites, but at night

BTV (330ft)...85/67

MVL (730ft)...82/60

MPV (1100ft)...80/61

Then there's 1V4 Saint Johnsbury which was 79/58 at the 700ft ASOS elevation... I have no idea what is going on over in the upper CT River Valley on the border of NH, but the have been having a beautiful summer over there. -1.1F for July and they continue to seem to run colder than the other VT stations. Wonderful cold pocket this summer up there.

Picked up 0.11" last evening being grazed by a pop-up thunder shower....

Then there's 1V4 Saint Johnsbury which was 79/58 at the 700ft ASOS elevation... I have no idea what is going on over in the upper CT River Valley on the border of NH, but the have been having a beautiful summer over there. -1.1F for July and they continue to seem to run colder than the other VT stations. Wonderful cold pocket this summer up there.

Granted, my numbers here in Corinth only go back to 2007, but I averaged 66.3 this past July vs 65.5 for all my July obs combined since I started doing this. So, a +0.8 for me overall. Averaged 77.1 for highs vs 76.6 and 55.5 for lows vs 54.4

Again, not a very long sample size though.

Eastern VT tends to go very calm at night and thus radiates pretty well, if clear. Maybe cool nights have helped. A quick look shows that St. J came in at a -1.0 for lows in July...

Picked up 0.11" last evening being grazed by a pop-up thunder shower....

Granted, my numbers here in Corinth only go back to 2007, but I averaged 66.3 this past July vs 65.5 for all my July obs combined since I started doing this. So, a +0.8 for me overall. Averaged 77.1 for highs vs 76.6 and 55.5 for lows vs 54.4

Again, not a very long sample size though.

Eastern VT tends to go very calm at night and thus radiates pretty well, if clear. Maybe cool nights have helped. A quick look shows that St. J came in at a -1.0 for lows in July...

Yeah you with a +0.8F fits right in with MVL (+1.1) and MPV (+0.4). I think its cool to analyze and try to figure out how St Johnsbury came in with the coldest departure relative to normal of any ASOS in New England.

I think cool nights definitely helped all three of the main interior VT sites of Morrisville-Stowe, Montpelier, and St Johnsbury. However, Morrisville-Stowe radiates just as good, if not better, and MVL had the lowest average minimum temperature of any of the ASOS sites in VT. However, daytime highs were higher at MVL (we just seem to get some big diurnal swings here between the Spine and Worcester Range).

Because there isn't much else to talk about... here's the July stats for the three stations:

Station...Average High...Average Low...Average Daily...Departure

1V4...80.8F...57.0F...68.9F...-1.1F (highest temp was 90F, lowest was 46F)

MVL...82.5F...55.1F...68.8F...+1.1F (highest temp was 92F, lowest was 43F)

MPV...79.7F...55.3F...67.5F...+0.4F (highest temp was 90F, lowest was 44F)

Somehow, Saint Johnsbury (700ft) and Morrisville-Stowe (730ft) had an almost identical monthly temperature yet 1V4 was -1.1 and MVL was +1.1F. Something seems interesting there. MPV makes sense being another 1.5F lower due to their higher elevation above 1,100ft.

Yeah you with a +0.8F fits right in with MVL (+1.1) and MPV (+0.4). I think its cool to analyze and try to figure out how St Johnsbury came in with the coldest departure relative to normal of any ASOS in New England.

I think cool nights definitely helped all three of the main interior VT sites of Morrisville-Stowe, Montpelier, and St Johnsbury. However, Morrisville-Stowe radiates just as good, if not better, and MVL had the lowest average minimum temperature of any of the ASOS sites in VT. However, daytime highs were higher at MVL (we just seem to get some big diurnal swings here between the Spine and Worcester Range).

Because there isn't much else to talk about... here's the July stats for the three stations:

Station...Average High...Average Low...Average Daily...Departure

1V4...80.8F...57.0F...68.9F...-1.1F (highest temp was 90F, lowest was 46F)

MVL...82.5F...55.1F...68.8F...+1.1F (highest temp was 92F, lowest was 43F)

MPV...79.7F...55.3F...67.5F...+0.4F (highest temp was 90F, lowest was 44F)

Somehow, Saint Johnsbury (700ft) and Morrisville-Stowe (730ft) had an almost identical monthly temperature yet 1V4 was -1.1 and MVL was +1.1F. Something seems interesting there. MPV makes sense being another 1.5F lower due to their higher elevation above 1,100ft.

You know, this reflects exactly how the month felt too. Some hot days but nothing outrageous and some very nice nights. In other words, normal NNE summer weather. What stands out the most to me is the precip. MPV was -2.28" on the month, in fact, I thought we might have been even drier.

You know, this reflects exactly how the month felt too. Some hot days but nothing outrageous and some very nice nights. In other words, normal NNE summer weather. What stands out the most to me is the precip. MPV was -2.28" on the month, in fact, I thought we might have been even drier.

Actually I think it may have been wetter than that... Montpelier is missing data from July 24th which was the NW flow upslope rain event day.

Look at the climate report for the 24th and see 0.00" (and a bunch of missing temp data):

Then look at the Daily Climate Map for precipitation reports from CoOps and CoCoRAHS:

precip_072412.png

MPV probably picked up at a minimum 1.0" of additional rainfall on this day, maybe as high as 1.5".

MVL had even less at 1.27" for the month, but as I've posted before, I don't trust that number. There's something funky going on, and the NWS has noticed it too.... the ASOS is ALWAYS the lowest in Lamoille County.

For one, since MVL reported 1.27" for the entire MONTH, that can't be close to correct because on July 24th alone all of Lamoille County saw 1.5"< rainfall. Stowe CoCoRAHS had 2.14" that day and MVL only reported 0.44" which if you look at the map above, there's no way less than a half inch of rain fell just north of Stowe in the middle of the county.

We ended the month with 4.13" of rainfall here in Stowe.

Archived