Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
NNE Summer 2012

dryslot

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow what a fun 24 hour period of weather...

Last night's storms (there were like 3-4 different storms) were pretty intense for a time, and we picked up some much needed very heavy rainfall.

Here are how the rainfall totals shaped up in the town of Stowe:

Stowe Village (CoCoRAHS)... 2.14"

Stowe Ski Area (Base)... 2.01"

Stowe Ski Area (Mansfield Co-Op)... 2.50"

Here's the CoCoRAHS map of last night's precip...

And here's BTV's 24-hour rainfall totals through this morning... this area of the Greens picked up some much needed rainfall with a general 2-3" rainfall and even a few spot amounts over 3" along the western slope communities.

Then today on Mansfield, were some of the most sustained winds I've ever seen in the summer... this was grass flattening constant roaring at the Cliff House (3,700ft) gondola station and we were clocking constant 40-50mph winds on top of the lift. It looks like the summit weather station was also in that same range today.

Add to the fact that the temp at 8am was in the low 60s but by the end of the day was mid 50s it felt downright cold with those temps and wind gusts to 50mph. First day in a long time I had to put on a long sleeved base layer to stay warm up there.

Polar air rushing in.

Tell me about it... spent all day battling 30-50mph winds at significant elevation and we usually do not see those types of winds during the summer except during brief periods of FROPAs. This was all day long, just a constant roar in the summit building.

Definitely could tell some much colder air was moving in because its also very rare for temps to fall all day long in July. Four separate heavy rainers moved through today, as well.

Along with the idea of cooler, polar air rushing in.... that mixing of airmasses (the humid, moist, warm airmass and the polar one) created some of the densest fog I've seen in a long time. All day long it was just a whiteout and not in a good way.

Driving up the work road you could barely see 20 feet in front of you from about 2,500ft and above.

Dense fog.

Around 4pm the ceiling lifted enough for us to get a few glimpses of the valley below, but Mansfield's dark cloud hung tough all day long and we never did see anything close to sunshine over the mountain.

Awesome day in progress...low humidity and steady north wind even in the valley.

Judging by the speed of the clouds across the summit the wind must still be ripping up there.

Last night the wind never died and we never cleared out with orographic debris spilling off the Spine...so only hit 56F for a low. Reminds me of those fall days when you are expecting a frost only to wake up to pesky clouds and NW flow spitting sprinkles and flurries.

Awesome day in progress...low humidity and steady north wind even in the valley.

Judging by the speed of the clouds across the summit the wind must still be ripping up there.

Just past the 16-yr mark for MWN's windiest summer day, 7/20/96. I think their avg speed for the 24 hr was 99 mph. I know it was gusting 50s or more at 40' elev in South Gardiner, Maine. We were at a wedding reception held under a tent next to the church, and all day we had to keep resetting the 4'-long stakes to keep the whole thing from flying off. 60s with sprinkles all aft.

Edit, from MWN faqs: Also worthy of mention was our windiest summer day ever, July 20, 1996, when the wind averaged 100 miles per hour for the entire day, and gusted to 153 miles per hour.

Got a nice little surprise, 5-minute TS, at 6 yesterday aft. Only 0.07" but expectation was nil, and a couple close strikes, one within 1,500' or less. July precip now 0.90"; my driest July was 1.24" last year - either we get something useful tomorrow-Fri or a new record.

Great one out there today. Everytime I step outside, I say "ahhhh". Purty nice one.

Should be interesting to see what happens tomorrow. I wouldn't mind seeing another good soaker to really pull us out of any dry spell we've been in. It's much better now than it was a week ago here but more water works for me.

Last night the wind never died and we never cleared out with orographic debris spilling off the Spine...so only hit 56F for a low. Reminds me of those fall days when you are expecting a frost only to wake up to pesky clouds and NW flow spitting sprinkles and flurries.

Similar here overnight. Never cleared out totally but still got down to 54 with calm winds in the hollow. The clouds were pretty cool this morning racing overhead, pretty much due north-to-south. Usually there's a little bit more of a NW-SE component but not so this morn.

July precip now 0.90"; my driest July was 1.24" last year - either we get something useful tomorrow-Fri or a new record.

We've made up some ground here--up to 3.00" even for July. Looked back at last July and found only 2.28" for the month. I remember it getting dry for a while but a robust 11+" in August (7+" of which was Irene) squelched any fears of drought, lol.

We've made up some ground here--up to 3.00" even for July. Looked back at last July and found only 2.28" for the month. I remember it getting dry for a while but a robust 11+" in August (7+" of which was Irene) squelched any fears of drought, lol.

Irene dumped about 4.4" in my gauge, and spread it out enough so there was little-no damage, unlike up to Sugarloaf where 8" blew out the highway on both sides of the area's entry road, and brought the Carrabasset to its 2nd highest flood flow in 90 yr records (albeit wa-a-a-ay behind 1987.)

12z gfs has 0.66" to 0.95" for nearby locations Th-F, with WVL the lowest. 60 miles north of there, Greenville's estimate is 0.06". Must be a sharp line between haves and have-nots (and the convection thread shows things edging south.)

12z gfs has 0.66" to 0.95" for nearby locations Th-F, with WVL the lowest. 60 miles north of there, Greenville's estimate is 0.06". Must be a sharp line between haves and have-nots (and the convection thread shows things edging south.)

Yep, looks pretty tight heading northeast. A good soaking though for many on tap according to the latest three-day map:

post-2284-0-28723000-1343244984_thumb.gi

EQUIPMENT...

SPECIAL NOTE: COMMUNICATIONS CIRCUIT STILL OUT AT KRKD AND KLEW. TAF

FOR KRKD WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE "AMD NOT SKED" UNTIL COMMUNICATIONS

PROBLEMS ARE RESOLVED. AT THIS TIME WE HAVE NO ESTIMATE OF WHEN A

RETURN TO SERVICE IS EXPECTED.

THE DUAL POLARIZATION RADAR INSTALLATION WILL BE INSTALLED AT THE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SITE IN GRAY MAINE STARTING ON OR

ABOUT FRIDAY JULY 27. DURING THE INSTALLATION AND FOLLOW UP

TESTING OF THIS NEW EQUIPMENT...RADAR DATA WILL BE UNAVAILABLE

FROM THIS SITE. THIS COULD TAKE UP TO TEN DAYS TO COMPLETE.

KLEW data has been an ongoing problem for a long time, And no radar from GYX for 10 days.....boo

On a brighter not looks like we see some needed rain here

Yeah, the GYX radar being down will be a bummer for me here as well you Mainers. BTV doesn't reach very well through the Greens so during summer thunderstorm season, I use ENX (Albany) for things approaching from the west and GYX for things almost and/or right overhead (as opposed to the big composites that I tend to use more in the winter or synoptic rains).

Looks like it'll be pretty rowdy for the SNE crowd tomorrow. Should be fun to watch from afar. ;)

That three-day has me right on the 2" mark. We'll see.

EQUIPMENT...

SPECIAL NOTE: COMMUNICATIONS CIRCUIT STILL OUT AT KRKD AND KLEW. TAF

FOR KRKD WILL CONTINUE TO HAVE "AMD NOT SKED" UNTIL COMMUNICATIONS

PROBLEMS ARE RESOLVED. AT THIS TIME WE HAVE NO ESTIMATE OF WHEN A

RETURN TO SERVICE IS EXPECTED.

THE DUAL POLARIZATION RADAR INSTALLATION WILL BE INSTALLED AT THE

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SITE IN GRAY MAINE STARTING ON OR

ABOUT FRIDAY JULY 27. DURING THE INSTALLATION AND FOLLOW UP

TESTING OF THIS NEW EQUIPMENT...RADAR DATA WILL BE UNAVAILABLE

FROM THIS SITE. THIS COULD TAKE UP TO TEN DAYS TO COMPLETE.

KLEW data has been an ongoing problem for a long time, And no radar from GYX for 10 days.....boo

On a brighter not looks like we see some needed rain here

Yeah BTV's radar being down during the last round of severe storms sucked, but it should be worth it with the dual pol upgrade. It looks like its working across the northern tier... radar on the Tug Hill, BTV, and now GYX.

Yeah, the GYX radar being down will be a bummer for me here as well you Mainers. BTV doesn't reach very well through the Greens so during summer thunderstorm season, I use ENX (Albany) for things approaching from the west and GYX for things almost and/or right overhead (as opposed to the big composites that I tend to use more in the winter or synoptic rains).

Looks like it'll be pretty rowdy for the SNE crowd tomorrow. Should be fun to watch from afar. ;)

That three-day has me right on the 2" mark. We'll see.

I didn't know you would use GYX over there but I guess it makes sense as BTV's radar is not very useful out that far because of the mountains in close. I think in the summer time its a bit more useful because of how high up the thunderstorms go in the atmosphere, vs in the winter when its all mostly lower to mid level stuff.

But even in certain upslope events the composite radar doesn't do us justice on the eastern side of Mansfield as that orographic snow is usually so low (formed in like the 2,500-6,000ft elevation range) that it doesn't take long for the beam to overshoot the snow as you move away from the radar site.

Over 2.25" of rain down here from those thunderstorms the other night, so we at least have some water moving around again in the stream beds and rivers. Could go for another 1-3" to really sort of bring the water table up a bit. Unfortunately that 2"+ all fell in like 4 separate but short heavy bursts... would've rather had 2"+ fall as a steady 0.1"/hr all day long.

Yeah BTV's radar being down during the last round of severe storms sucked, but it should be worth it with the dual pol upgrade. It looks like its working across the northern tier... radar on the Tug Hill, BTV, and now GYX.

Oh, It will be for sure more useful, Glad really its being done now, But with some of these systems looking to move thru here over the next 7 days or so, It will be tough to track, I am only 20 miles or so from the GYX site so i will be in the black hole.

I didn't know you would use GYX over there but I guess it makes sense as BTV's radar is not very useful out that far because of the mountains in close. I think in the summer time its a bit more useful because of how high up the thunderstorms go in the atmosphere, vs in the winter when its all mostly lower to mid level stuff.

All the time--or, at least during the warm season shower/thunderstorm season.

I know what you mean though about the height of the storms--the BTV composite will show some 'stuff' here but still, not very much. There's often a little seam of echos visible over the Waits River valley which, while flowing the other direction, lines up nicely with the Winooski valley, making a NW--SE axis. I guess the radar is able to sneak through that gap.

We're near the western edge of the GYX circle but it's by far the best station to watch t-storms as they pass overhead.

Here's a grab from two summers ago twenty minutes before the circled cell flattened a couple acres of our woods. Never would have seen that on the BTV 'dar:

4818589876_f6f8bffdab.jpg

All the time--or, at least during the warm season shower/thunderstorm season.

I know what you mean though about the height of the storms--the BTV composite will show some 'stuff' here but still, not very much. There's often a little seam of echos visible over the Waits River valley which, while flowing the other direction, lines up nicely with the Winooski valley, making a NW--SE axis. I guess the radar is able to sneak through that gap.

We're near the western edge of the GYX circle but it's by far the best station to watch t-storms as they pass overhead.

Here's a grab from two summers ago twenty minutes before the circled cell flattened a couple acres of our woods. Never would have seen that on the BTV 'dar:

4818589876_f6f8bffdab.jpg

Very interesting. I would've thought down there on the coastal plain its probably sitting at the same elevation as BTV (300ft-ish) and that beam still has to go over the Whites before it gets to you. There's some very high terrain in there that's higher than the Spine in a lot of areas... never would've thought you'd get a better shot from GYX.

Currently 61F and raining... approaching noon and we aren't even close to even in the mid 60s.

Our high has now been bumped down to 68F on the point n' click... a July summer classic, lol.

BTV:

BUMPED MAX TEMPS DOWN A BIT AS WELL WITH MOST AREAS

LIKELY ONLY GETTING INTO THE UPPER 60S AND LOWERS 70S NOW.

Very interesting. I would've thought down there on the coastal plain its probably sitting at the same elevation as BTV (300ft-ish) and that beam still has to go over the Whites before it gets to you. There's some very high terrain in there that's higher than the Spine in a lot of areas... never would've thought you'd get a better shot from GYX.

The GYX installation is on a little hill, a bit over 400' - the obs point down at the WSO is at 378'. Not a whole lot of difference. From that hill one can see MWN on a clear day.

Clouds hanging tough in AUG. July has fewer zero-sun days than any other month. My July avg for "cloudy" is 5 days; however, most of those are "mostly cloudy" with peeks or periods of sunshine.

Archived