Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NNE Summer 2012

dryslot

Most of the people in here agree with me..You guys are def in the minority

You would not like it up here anyways, Its north of the pike and i have to listen to people all winter long b**ch how cold it is and that we get to much snow here, Not a very tropical environment needless to say

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sleep is important, every night. I guess I just don't see comfortable sleeping conditions as something I'm going to leave to chance. Especially when a bedroom window A/C is not very expensive, easy to install and uses a whole 530 watts-- costing 40-50 cents a day if you choose to run it while sleeping.

I might just be a sleeping temperature snob.

Hey I'm with you on comfortable sleeping weather but I guess I still dont know why you'd want lows above 80F or warm nights if you like comfortable sleeping weather.

omg

I couldn't even store my frangipani and shrimp plants at that temp.

LOL...I know with you it's all about the plants and I respect that. You've got a reason to keep it hot, trying to grow things that aren't meant to grow in NNE ;)

I just don't like paying utilities so heat is low and AC is non existent...with the AC though I'll admit its more a matter of principle (this is NVT we shouldn't need AC!) haha.

I don't want it 80+ at night..65-72 is perfectly acceptable..Crank on the a/c on the muggy nights sand enjoy. Not closing windows, wearing long pants and shirts and having it feel like fall when it's summer. We've been over this 1,000 times. Have the season perform as seasons. Cold, snowy winters, mild to warm springs, hot and humid summers, cool to eventually cold autumns

White noise and cool air is important for me when sleeping. I don't like AC units for it because usually there's clicking or some other noise that might wake me when the compressor goes on and off. Just a big loud fan is the best imo.

Ditto on the white noise. Lot warmer here in the city than where a lot of posters here ahve it especially the NNE ones. On the other hand I rarely turn the heat on before November so it pretty much balances out since I use the AC in my upstairs boudoir just about every night. :)

Yeah in cold water.. No thanks

Aside from swimming holes...most open water is really quite nice this time of year. Water temps are in the 70s many places. Which after a long run or hike or day of work feels wonderful.

And what's this about liking hot nights? Blech. I lived with AC for years, then moved to VT last summer.

A) 50s at night rules no matter where you are. Open a window. Get a blanket. Sleep like a baby.

B) You DO need AC in VT. At least in the Champlain Valley. 10-12 nights a summer a window AC is your friend.

C) To each their own.

You obviously would be miserable if you lived up here, while the majority of us love it. Summertime in NNE: Cool nights, sea breezes to take the edge off of a very warm day... ahhhhh. Better than sweat running in rivulets down my backside. No shaw or sweatshirt for me during the summer months.

I go through most of the winter with just a jacket on when out and about. Acclimatized from living ~400 miles north of the Arctic Circle for 4 years while manning a radar station in Point Barrow, AK during the early 80's.

Right on!

Haven't worn a jacket for temperature reasons (a few times in mod/hvy RA) since 1st week of June, and we've had 40s about 20X since then, plus 39 thrice in June.

I can also relate to the winter jacket thing, though I upgrade when temps are near zero or very windy (or when I'm icefishing.) However, my acclimatizing came from Ft. Kent and the Allagash-St.John woodlands, also from lots of icefishing and deer hunting time in NNJ.

Edit:

This IS what the seasons bring in NNE. My median for July's coolest-of-the-month is 42, for August it's 39 or 40. I've never recorded a month here that didn't get down at least into the upper 40s; only one June has failed to hit 30s (and 5 have had frosts.) Yes, I'm in a cold pocket, but the hillside COOP in Farmington has medians of 43 and 40 for July and August.

In the cold seasons, our thermostat in the LR (15' from the Jotul) is set at 62 and the 2nd zone turned way down. The furnace runs only on cold nights when I don't get up to stoke the woodstove (and at my age, middle-of-night pit stops are the rule, not the exception, thus stove-feeding opps.)

LOL, look at all the fun in the NNE thread.....

Need rain!

I'm talking about at nite.. Not many want cold nights in summer

I enjoy cool nights in the summer...then again, I enjoy cool days in the summer too, not being much of a fan of the heat. If this keeps up, I may be spending my summers in Newfoundland before long.

As for the A/C--don't have one and don't really need one. Even during the hottest of spells we always seem to decouple and radiate down into the 60s which is plenty fine for sleeping. Can't remember a night where it didn't get below 70. As soon as it gets cooler outside than it does in the upstairs of the house, on go the window fans for a few hours to suck in some cool air.

Eek--haven't been in Winni for 19 years? Holy smokes. During the height of summer, I take a dip in the lake or in our brook pretty much daily. It's all good though.

I am a connoisseur of cold water. Other than grapes to raisins, it's very theraputic. :pimp:

Water in the swimming holes here is always cold...that water is coming out of the side of the mountain, doesn't matter if its 100 degrees for a month, the water will be the same temperature.

I've read that reliable/perennial springs have water temps which approximate the annual avg temp for the location. There was (and probably still is) one about 5 miles into NW Maine from St.-Pamphile, PQ that ran 37F winter and summer. Ft. Kent's annual avg is 37.3.

0.14" overnight, as the 1st band (10 PM) split and passed N and S, then -RA 3-5 AM. Fairly noisy TS went thru AUG about 1 this afternoon, with 3-4 minutes of toad-strangler, visibility under 1/4 mile. Airport reported 0.12" between 8A-2P. That storm went by MBY a bit after noon, looked like all the reds and most yellows managed to miss my place again. Still living off the 2" from week before last.

In the field tomorrow and Thurs; looks autumnal tomorrow then a quick warm-up. At least it's dry.

Archived