Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
SNE GTG, Maybe. That has Nothing to Do with the Conference

40/70 Benchmark

• Replies 677
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Makes sense...I've never been but thought they were wildly popular. I just can never go anywhere during summer/fall and winter tourist season....and no one seems to want to hold anything in late April-Memorial Day or mid-Oct to mid-Nov when I have time off to travel.

I guess seeing as even SNE crew of 40/70, Coastal, Blizz, ORH, etc arent going it's probably similar for other regions without core members going. It's gotta be hard to go to BWI though every single summer, year after year.

This is a fair post. This will be the last in all seriousness. I know it's a running joke that I change my mind. But I'm genuinely demotivated. In part by attendance and lack of participation is assisting me by some staff. It's played out I guess. I really don't care anymore.

This is a fair post. This will be the last in all seriousness. I know it's a running joke that I change my mind. But I'm genuinely demotivated. In part by attendance and lack of participation is assisting me by some staff. It's played out I guess. I really don't care anymore.

Unless you are a full time conference and meting planner, it can't be easy to do year after year. I have absolutely no idea what most on here do in the real world but I'm sure most folks appreciated the extra time and effort put into those things in the beginning.

Conferences seem like one of those things that if it really is a hit and folks love it, someone else will step up and plan one. It's the same in a lot of these Internet groups...once someone plans the first, it's expected that you'll do it forever.

PVD on the water:

Whiskey Republic (singer for Dropkic Murphy's place). Use to be Fish Company for years.

http://www.thewhiskeyrepublic.com/

Waterplace at the basin/ start of waterfire near Providence Place. If there's a waterfire going on, it's quite the place to be.

http://www.waterplaceri.com/

If the water doesn't matter:

Ri Ra (small chain but good)

http://www.rira.com/providence/

Union Station (part of the John Harvards chain). Over rated, and crowded but an option.

https://www.johnharvards.com/locations/providence-ri

Fat Belly's My new favorite pub in town.

http://www.fatbellyspub.com/

PVD on the water:

Whiskey Republic (singer for Dropkic Murphy's place). Use to be Fish Company for years.

http://www.thewhiskeyrepublic.com/

Waterplace at the basin/ start of waterfire near Providence Place. If there's a waterfire going on, it's quite the place to be.

http://www.waterplaceri.com/

If the water doesn't matter:

Ri Ra (small chain but good)

http://www.rira.com/providence/

Union Station (part of the John Harvards chain). Over rated, and crowded but an option.

https://www.johnharvards.com/locations/providence-ri

Fat Belly's My new favorite pub in town.

http://www.fatbellyspub.com/

Isn't that way down in RI?

A year or two off might not really be that bad of an idea I suppose. It would obviously give you a major rest which would be the most important aspect but perhaps over time there will be a regaining interest in the conference. I know it's always difficult b/c people make plans and money is always an issue but those two issues can easily be overcome IMO. Everyone knows the time of the year the conference is so if you seriously do have interest you can plan for this well ahead of time. As far as money goes it's the same thing...for example, if you can't go this year you know when the next one is probably going to be...put $20 a paycheck away for it...over the course of a year that's getting close to $1000...that's more than plenty.

The talks/presentations are outstanding if you're seriously interested in learning about weather or interested in weather I'm not sure why you'd want to pass an opportunity up like this.

Oh well though...all I know is I'm going and I'm going to have a blast like I always do...this includes learning and having fun hanging with friends and having a few drinks during the evenings.

Probably the rudest/most inconsiderate thing I've ever seen on this forum. Congratulations on the new high water mark.

Oh boy.

So since folks dont have time or money or have things to attend to at home and can't make BWI, it's rude to get together and have a beer locally?

Come on. I try to stay out of this petty stuff but to say this is the rudest thing youve ever seen on this board... I think it was clear that these folks just can't make it. It's not some conspiracy to skip the conference just to have a couple drinks with friends and talk weather.

Isn't that way down in RI?

Yup - "Way down" there in RI - At the base of your MOUNTAIN veer right instead of left. You will know right away if you took a wrong turn as the heat from Hell will be fairly evident within a few miles or so..

Just responding to Phil and Kevin

definitely like the idea of a summer SNE gtg. but god, not ORH. how bout' PVD area?

Yeah PVD would work for everyone. I think that is the city this time

Oh boy.

So since folks dont have time or money or have things to attend to at home and can't make BWI, it's rude to get together and have a beer locally?

Come on. I try to stay out of this petty stuff but to say this is the rudest thing youve ever seen on this board... I think it was clear that these folks just can't make it. It's not some conspiracy to skip the conference just to have a couple drinks with friends and talk weather.

There are 365 other days this year to do it. Randy and others bend over backwards to put together a conference for all members of this board and some want to try to undercut it for absolutely no reason. It's totally classless.

Way to stir things up, Ray.

Region wars just in time for summer.

It's not region vs. region, it's those who have basic manners vs. those who don't.

There are 365 other days this year to do it. Randy and others bend over backwards to put together a conference for all members of this board and some want to try to undercut it for absolutely no reason. It's totally classless.

It's not region vs. region, it's those who have basic manners vs. those who don't.

Point taken, but I don't think "undercutting" was the intention. I'm 99.99999% sure that Ray's intention wasn't to be like this:

A bunch of us aren't going to Baltimore, so why not throw a wrench into the works, get everyone worked up and show them we can have fun without them. Let us have our own little gathering all by ourselves. We will show them ALL!

bwaha . . . bwaha . . .ha. . . ha . . . muwawahahahaaha.

Maybe Ray could have picked another date.

Regardless, I noted back in Feb. or March that the conference date confliced with my family vacation week, and this date does as well. I still won't be at either.

Probably the rudest/most inconsiderate thing I've ever seen on this forum. Congratulations on the new high water mark.

Then I guess you wisely stay out of OT because rudeness is redefined there almost daily.

I don't see a problem with people who could not make the Conference getting together on their own, what's the big deal if they were not going anyway???

+1 for leap year acknowledgment

:huh:

I'm still not getting why if they weren't going anyway, why they can't meet up for a beer. So if I understand this, NO ONE is allowed to have fun or do something leisurely if they aren't going to the conference?

And I don't think one person mentioned that they didn't think Randy busted his ssa for the conference. They just can't commit to something that's 3-4 days long, but they may be able to get together for a couple hours. Who cares.

Folks aren't bailing on the conference to go to a SNE G2G.

+1 for leap year acknowledgment

Nice catch.

:huh:

I'm still not getting why if they weren't going anyway, why they can't meet up for a beer. So if I understand this, NO ONE is allowed to have fun or do something leisurely if they aren't going to the conference?

And I don't think one person mentioned that they didn't think Randy busted his ssa for the conference. They just can't commit to something that's 3-4 days long, but they may be able to get together for a couple hours. Who cares.

Folks aren't bailing on the conference to go to a SNE G2G.

As Hugo noted, it's really about the date that Ray noted more than anything, and maybe Ray's sub-title to the thread.

Maybe "Bringing Baltimore to us" wasn't the best choice of words, but it's just a joke. I think most understand the premise, and that it in no way is intended to take away from the conference.

LOL at wiz turning this innocent SNE gtg thread into a whinefest. It has nothing to do with Randy or the board or anything Folks have other plans/issues/and responsibilities. Randy knows this. Those that want to go always find a way. What is sad is that very few from the BWI/DC ever go and it's alwaydsdown there. That part is saddening to me.

Anyway..does July 14th work for the Sne crew for the GTG? Let's nail this down quick. or do we do a Friday so Ryan can come?

Archived