joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Obs/Discussion Thread

MN Transplant

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome! I'm sorry that I couldn't make it up there last night. Looks like it would have been fun.

It was awesome. We had far more people than we thought we would...probably ~500 showed up. I was tracking this clearing patch of sky all the way south from near the PA/NY border throughout the day, and it showed up right on time at about 6:35pm.

-2 to -3 June

0 July

+1 August

Models will try over and over to move trough out but won't happen until August.

Once the heat arrives this weekend I think it is probably here for good...we may get a reprieve for some of July, but 87/69 for example is not much of a reprieve...persistence is too strong...very very hard to flip the state of things so quickly....I think we average +3 from June 10th-30th and finish the month +1 to +2.....

Once the heat arrives this weekend I think it is probably here for good...we may get a reprieve for some of July, but 87/69 for example is not much of a reprieve...persistence is too strong...very very hard to flip the state of things so quickly....I think we average +3 from June 10th-30th and finish the month +1 to +2.....

You're prob right but it's worth noting that both the GFS and Euro show neg ht anoms @ 500 around Hudson bay and se canada. Depending on which model, the trough or closed 500 contours along the west coast overcome this and keep any trough pushed N of us with ridging out in front. I wouldn't be surprised if we get backdoored or have some sort of stationary boundary set up overhead anytime during this timeframe.

It's very intriguing seeing the overall trough/ridge/trough setup over the conus. There seems to be some sort of persistence with this config and it fits my summer h5 composite from my analogs quite well. My map was focused on Jul-Aug but it's hard for me to overlook what's happening right now.

You're prob right but it's worth noting that both the GFS and Euro show neg ht anoms @ 500 around Hudson bay and se canada. Depending on which model, the trough or closed 500 contours along the west coast overcome this and keep any trough pushed N of us with ridging out in front. I wouldn't be surprised if we get backdoored or have some sort of stationary boundary set up overhead anytime during this timeframe.

It's very intriguing seeing the overall trough/ridge/trough setup over the conus. There seems to be some sort of persistence with this config and it fits my summer h5 composite from my analogs quite well. My map was focused on Jul-Aug but it's hard for me to overlook what's happening right now.

we are going to see a mean negative height anomaly somewhere up there or to the east of there.I don't think it will mean much...maybe in July...40N will feel the brunt..the departure gradient will run north to south

we are going to see a mean negative height anomaly somewhere up there or to the east of there.I don't think it will mean much...maybe in July...40N will feel the brunt..the departure gradient will run north to south

I was thinking that too. NNE may have a really pleasant summer. We're just too far south to win the battle. It would take some serious pushing to get any trough to hang around much more than a day or 2.

Gotta dig the -2 ao/nao combo we're having now though. Sleeping with the windows open and blanket on in June is pretty awesome. I haven't run my ac since the tues after mem day. My bank account likes that.

I was thinking that too. NNE may have a really pleasant summer. We're just too far south to win the battle. It would take some serious pushing to get any trough to hang around much more than a day or 2.

Gotta dig the -2 ao/nao combo we're having now though. Sleeping with the windows open and blanket on in June is pretty awesome. I haven't run my ac since the tues after mem day. My bank account likes that.

The best part about this week is that every day that goes by shortens the summer. :)

Pouring rain up here now.

A lot of cloud to ground lightning right now. A few strikes less than a mile away. No rain as of yet, and the sky is clear in one part, and cloud covered with the storm on the other. Not our usual summer type of storm, with it being so cool and dry compared to normal. Weather like this is always interesting.

A lot of cloud to ground lightning right now. A few strikes less than a mile away. No rain as of yet, and the sky is clear in one part, and cloud covered with the storm on the other. Not our usual summer type of storm, with it being so cool and dry compared to normal. Weather like this is always interesting.

Looks like that cell is going to cross over 340 soon. Getting thunder and lightning with moderate rain and wind now. I did see the CG strikes when I was over picking my girls up from school. I agree not usual but very interesting. This little event may put me over 2" rain for the month so far I am sitting at 1.98.

Here are some small cell phone files that I took of the back end of the storm from Boordy Vineyards just north of Baltimore this evening. I wish I had better equipment with me because it was one of the brightest and longest duration rainbows I've ever seen. Sorry that the pictures are so small.

post-1326-0-27039900-1339119883_thumb.jp

post-1326-0-94209400-1339119898_thumb.jp

post-1326-0-71896700-1339119933_thumb.jp

post-1326-0-50049300-1339119947_thumb.jp

WOW! Great Job!

Archived