joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June Obs/Discussion Thread

MN Transplant

• Replies 458
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am down in SW Va this week at Smith Mountain Lake, the first lines of rain have already started here. Looks like 24-36 hours of steady to heavy rain down this way. Since I am in a house on the lake with a canopy of trees, I am looking forward to hearing the rain fall.

Boy, I envy you. That is a beautiful place. Got married there last October overlooking the lake. Can't wait to go back.

I should have stayed out in the Plains... aside from that one day when I was gone the boring weather streak continues. Bored, bored, bored, bored, bored.

At least it looks like we'll have some pleasant temps starting tomorrow through the weekend. Keep that AC bill nice and low.

tomorrow looks a little too messy to be super interesting but there's still potential if we don't get too much crap early. either way it looks damp and thundery.

Works for me! Welcome back to the real world by the way ;)

First time here, its fantastic. Great place to get married, congrats on choosing this locale.

Thank you. It was a perfect early fall day for the first week of October. That was the cold, rainy weekend up this way, but down there it was sunny and 60 ish. Too cold to get in the lake, but lovely weather. Foliage was just starting to turn, but I could only imagine how beautiful it is at peak color. We stayed at a gorgeous lake house on the east-side of the lake (about 1/3 mile from the dam) with stunning views of the lake and mountains. Got married by a local JOP, a retired Bedford Sherrif with Andy Griffith small-town southern-charm, on the huge deck of that house which overlooked the lake. That will be a family vacation spot for us in years to come. A truly special place. Hope you enjoy your week there.

I sometimes think it is because we are in the bowl off the Catoctins and that keeps the heat in. The sky is nasty looking with all the haze that has backed up against them.

It is similar here as it in Frederick, with the ridges to the west. We will roast with the west winds and downsloping but Im still shocked at southerly winds how much warmer it is up there. JYO will take back the title of being the hottest spot in the region this summer :P:lol:

Viva la Frederick volcano

:lol: got it.

84/62 here now with OVC to mstly cldy skies

88/64 at JYO

85/61 IAD

I sometimes think it is because we are in the bowl off the Catoctins and that keeps the heat in. The sky is nasty looking with all the haze that has backed up against them.

You are correct. My friend and I have discussed this...with Frederick being in a bowl, it does odd things to the weather. It's why I believe temps at KFDK plummet on those cold nights with radiational cooling. It drains right into the valley. I'm thinking lots of sun this morning was a big factor for the heat in Northern MD. I was 88F by noon as well and briefly touched 90F before the clouds hit. BWI was also 89 by noon too.

Well thought we had fixed our minor flooding issue but totally forgot to factor in the sq. foot of the roof and the 50 gal rain barrel was overflowing this morning. We had meant to get an overflow tube but had not yet. So hose is hooked up and strung out into the back yard to empty the barrel as it fills. For the day so far I have .31in with a reading of .12in/hr. Month total up to 2.46in. And we are under yet another heavy downpour. At least under the deck is draining now that the water is diverted.

Well thought we had fixed our minor flooding issue but totally forgot to factor in the sq. foot of the roof and the 50 gal rain barrel was overflowing this morning. We had meant to get an overflow tube but had not yet. So hose is hooked up and strung out into the back yard to empty the barrel as it fills. For the day so far I have .31in with a reading of .12in/hr. Month total up to 2.46in. And we are under yet another heavy downpour. At least under the deck is draining now that the water is diverted.

Ha, a 50 gallon rain barrel will overflow in about 5 minutes in a heavy down pour. At my house, I have approximately 750 gallons of rain water storage and it fills up with about an inch of rain and I'm only draining 1/4 of my roof.

Ha, a 50 gallon rain barrel will overflow in about 5 minutes in a heavy down pour. At my house, I have approximately 750 gallons of rain water storage and it fills up with about an inch of rain and I'm only draining 1/4 of my roof.

Yea don't know what we were thinking. Once we get the overflow tube though it will help. For now the hose is working and I just put the end near the garden. :)

Main shield of rain pulling away from here now. 0.76" for the day.

I was kind of surprised by the looks of the radar last night, didnt think this much rain would fall. But steady rains here now and almost half inch here, which is nice. After this, the extended looks to be pretty dry but pleasant

Archived