joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December #2/12-16 storm - OBS Thread

SnoJoe

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bottomed out around three degrees this morning. Certainly the coldest I have seen in several years.

I saw one reporting site near you with 1. The center of the weak high was sitting right over southeast ky/ne Tenn border. Brrrr. I made it to 6.8 degrees, coldest in 7 years atleast here.

snowing good here in Kennesaw now. :thumbsup::snowman::thumbsup::snowman:

:thumbsup: I'm hoping to see a little overnight, if it can make before bedtime. Looks like bad timing here though.

Hey all. I am new to the board. I am Justin. My Father is Rankin5150. I love the weather and thanks for allowing me the chanc to learn.

Belmont, NC current obs:

Overcast

32 °F

(0 °C)Humidity:29 %Wind Speed:W 7 MPHBarometer:30.07" (1019.0 mb)Dewpoint:3 °F (-16 °C)Wind Chill:26 °F (-3 °C)Visibility:10.00 mi.Very low DP...

Welcome to American Justin :hug: I'm sure we will enjoy your posts as much as we enjoy hearing from Jason :)

Very light snow here when I just went out. T

:wub: It's about time :wub: This gives me hope :hug:

Currently it's 40 deg after a low of 15

CLT looked like 15F was the low, but on the NWS page it lists 10F as the low, which would be a record.

Well I live inbetween Concord and Huntersville and my temp was 8.9 this morning around 6:30 so I can see CLT getting down to 10F. However I think officially CLT recorded a low of 12 ( think)

On another note, where can I find current DP across NC? The NWS is saying my currenct dp is -13 which I think is an error.

it's colder here in mcdowell than any of the previous three days: 6 degrees...and that was as of 15 minutes ago...

i could use another snow day away from the schoolhouse...here's hoping i get one tomorrow...

The word that I heard floating around the schoolhouse today was that if anything is falling come morning, they'll take no chances and call it. BTW, it was definitely brutal this morning about time I headed out. This morning made 2 mornings in a row that the Catawba was partially crusted over.

The word that I heard floating around the schoolhouse today was that if anything is falling come morning, they'll take no chances and call it. BTW, it was definitely brutal this morning about time I headed out. This morning made 2 mornings in a row that the Catawba was partially crusted over.

i am not surprised to hear of that scuttlebutt. ice is tricky business!

i was off campus for a bit just before 13:00, and car thermometer gave 32 as a reading...

i look at the river each morning on the way to work, too, and i noticed the 'ice shelf' starting in on the edges. i had been under the impression that we wouldn't be quite so cold this morning...it was indeed brutal...

maybe we'll get a little something out of this. maybe more than has been progged...what's your feeling on it?

Could be very interesting in parts of the Carolinas tomorrow morning. Sitting here with increasing high clouds with a temperature of 36.4 after a high of 38.6. Still bone dry air in place with my current dew point of 1 degree. Has anybody noticed if DOT has treated the roads around Charlotte yet? I was out earlier today and it did not look like it. I was mainly thinking about how much of a mess the large interchanges between 485 and interstates 85 and 77 tend to get when we get freezing rain.

i am not surprised to hear of that scuttlebutt. ice is tricky business!

i was off campus for a bit just before 13:00, and car thermometer gave 32 as a reading...

i look at the river each morning on the way to work, too, and i noticed the 'ice shelf' starting in on the edges. i had been under the impression that we wouldn't be quite so cold this morning...it was indeed brutal...

maybe we'll get a little something out of this. maybe more than has been progged...what's your feeling on it?

I think advisory criteria for us is a good call. If anything, I'm worried about a lack of QPF. Radar trends through the night will tell us a lot.

It will take a little more for Rutherford to call it tomorrow. We have yet to be off and we have until next Tuesday before the break.

Either way I will be at work tomorrow!!

Looking for positive Radar trends tonight.

I think advisory criteria for us is a good call. If anything, I'm worried about a lack of QPF. Radar trends through the night will tell us a lot.

Could be very interesting in parts of the Carolinas tomorrow morning. Sitting here with increasing high clouds with a temperature of 36.4 after a high of 38.6. Still bone dry air in place with my current dew point of 1 degree. Has anybody noticed if DOT has treated the roads around Charlotte yet? I was out earlier today and it did not look like it. I was mainly thinking about how much of a mess the large interchanges between 485 and interstates 85 and 77 tend to get when we get freezing rain.

I drove through the area (85/77/485/74) around 2:00pm and did not see anything sprayed on the roads (brine)

...but here in Monroe we had brine on the roads on the way home....around 4:00

Since the title of this thread is going low...Here is the weather in Fairbanks, AK.

MIDDLE TANANA VALLEY-

INCLUDING...FAIRBANKS...FORT WAINWRIGHT...EIELSON AFB...ESTER...

NORTH POLE...MOOSE CREEK...TWO RIVERS...FOX...CHATANIKA...CHENA

HOT SPRINGS...SOURDOUGH CAMP

427 AM AKST WED DEC 15 2010

.TODAY...CLEAR. PATCHY ICE FOG. HIGHS 30 TO 35 BELOW IN VALLEYS

AND AROUND 10 BELOW ON THE HILLS. LIGHT WINDS...EXCEPT EAST WINDS

10 TO 15 MPH ON THE HILLTOPS.

.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. PATCHY ICE FOG. LOWS 40 TO 50 BELOW IN

VALLEYS AND 15 TO 25 BELOW ON THE HILLS. LIGHT WINDS.

.THURSDAY...CLEAR. PATCHY ICE FOG. HIGHS 30 TO 40 BELOW IN VALLEYS

AND AROUND 15 BELOW ON THE HILLS. LIGHT WINDS.

.THURSDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. PATCHY ICE FOG. LOWS 40 TO 50

BELOW...EXCEPT AROUND 20 BELOW ON THE HILLS. LIGHT WINDS.

.FRIDAY...MOSTLY CLEAR. HIGHS 30 TO 40 BELOW. LIGHT WINDS.

.FRIDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS NEAR 45 BELOW.

.SATURDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 20 BELOW.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 25 BELOW.

.SUNDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 15 BELOW.

.SUNDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 20 BELOW.

.MONDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 15 BELOW.

.MONDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 25 BELOW.

.TUESDAY...CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 20 BELOW.

...And I had become concerned about there being enough cold air in North America.

4-9" of snow across the city today. Still snowing a little bit now. Nice..... Hope yall get some snow/sleet/FZRA

Hey man......are you tired of snow and cold yet?? Don't be such a stranger. You are one of the few "out of towners" that we like to have post in our threads. They always say "once a southerner, always a southerner".

Since the title of this thread is going low...Here is the weather in Fairbanks, AK.

MIDDLE TANANA VALLEY-

INCLUDING...FAIRBANKS...FORT WAINWRIGHT...EIELSON AFB...ESTER...

NORTH POLE...MOOSE CREEK...TWO RIVERS...FOX...CHATANIKA...CHENA

HOT SPRINGS...SOURDOUGH CAMP

427 AM AKST WED DEC 15 2010

.TODAY...CLEAR. PATCHY ICE FOG. HIGHS 30 TO 35 BELOW IN VALLEYS

AND AROUND 10 BELOW ON THE HILLS. LIGHT WINDS...EXCEPT EAST WINDS

10 TO 15 MPH ON THE HILLTOPS.

.TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. PATCHY ICE FOG. LOWS 40 TO 50 BELOW IN

VALLEYS AND 15 TO 25 BELOW ON THE HILLS. LIGHT WINDS.

.THURSDAY...CLEAR. PATCHY ICE FOG. HIGHS 30 TO 40 BELOW IN VALLEYS

AND AROUND 15 BELOW ON THE HILLS. LIGHT WINDS.

.THURSDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. PATCHY ICE FOG. LOWS 40 TO 50

BELOW...EXCEPT AROUND 20 BELOW ON THE HILLS. LIGHT WINDS.

.FRIDAY...MOSTLY CLEAR. HIGHS 30 TO 40 BELOW. LIGHT WINDS.

.FRIDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLEAR. LOWS NEAR 45 BELOW.

.SATURDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 20 BELOW.

.SATURDAY NIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 25 BELOW.

.SUNDAY...PARTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 15 BELOW.

.SUNDAY NIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 20 BELOW.

.MONDAY...MOSTLY CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 15 BELOW.

.MONDAY NIGHT...CLOUDY. LOWS NEAR 25 BELOW.

.TUESDAY...CLOUDY. HIGHS NEAR 20 BELOW.

...And I had become concerned about there being enough cold air in North America.

It is probably beautiful to visit sometime, but why would anybody choose to live in a place to gets to 45 below zero. The older I get the less I like the teens here. And the wind chills yesterday were the worst I've felt in many years and they probably were only a few degrees below zero. This mornings 7 degrees in still air was enough to send me running right back to the heater. I can't imagine getting used to that kind of cold.

Around Cabarrus Co today I noticed that the roads have been treated. HWY 73 between Huntersville and Concord, Downtown Davidson and some of the side streets all had brine on them.

It is probably beautiful to visit sometime, but why would anybody choose to live in a place to gets to 45 below zero. The older I get the less I like the teens here. And the wind chills yesterday were the worst I've felt in many years and they probably were only a few degrees below zero. This mornings 7 degrees in still air was enough to send me running right back to the heater. I can't imagine getting used to that kind of cold.

Me too.....

That's stupid cold, I can't do it either. I can barley handle 13°

Archived