12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December #2/12-16 storm - OBS Thread

SnoJoe

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's because of conditions up in north Fulton. I said earlier my dad reported ice issues going in to work at 8:00 AM. There are still icy spots on bridges apparently.

I don't understand why school systems have to close schools in the entire county when only a part of the county is experiencing ice. To me it makes sense to close schools in the areas that are having icing problems. No sense in closing schools in South Fulton when roads are perfectly fine.

Inutis already pointed it out in the other thread, but amazing temp contrast in north Ga currently. 50 in atlanta while it's 30 in gainesville. It just went above freezing here a little while ago too, 32.5 now. Greensboro southeast of athens is sitting at 46 also while athens is 33.

Btw, this system did make history from where I sit. I made mention earlier, I can't remember having any accumulating ice without east winds but we never had any east winds here. In fact, when it first started here, the winds were southwest. Only briefly did the winds turn around to the southeast but it was barely above calm like 1 or 2mph so that made no difference obviously.

Indeed, there are south winds all across the carolinas this morning. No one is reporting north or east winds. To me this is amazing. I thought they were probably going to be right and indeed it seems the models were right all along in not showing any east winds anywhere with this system.

it is amazing. i honestly thought i would be above freezing around 4 this morning. in fact, i was so confident that i didnt even look out the window when i woke up! just got up, fed the dogs and took them out as usual. as soon as i got outside i realized it was still below freezing at 29.5 (31.5 now so it is warming up!! still raining, however)

the few people i know that ventured out have said they have regretted doing so and they should have waited. i just feel sort of silly being stuck at home for such a low amount of qpf :lol:

I don't understand why school systems have to close schools in the entire county when only a part of the county is experiencing ice. To me it makes sense to close schools in the areas that are having icing problems. No sense in closing schools in South Fulton when roads are perfectly fine.

it is very deceptive outside. this is one time i agree with the closings even with a small amount. you really cant split up a county school system with the buses, schedules etc. its just not practical and could cause more issues down the road schedule wise

even in atl is was still icy this morning, the quick warm up didnt happen until after rush hour. all it takes is one patch of ice and you (or a bus) are off the road

I just drove about 10 miles south east to southern Orange county NC. The main roads are in pretty good shape, although there are some occasional slush patches that I can get the car to spin or slide in. The secondary roads are not in great shape and I really would not recommend driving on them unless you are equipped and knowledgeable.

All freezing rain here now and its occasionally moderate. Starting to get some significant accretion on trees and made me think about possible scattered power outages. 31 degrees

it is amazing. i honestly thought i would be above freezing around 4 this morning. in fact, i was so confident that i didnt even look out the window when i woke up! just got up, fed the dogs and took them out as usual. as soon as i got outside i realized it was still below freezing at 29.5 (31.5 now so it is warming up!! still raining, however)

the few people i know that ventured out have said they have regretted doing so and they should have waited. i just feel sort of silly being stuck at home for such a low amount of qpf :lol:

I was wondering how long the cold air would hold on vs what the models were projecting. The nam/gfs actually never dropped me to below freezing...holding me at 33 all night. (low was 29). But they also failed to recognize the evaporational cooling..since they maintained rather large dewpoint depressions for most of the night. Which of course is in part because both models had virtually no precip here.

Even in areas where the nam/gfs had precip and were colder (like gainesville), they were too fast to scour it out though..even though we had no damming/east/ne winds. Honestly my personal thought was probably 7 to 9am here. Temp is up to 34 now so I must be near the real warm front. So not too bad of a guess. It's also interesting to note there is no cad signal in the sea level pressure maps. When these cold airmasses are saturated it's very hard to scour them quickly, no matter which direction the wind is blowing lol.

Btw, how pretty is this map. I hate we are going to warm up some because I would love to hang on to such strong cold anomalies for the month. But I think it's safe to say those calling for a super warm december in the southeast were off just a little bit.

mon2day.F.gif

It might be 50 in Atlanta, but I'm 40-50 miles NE and it's still 31.6 here.

You can't close just some schools, not when it's all the same school system. You either open late like we did, close, or not close. Because we only lost two hours, this will count as a full day so we don't have to make anything up. I got up to watch the weather but my wife slept an extra two hours. It's ok, we're off for two weeks starting tomorrow afternoon! thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I was wondering how long the cold air would hold on vs what the models were projecting. The nam/gfs actually never dropped me to below freezing...holding me at 33 all night. (low was 29). But they also failed to recognize the evaporational cooling..since they maintained rather large dewpoint depressions for most of the night. Which of course is in part because both models had virtually no precip here.

Even in areas where the nam/gfs had precip and were colder (like gainesville), they were too fast to scour it out though..even though we had no damming/east/ne winds. Honestly my personal thought was probably 7 to 9am here. Temp is up to 34 now so I must be near the real warm front. So not too bad of a guess. It's also interesting to note there is no cad signal in the sea level pressure maps. When these cold airmasses are saturated it's very hard to scour them quickly, no matter which direction the wind is blowing lol.

Btw, how pretty is this map. I hate we are going to warm up some because I would love to hang on to such strong cold anomalies for the month. But I think it's safe to say those calling for a super warm december in the southeast were off just a little bit.

what is the most surprising (to me at least) is this event occurred without any source of continuing cold air. the last couple of years even with a cold air source, we still didnt have much ice (although the source was not in the 'typical' cad location). in this instance there isnt any source. 31.6 with moderate freezing rain - trees are all iced up now and the road is still icy. there is some melting off the house/roof so the temps are rising. just very very slowly

hopefully this warm up will be brief :devilsmiley: and we get cold again to end out dec

mon2day.F.gif

Very impressive. And the temp differences this morning Atlanta to N Georgia are really pronounced. Is this due mainly to the flow going more zonal?

Lookout, you say that we are not going to hang on to the cold air for the rest of the month? Thats too bad, what does it look like, a big warm up or just a bit of moderation?

Still at 32.2 here. I went outside a little while ago, the driveway is still a skating rink though part of it is melted now.

It was a pretty easy drive around 8:30 on 400 going south. Last night was actually not too bad but when I made my way on the secondary streets I hit an ice patch and almost nailed the curb. Glad I wasn't going too fast.

Does anyone have a traffic report for I-85 this morning? I am heading out with a few friends of mine to Atlanta to catch a flight at Hartsfield this afternoon and was wondering if we need to leave earlier than that given all the reports of accidents.

Reporting from Greenville, SC this morning. Don't have a thermometer at the house but the airport is at freezing at 32. Meanwhile my house up in Asheville is a toasty 38.5 degrees. Defiantly insitu wedging going on this morning.

Does anyone have a traffic report for I-85 this morning? I am heading out with a few friends of mine to Atlanta to catch a flight at Hartsfield this afternoon and was wondering if we need to leave earlier than that given all the reports of accidents.

Reporting from Greenville, SC this morning. Don't have a thermometer at the house but the airport is at freezing at 32. Meanwhile my house up in Asheville is a toasty 38.5 degrees. Defiantly insitu wedging going on this morning.

There were some ramps and bridges closed on various Interstates around us this morning, you should be good now though. I-85 headed north toward SC/NC might be a little rough right now though.

Alright who did it? Who put the torch right next to my weatherstation? We are up to 40.6° with a nice S breeze. Our glaze looks like it's off a warm doghnut. This is eating into my Snowpack!

Very impressive. And the temp differences this morning Atlanta to N Georgia are really pronounced. Is this due mainly to the flow going more zonal?

Lookout, you say that we are not going to hang on to the cold air for the rest of the month? Thats too bad, what does it look like, a big warm up or just a bit of moderation?

It's hard to hold on to such extreme departures such as that for an entire month and indeed it looks quite a bit milder over the next 7 to 10 days at least...at least closer to average. Of course just being close to average is a huge warm up vs what we have been experiencing.

Some of the past euro runs had us back in the deep freeze in the long range but the last few have been considerably milder. It looks more like we just get back to average or slightly above average some of the days over the next 7 to 10.

In order for us to even break even though, we would have to have positive departures equal to the negative departures we have had so far and that doesn't look likely looking at the euro/gfs. No matter how you look at it though, this month has been far better than most projected it would be for the southeast. Most were calling for above to much above average temps with one or two projecting, IIRC, plus 4 or 5c which is extremely warm.

It's hard to hold on to such extreme departures such as that for an entire month and indeed it looks quite a bit milder over the next 7 to 10 days at least...at least closer to average. Of course just being close to average is a huge warm up vs what we have been experiencing.

if we held on to this extreme, it would make this month just as cold as last january lol, which i thought wouldnt be duplicated for years.

yesterday before the precip started i went out to check and was pretty bummed initially. it felt sort of warm and i thought jeesh we are already in the 40s. checked the thermometer and it was in the low 30s lol. just shows how cold its been lately when 30s dont seem too cold anymore :weight_lift:

31.8 frz rain at the moment. should go above freezing soon i would think. weird event going on last night and this morning

^ I noticed the same thing NEGa. It seemed warmer than it really was, I guess I just got used to 19 degrees and a dew point of minus 3! :arrowhead:

And thanks for the reply Lookout. If nothing else this early cold snap has given me hope that we might get another before the winter is through. And lets hope that happens just before a deep low crawls up the coast. :guitar:

if we held on to this extreme, it would make this month just as cold as last january lol, which i thought wouldnt be duplicated for years.

yesterday before the precip started i went out to check and was pretty bummed initially. it felt sort of warm and i thought jeesh we are already in the 40s. checked the thermometer and it was in the low 30s lol. just shows how cold its been lately when 30s dont seem too cold anymore :weight_lift:

31.8 frz rain at the moment. should go above freezing soon i would think. weird event going on last night and this morning

See I told you you would hold the cold in these in situ situations :) I got scoured out quick last night. I'm at 54 now and I've been under the house fixing pipes in my shirt sleeves, while you bask in the glow of icy reflections still. I don't think it will be the last time for you either. T

I just drove about 10 miles south east to southern Orange county NC. The main roads are in pretty good shape, although there are some occasional slush patches that I can get the car to spin or slide in. The secondary roads are not in great shape and I really would not recommend driving on them unless you are equipped and knowledgeable.

All freezing rain here now and its occasionally moderate. Starting to get some significant accretion on trees and made me think about possible scattered power outages. 31 degrees

Thanks for the update. I am about to leave new bern to drive to Hillsborough.

See I told you you would hold the cold in these in situ situations :) I got scoured out quick last night. I'm at 54 now and I've been under the house fixing pipes in my shirt sleeves, while you bask in the glow of icy reflections still. I don't think it will be the last time for you either. T

yes you did :) and you may be right, if we can get another cold set up like we have been in, chances for overrunning would return. i figured i would see a little yesterday, but was caught off guard with how wide spread, and how long it remained below freezing, today

next time i want the temps in the mid 20s and at least .25+ of qpf :devilsmiley:

wow dacula - you were below freezing a long time this morning! i am thinking above here within the next hour

Archived