• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December #2/12-16 storm - OBS Thread

SnoJoe

It is probably beautiful to visit sometime, but why would anybody choose to live in a place to gets to 45 below zero. The older I get the less I like the teens here. And the wind chills yesterday were the worst I've felt in many years and they probably were only a few degrees below zero. This mornings 7 degrees in still air was enough to send me running right back to the heater. I can't imagine getting used to that kind of cold.

I know I'm stating the obvious, but if you have a high of 25...It's still 65 to 75 degrees colder in Alaska today. I know some folks in Montana who go to Belize to flyfish during the winter. Some years they leave it is -20 in Montana and 80ish when they get off the plane. That's a nice 100 degree temperature swing in just a few hours. Just think if you flew from Fairbanks to Belize. Had the kids in the yard on Monday...we lasted ten minutes. Though my one year old son, who loves winter weather as much as me, did not go willingly inside.

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

if you look at the obs map, clearly the southerly winds aim from central GA right to western SC and southern NC. My temp has gone from 29 to 30 to 31 just now in less than 2 hours. Wetbulb was 27 and dewpoints are coming up fast on the southwest wind. When you get closer to the mountains in GA they don'thave the great warming at the surface due to some upslope there, so my opinion is that western SC and southern NC is in a very, very bad spot for this event. Also, the RUC simulation shows a complete skip for a few hours in southern NC right over my area (surprise), then redevelopment points east. Western SC gets just a few token sleet to ZR but is very quick so its an extremely quick event to possibly nothing almost there. Really depends on radar but I don't have much faith in this setup now after given it more thought (for this area to CLT) . Points north and closer to the mountains things change quickly, more moisture, colder air and being in the steady moisture keeps the boundary layer cooler for much longer than southern /southwest NC. We'll see what the next few hours hold, but the southwest winds and nothing to block it here means this event is extremely limited here both duration and intensity (not that it ever looked like much, but I have serious doubts of staying subfreezing at the surface past 6 am).

if you look at the obs map, clearly the southerly winds aim from central GA right to western SC and southern NC. My temp has gone from 29 to 30 to 31 just now in less than 2 hours. Wetbulb was 27 and dewpoints are coming up fast on the southwest wind. When you get closer to the mountains in GA they don'thave the great warming at the surface due to some upslope there, so my opinion is that western SC and southern NC is in a very, very bad spot for this event. Also, the RUC simulation shows a complete skip for a few hours in southern NC right over my area (surprise), then redevelopment points east. Western SC gets just a few token sleet to ZR but is very quick so its an extremely quick event to possibly nothing almost there. Really depends on radar but I don't have much faith in this setup now after given it more thought (for this area to CLT) . Points north and closer to the mountains things change quickly, more moisture, colder air and being in the steady moisture keeps the boundary layer cooler for much longer than southern /southwest NC. We'll see what the next few hours hold, but the southwest winds and nothing to block it here means this event is extremely limited here both duration and intensity (not that it ever looked like much, but I have serious doubts of staying subfreezing at the surface past 6 am).

*gutpunch*

I know I'm stating the obvious, but if you have a high of 25...It's still 65 to 75 degrees colder in Alaska today. I know some folks in Montana who go to Belize to flyfish during the winter. Some years they leave it is -20 in Montana and 80ish when they get off the plane. That's a nice 100 degree temperature swing in just a few hours. Just think if you flew from Fairbanks to Belize. Had the kids in the yard on Monday...we lasted ten minutes. Though my one year old son, who loves winter weather as much as me, did not go willingly inside.

Large temp. difference is a short time can affect your body. I remember last year I took my niece for her first trip to Linville Caverns. It's like 50 degrees inside the Caverns year-round. We went on a hot June afternoon with the temps about 90. It was nice going inside the Caverns but as we left out, I literally got a nasty headache from drastic temperature contrast from being inside to going back outside.

Some posts got in after it, so I missed it. Is it really true that long threads create a drain? I don't see why they would.

Yeah. From what I was told, and if I remember correctly, every time someone clicks on a thread, the server has to load the entire cache of that thread and obviously those large threads use a lot more memory. If things are slow, it sort of is ok but when things are really busy and you have lots of people it will have an effect. This is why we had a hundred page thread in the sports forum on eastern and let it go but not these observation/storm threads.

Freezing rain has let up here in Kernersville. Still below freezing at 30. Driveway and neighborhood road completely covered in ice. I went for a drive earlier from Kville up through Oak Ridge and back over to Greensboro, and a lot of the roads were very slick... even the main roads had spots that could easily sneak up on you. I saw a lot of drivers that were getting too comfortable because the road appeared just wet, then they hit a slick spot and slow it down. Nasty day out there.

Yeah. From what I was told, and if I remember correctly, every time someone clicks on a thread, the server has to load the entire cache of that thread and obviously those large threads use a lot more memory. If things are slow, it sort of is ok but when things are really busy and you have lots of people it will have an effect. This is why we had a hundred page thread in the sports forum on eastern and let it go but not these observation/storm threads.

That's a dumb design.

Inutis already pointed it out in the other thread, but amazing temp contrast in north Ga currently. 50 in atlanta while it's 30 in gainesville. It just went above freezing here a little while ago too, 32.5 now. Greensboro southeast of athens is sitting at 46 also while athens is 33.

Btw, this system did make history from where I sit. I made mention earlier, I can't remember having any accumulating ice without east winds but we never had any east winds here. In fact, when it first started here, the winds were southwest. Only briefly did the winds turn around to the southeast but it was barely above calm like 1 or 2mph so that made no difference obviously.

Indeed, there are south winds all across the carolinas this morning. No one is reporting north or east winds. To me this is amazing. I thought they were probably going to be right and indeed it seems the models were right all along in not showing any east winds anywhere with this system.

Wow. Temps are in the 50's in Atlanta and schools are closed ??? I think even in North Fulton the roads are not that bad, with temps above freezing even there.

It's because of conditions up in north Fulton. I said earlier my dad reported ice issues going in to work at 8:00 AM. There are still icy spots on bridges apparently.

Archived