12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December #2/12-16 storm - OBS Thread

SnoJoe

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't understand why school systems have to close schools in the entire county when only a part of the county is experiencing ice. To me it makes sense to close schools in the areas that are having icing problems. No sense in closing schools in South Fulton when roads are perfectly fine.

Not that easy... it has as much to do with FTE counts and funding (how much money for how many students in a day) and attendance requirements as anything. There are many services in a county that overlap between schools (transportation, food service, central office staff, itinerant teachers), so it's an all or none proposition. Anything before or after 11:30 is a full day, so delayed openings count as a full day = full funding.

mcd2131.gif

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 2131

NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK

1000 AM CST THU DEC 16 2010

AREAS AFFECTED...SERN VA...ERN NC AND FAR SERN MD

CONCERNING...WINTER MIXED PRECIPITATION

VALID 161600Z - 162000Z

FREEZING RAIN RATES FROM .10 TO .15 INCH/HOUR ARE EXPECTED ACROSS

EASTERN NC...WITH SNOWFALL RATES OCCASIONALLY ABOVE 1 INCH PER HOUR

OCCURRING ACROSS SERN VA/FAR SERN MD UNTIL MID AFTERNOON.

THEREAFTER...THOUGH LIGHT AND POSSIBLY SOME MODERATE PCPN MAY STILL

BE OCCURRING IN SOME AREAS...THE HEAVIER PCPN SHOULD BE ABATING BY

THAT TIME.

COMBINATION OF UPPER WAVE MOVING EWD THROUGH OH/KY AND STRONG WARM

ADVECTION HAS RESULTED IN WIDESPREAD WINTER PCPN ACROSS VA/NC REGION

THIS MORNING. AS WAVE PASSES RAPIDLY EWD THROUGH THE REGION...850 MB

WINDS WILL VEER TO WLY WITH WARM ADVECTION/ ISENTROPIC LIFT

GRADUALLY WEAKENING. ALSO...SURFACE LOW IN ERN KY IS EXPECTED TO

SHIFT EWD AND FILL...AS UPPER WAVE RESULTS IN CYCLOGENESIS ALONG

WARM FRONT EAST OF DELMARVA. THUS...HEAVY PCPN IS GRADUALLY EXPECTED

TO DIMINISH THIS AFTERNOON AS MAIN FORCING SHIFTS EWD OFFSHORE.

HOWEVER...UNTIL THAT TIME...SIGNIFICANT ICING WILL BE POSSIBLE

ACROSS NERN NC/VA BORDER WITH MODERATE INTENSITY FREEZING RAIN.

NORTH OF THIS REGION...MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL SPREAD NEWD INTO

SERN MD BEFORE THE HEAVIER SNOW SHIFTS OFFSHORE MID/LATE AFTERNOON.

..IMY.. 12/16/2010

ATTN...WFO...AKQ...MHX...LWX...RAH...

Question: forecast says it should be 46 and cloudy here right now. Instead it's 35 and raining (ick)- If the temps and precip forecast for tonight are off by 10 degrees. it means another nasty start tomorrow morning. Why such a difference?

It's 50 in Kennesaw and 56 in Huntsville. Have patience and your temps will pop. Just wait and watch.

The scene from this morning...most is gone at this point, or rather, it's mostly mush and yuck. Ice is still accumulating on the trees, bushes and powerlines, though. The crepe myrtle is looking rather weepy right now and my butterfly bush is all but flat to the ground. According to RWI, we are finally up to 32 so hopefully we'll be thawing soon - definitely don't want power issues or branches all over the yard.

edit: For some reason, I can't attach a pic :( I'll try later.

too bad it didnt stay below freezing, since we are still getting rain and could have had a better glaze. finally got out of the house, temp is 33.8 roads mostly wet, a few icy patches on the bridges still (they have put salt and sand down).

since we already had ice, and most things closed, we could have just had ice the rest of the day :devilsmiley:

i am glad to see that a lot of the se posters ended up with wintry precip. event last about 17 hours here (the freezing part) - not bad at all :thumbsup:

too bad it didnt stay below freezing, since we are still getting rain and could have had a better glaze. finally got out of the house, temp is 33.8 roads mostly wet, a few icy patches on the bridges still (they have put salt and sand down).

since we already had ice, and most things closed, we could have just had ice the rest of the day :devilsmiley:

i am glad to see that a lot of the se posters ended up with wintry precip. event last about 17 hours here (the freezing part) - not bad at all :thumbsup:

Yeah, it was definitely a solid ZR event here, if short-lived. We don't have a lot of pines here so most trees are just fine, but my neighbor's pine (Christmas tree looking thing, I have no idea what it's called) is drooping a good bit. From what it looks like we had freezing drizzle just about all night with temps only getting above freezing around 8 AM or so.

Yeah, it was definitely a solid ZR event here, if short-lived. We don't have a lot of pines here so most trees are just fine, but my neighbor's pine (Christmas tree looking thing, I have no idea what it's called) is drooping a good bit. From what it looks like we had freezing drizzle just about all night with temps only getting above freezing around 8 AM or so.

This kind of ice storm is OK, any colder or any more precip may have caused power problems, I was out for a week once, I never want to go through that again. Plus the traffic was a total nightmare last evening. Ice storms are my least favorite winter event.

This kind of ice storm is OK, any colder or any more precip may have caused power problems, I was out for a week once, I never want to go through that again. Plus the traffic was a total nightmare last evening. Ice storms are my least favorite winter event.

I've never had major issues from ice in the 10 years I've lived here, so I suppose I'm not jaded like some of the folks on here are. Like HWY316 said (or was it Dacula?) weather weenies like any type of weather that is out of the ordinary.

I've never had major issues from ice in the 10 years I've lived here, so I suppose I'm not jaded like some of the folks on here are. Like HWY316 said (or was it Dacula?) weather weenies like any type of weather that is out of the ordinary.

I've been hit hard by icestorms multiple times but I still love them. Anything is better than rain this time of year. We have a very limited time to experience such variety so it is special when it happens imo. Plus, just tracking the temperature gradients has always been fascinated to me.

And The temperature gradient continues to impress me today. Just a few minutes ago, Athens was 39 while lexington, about 15 or 16 miles east of the airport, was 54 while I was at 44. Now, athens is 41, lexington 55, and I'm 49...it jumped 5 degrees in less than 10 minutes. So this is an impressive warm front.

Archived