• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
April 14th, 2012 Plains High Risk

TWP. May I ask what type of vehicle you guys were in during that video?

A 2010 Toyota Highlander - the wind picked up the front portion of the vehicle briefly and we did some rocking, but overall, it did very well. The front windshield will have to be replaced, the pressure & wind spider cracked the window in several spots and debris (mostly sand and dirty) got lodged all across the front window/in the window. Had a little bit of grill damage and lost a portion of the roof rack. Other than that, the go pro's case was cracked but no major major damage. Very fortunate for the type of winds we were dealing with. I'm going to try to pull the data off of our weather station later tonight.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A 2010 Toyota Highlander - the wind picked up the front portion of the vehicle briefly and we did some rocking, but overall, it did very well. The front windshield will have to be replaced, the pressure & wind spider cracked the window in several spots and debris (mostly sand and dirty) got lodged all across the front window/in the window. Had a little bit of grill damage and lost a portion of the roof rack. Other than that, the go pro's case was cracked but no major major damage. Very fortunate for the type of winds we were dealing with. I'm going to try to pull the data off of our weather station later tonight.

You're a nut :lol:

You're a nut :lol:

A damn lucky nut! Can't even begin to describe the surreal feeling today as we woke up and everything sunk in. I ultimately made the decision to go East and put my whole team in a life threatening situation. Definitely something I won't get over for a while. Still have that sick to my stomach feeling/nerves completely shot. I am definitely ready for a couple beers. 2 hours from home right now.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DES MOINES IA

422 PM CDT SUN APR 15 2012

...FINAL DAMAGE SURVEY RESULTS FOR CRESTON...

...CRESTON TORNADO RATED AS A STRONG EF2...

THE FOLLOWING IS A FINAL ASSESSMENT FOR THE DAMAGE THAT OCCURRED OVER

CRESTON ON APRIL 14, 2012.

* EVENT DATE: APRIL 14, 2012

* ESTIMATED START TIME: 6:55PM

* EVENT TYPE: (EF2) TORNADO

* EVENT LOCATION: NORTHWEST CRESTON

* PEAK WIND: 130 MPH

* AVERAGE PATH WIDTH: APPROXIMATELY 600 YARDS THROUGH CRESTON

* PATH LENGTH: 14 MILES

* INJURIES: 10 (PRELIMINARY)

* FATALITIES: 0 (PRELIMINARY)

* DISCUSSION/DAMAGE: THE TORNADO BEGAN ABOUT ONE AND A HALF MILES

EAST OF CROMWELL AND TRACKED NORTHEASTWARD THROUGH THE FAR

NORTHWEST PORTION OF CRESTON. THE CRESTON MEDICAL CLINIC AND

SOUTHWESTERN COMMUNITY COLLEGE SUSTAINED EF2 DAMAGE...WITH THE

WORST DAMAGE OCCURRING TO THE GREEN HILLS EDUCATIONAL CENTER.

THE TORNADO CONTINUED TRACKING NORTHEAST AND DAMAGED A FEW

FARMSTEADS NORTHEAST OF CRESTON. THE TORNADO DISSIPATED TEN MILES

NORTHEAST OF CRESTON.

Thanks! Consider yourself lucky winds didn't circulate and lift underneath you. That's why I asked, the car seemed pretty stable so I assumed a low-profile vehicle. Impressive stuff for that Toyota, certainly.

Great stuff. I've been in two tornadoes, but both in my house (same house, two years apart actually), one I got thrown across the room. You chasers are in my blood.

A damn lucky nut! Can't even begin to describe the surreal feeling today as we woke up and everything sunk in. I ultimately made the decision to go East and put my whole team in a life threatening situation. Definitely something I won't get over for a while. Still have that sick to my stomach feeling/nerves completely shot. I am definitely ready for a couple beers. 2 hours from home right now.

I'm just a rookie, if that, only one chase and one tornado, but I have some strong feelings about this.

Chasing at night in general is stupid considering how easy it is to get in a car accident in stormy conditions when you can't see that far ahead of you. Chasing at night without a radar is even stupider. I'm glad you and your team are ok but I don't understand why you would be driving around Wichita blind during a tornado emergency if you're a trained meteorologist. The footage isn't even worth it since it's too dark to see anything. You also kept going even though it was clear you were getting into the storm's inner circulation (probably the RFD but I can't be sure just by the footage alone). None of us are perfect and I'm not trying to rail on you since you realize the error, but it's an error that should have never happened.

I've noticed storm chasers throw common sense and caution to the wind in general, only a matter of time until someone dies, and only a matter of time until it becomes illegal because chasers are putting other people on the road at risk as well as using up emergency resources. That will be a shame since the real scientists who are out there for research and follow the rules of the road like every other responsible adult will not be able to chase anymore.

This KS family decided to get in the car and go after seeing an approaching tornado on RADAR - the one with the prelim EF-4 rating near Salina...

Evacuation is plausible if the evacuees are informed, proactive and have a plan - looks like it worked for this family.

http://www.salina.co...story/Tornadoes

Until you go from one family to 500 families.

This KS family decided to get in the car and go after seeing an approaching tornado on RADAR - the one with the prelim EF-4 rating near Salina...

Evacuation is plausible if the evacuees are informed, proactive and have a plan - looks like it worked for this family.

http://www.salina.co...story/Tornadoes

Worked in Picher, OK as well.

As long as the land is flat and you can see for a long way, this wouldn't be a good idea in the southeast though.

I think someone else already hit on this, but I want to say it again. I spent the entire day in Kansas, and the first responders were all over these storms as they went on. They really have their act together down there, and all the local radio and tv stations were right on top of the storms. It's great to see first hand just how prepared people are down there, and the firefighters/police/spotters really deserve a lot of credit for how prepared they were.

The SW of Salina damage sounds particularly intense.

"DAMAGE HAS BEEN NOTED NEAR KANOPOLIS LAKE WHERE A FARMSTEAD WAS DECIMATED...TREES WERE STRIPPED OF THE BARK AND THE ROADS WERE SCOURED. THIS AREA IS VERY RURAL AND FEW OTHER STRUCTURES HAVE BEEN HIT BY THE TORNADO. THEREFORE...THE RATING IS PRELIMINARY AS THE ASSESSMENT CONTINUES."

On another note, that tornado was strikingly similar in appearance to the Tuscaloosa tornado.

Edit: *Video not from me*

The SW Salina video is absolutely one of the most incredible tornado videos I have ever seen - the motion is incredible. And it is quite reminiscent of Tuscaloosa, but to me, the tornado it most reminds me of is the Philadelphia, MS tornado, especially as it crosses the road.

There are so many amazing videos that are coming in; do you folks think that videos from this outbreak series might be enough to warrant their own thread for discussion merit and ease of access?

"DAMAGE HAS BEEN NOTED NEAR KANOPOLIS LAKE WHERE A FARMSTEAD WAS DECIMATED...TREES WERE STRIPPED OF THE BARK AND THE ROADS WERE SCOURED. THIS AREA IS VERY RURAL AND FEW OTHER STRUCTURES HAVE BEEN HIT BY THE TORNADO. THEREFORE...THE RATING IS PRELIMINARY AS THE ASSESSMENT CONTINUES."

On another note, that tornado was strikingly similar in appearance to the Tuscaloosa tornado.

Those cattle got wrecked at 2:45.

No milk from them for a week.

Until you go from one family to 500 families.

I remember KFOR on May 24 2011 telling everyone in El Reno to get underground or get out of the way...then there was a long train of evacuees leaving the city on their helicopter camera. Storm Chasers also had a segment on the evacuation. It would probably have been very different if the EF5 had hit the city urban centre, but it did happen that day with several hundreds to thousands of people trying to evacuate ahead of a tornado.

PRELIMINARY LOCAL STORM REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DODGE CITY KS

944 PM CDT SUN APR 15 2012

..TIME... ...EVENT... ...CITY LOCATION... ...LAT.LON...

..DATE... ....MAG.... ..COUNTY LOCATION..ST.. ...SOURCE....

..REMARKS..

0325 PM TORNADO 4 E CENTERVIEW 37.81N 99.20W

04/14/2012 EDWARDS KS PUBLIC

A TORNADO WAS OBSERVED. THE TORNADO DESTROYED NUMEROUS

FARM IMPLEMENTS INCLUDING FLIPPING 4 GRAIN AUGERS THROUGH

A GRAIN BIN. TWO COMPLETE PIVOT IRRIGATION SYSTEMS WERE

DESTROYED. CONCRETE CATTLE GRATES WERE PULLED FROM THE

GROUND AND THROWN 100 FEET ON TOP OF GRAIN BINS.

That's a pretty impressive little feat there. I wonder how well they were anchored? I've seen a tornado rated EF-3 for little more than that. Although I have no idea if that rating would stand upon wind engineering analysis.

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WICHITA KS

825 PM CDT SUN APR 15 2012

...PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT...

PRELIMINARY EF3 DAMAGE WAS DETERMINED IN SUMNER COUNTY SOUTH OF

CONWAY SPRINGS.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND THIS INFORMATION IS NOT FINAL AND THE RATING

MAY CHANGE WITH FURTHER INVESTIGATION.

INITIAL ASSESSMENTS HAVE BEEN COMPLETED FOR THE DAY AND FURTHER

INVESTIGATION WILL BE NEEDED TO GATHER MORE INFORMATION ON

POTENTIAL TORNADOES IN OTHER LOCATIONS.

That has to be the most impressive tornado video I've seen. I've never felt closer to the event than I did watching that.

Sorry for the ignorant question but what does determining the EF rating after the fact accomplish? Do they compare to radar scans during the event etc? Must be a pretty sobering job, although they do great work. Thanks in advance.

The survey results are used to maintain the official climate record, used for verification, and used in research projects.

Archived