Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 14th, 2012 Plains High Risk

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Staying in DSM tonight, plan to leave around 9am, should be enough time to have to get to any target tomorrow. Both northern/target areas have their pros/cons...will need a good analysis in the morning to figure things out. The colored pencils are ready. Good luck to all out tomorrow and please drive safe.

Both northern/target areas have their pros/cons...will need a good analysis in the morning to figure things out. The colored pencils are ready. Good luck to all out tomorrow and please drive safe.

same here. I am still debating on eastern Nebraska (currently in Lincoln) or going down to McPherson (my home). Only reason im in Nebraska at the moment is because i had to bring some stuff to my brother and possibility of going to the spring football game

I think a good play would be between Omaha and Lincoln, as it stands right now. Of course this can and probably will change.

Yeah I think my virtual target is probably York NE for tonight, we'll see what the overnight convection does. I like the further southwest targets so that you can get into the warm sector and creep up behind the warm front to chase these things from the backside so you don't get run over plus you'll get a better view from the south.

0z NAM has shifted low farther west and south. Most likely going to target around the North Platte, NE area. LCLs are remarkably low along with early initiating storms and slower storm movements. Southeasterly surface winds are a huge pro here and will greatly increase 0-1km shear. To me this is a no brainer, not only in environmental conditions but chaser convergence wise as well.

Chip

I am thinking that with the day one outlook for Saturday evening, that SW MN will be put into a slight risk area, it may even include the Twin Cities metro (although I don't think so).. Depending what the models show tonight, a mod risk is not out of the question for SW MN. By Sunday there is no question in my mind that the Twin Cities metro will be be under a slight risk. We will set up under the warm sector with the Euro showing 90-120 knts winds at 200mb intersecting the warm sector, and 500mb winds at 50 knots or so, per the 13/12z ECMWF... very interesting indeed

I think a good play would be between Omaha and Lincoln, as it stands right now. Of course this can and probably will change.

Thinking like Thundersnow after advice earlier from Snowgoose, KS/NE border and reassess from there. The worrying thing looking at the NAM soundings is that in Nebraska, the instability and shear really ramp up at 00z and later. Hoping that it's not a nighttime show.

I can't say I have used the GEM much for convective storms, just mostly winter systems. Medium to short range, how does it typically handle it? Seems to me its over-doing precip over quite a wide area with poor resolution.

Chip

I can't say I have used the GEM much for convective storms, just mostly winter systems. Medium to short range, how does it typically handle it? Seems to me its over-doing precip over quite a wide area with poor resolution.

Chip

The RGEM is a skillful model, I think it is better than the NAM. It runs at 15 km, is not non-hydrostatic like the NAM, and unfortunately only comes in 12 hr plots from EC...hence why it looks like it is "overdoing" it.

Yeah I think my virtual target is probably York NE for tonight, we'll see what the overnight convection does. I like the further southwest targets so that you can get into the warm sector and creep up behind the warm front to chase these things from the backside so you don't get run over plus you'll get a better view from the south.

With the storms moving at 50-55mph I'd play the warm front from the North that way you aren't chasing from behind all day.

according to MPX the number 3 analog storm is March 29th 1998, the Comfrey/St Peter storm that was long tracked.....say 67 miles or so.

I won't bore you with the MPX afternoon AFD....but here is a link to the set up and the evolving storm that set up. Again I won't post the whole thing, just a link that peeps can choose to read...

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/mpx/?n=1998mar29

you guys there at LBF can't get the better plots from EC-MSC? good thing i have connections with former co-workers at TWN in mississaga.

and fwiw, it looks like 3 bands will get going with the latest RGEM. the first with the warm front, #2 with a short-wave that enters the warm sector near 18Z, and the 3rd near the cold front/dry line near 21Z. i am hoping that's not the case as that would make for S+M type treatment for everyone involved.

Still thinking there are outs in the KS/OK area tomorrow...if convection doesn't fire. That said...don't want to be in the path of any discrete cell that does go there tomorrow. In terms of confidence...actually more convinced in NE tomorrow just simply because storm coverage shouldn't be a concern...and parameters may be maximized in that triple point area. Suspect SPC will keep both Highs...but if they go 45% in one area...think the northern area has the better shot at least initially.

Archived