Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 14th, 2012 Plains High Risk

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seems to be very little ongoing convection atm within the risk area outside of the complex now pushing E of Tulsa. Anything else expected to fire prior to main initiation later this afternoon? I know the NAM shows some stuff in N OK around 15z but we are getting into nowcast range at the point.

Been noticing the clouds developing/cooling a bit in W OK this morning. Not sure if whatever is causing that will push up some showers/t-storms or not though. Might be what the NAM was seeing.

Ah, site I had looked at had the wrong start time - 1PM isn't quite as bad, I guess.

However the Oklahoma Spring Game is in fact at 2PM.

Oklahoma State Spring game is fortunately not today.

Not that I assume they attract nearly as many people anyway, I assume, but fortunately the K-State, Kansas and Tulsa Spring games are not today.

I wrote this scale while I was at school yesterday. Some is be different than my original.

TORrisk Scale

CAPE

1. 1000 j/kg to 2000 j/kg

2. 2000 j/kg to 3000 j/kg

3. 3000+ j/kg

EHI

1. 2-4

2. 4-7

3. 7+

SCP

1. 12 to 20

2. 20 to 28

3. 28+

STP

1. 2-6

2. 6-8

3. 8+

To use, you use the current parameters to find the numbers. For example, let's say the current paramters for Location X are

1475 j/kg CAPE

4 EHI

20 SCP

4 STP

That would translate to 1,2,2,1.

(Note, always round up if you have a parameter that is right on the border of two numbers, such as 20 SCP)

Since thier are equal numbers of 2 and 1, the final TORrisk number is 1.5

If thier were 3 1s, the TORrisk would be 1. If thier were 3 2s, it would be 2.

NOTE: If you have numbers that are all 3s, the TORrisk number is 4, the highest possible TORrisk number.

Any questions?

anybody know if this is the largest expansion of High Risk in history ? Has to be the most in years. no ?

I guess we can't say they screwed up this go around... unless this outbreak severely underplays.

I don't think so, there have been many high risk days extending from NE into OK in the past. This event I think will work out as expected for KS and NE, OK I am not so sure....especially once south of an Enid-Stillwater line. North of there I think one or 2 cells will fire.

Archived