CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
April 12th/13th and 15-16th Severe Weather Thread

andyhb

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can tell this was made in ArcGIS... It's a total MESS. Someone at CPC needs to take a class in Cartography!

Not to side track this thread - but do not blame the program... ArcGIS is rather amazing....when you know how to use it properly.

Not to side track this thread - but do not blame the program... ArcGIS is rather amazing....when you know how to use it properly.

Last comment on this... ArcGIS is amazing, I'm currently in a class for it. This maps failure is simply the creator's fault/ lack of cartography skill.

All of the global models appear to be on the same page with regard to the timing of the trough ejection for the Saturday event. There really isn't a whole lot of room for change from here on out on the synoptic scale, and I think a "SPC high risk" magnitude event is pretty much a given at this point. The main question is really: how big will this outbreak be? The potential for an event rivaling the historic Plains outbreaks of the past (i.e. 5/3/99, 4/26/91, 3/13/90, etc) is certainly there...

The 18z NAM is very impressive for Saturday.

Friday and Saturday may both be bad. A lot will depend on mesoscale features that may not become apparent until the day of the storms. If the 18z NAM is right, then tomorrow evening in N OK and S KS could be pretty bad.

It's been a long time since we have had a multi day significant svr event particularly of the magnitude being forecast that might rival the historic plains outbreaks of the past. I'll probably be glued to this board through Sunday at least and very appreciative of the nowcasts and field reports which this community can provide.

ICT

SAT:

THE MAIN UPPER TROUGH IS EXPECTED TO BE ON THE MOVE SAT AND WILL BE

OVER THE DESERT SW BY SAT AFTERNOON. THE DRYLINE IS EXPECTED TO BE

WEST OF 135 ON SAT AND MORE THAN LIKELY ON THE WESTERN FRINGES OF

OUR FORECAST AREA. THIS FEATURE WILL ONCE AGAIN BE THE MAIN FOCUS FOR

STORM DEVELOP LATER SAT AFTERNOON INTO SAT EVENING. GIVEN THE

UNFAVORABLE JET QUAD AND LACK OF LARGE SCALE FORCING...FEEL THE

MORE WIDESPREAD CONVECTION WILL BE NORTH OF THE FORECAST AREA.

HOWEVER WITH MID LEVEL COOLING OVER THE DRYLINE AND BACKED WINDS

AFTER 21Z...FEEL FAIRLY CONFIDENT THAT A FEW STORMS WILL DEVELOP

ALONG THE DRYLINE. EVEN WITH MINIMAL CAPPING...STILL FEEL CONFIDENT

THAT STORMS WILL WAIT UNTIL GENERALLY AFTER 21Z TO DEVELOP AND MORE

THAN LIKELY TOWARD 00Z SUN. WHAT IS A BIT CONCERNING FOR TORNADOES

AFTER DARK IS THAT THE 0-3KM CAPE INCREASES AFTER 00Z WITH CIN

REMAINING MINIMAL. SO ANY SUPERCELL THAT DEVELOPS EARLY SAT EVENING

WILL HAVE A GOOD CHANCE TO REMAIN ROOTED IN THE BOUNDARY LAYER AFTER

DARK. SHEAR AND INSTABILITY COMBOS WOULD FAVOR SUPERCELLS CAPABLE OF

PRODUCING TORNADOES SOME OF WHICH COULD BE LONG TRACK.

Thank you!! That's what I have been saying all along! I lived my whole life in Oklahoma, and I don't remember having a significant overnight tornado threat.  The only I can remember was the 1984 overnight event that hit Morris and Mannford, cities outside of Tulsa.  This could be quite scary!

Most huge tornadoes for Oklahoma comes in the afternoon, early evening.

Granted I'm not exactly sure how nocturnal is defined but Oklahoma gets a decent amount of them.

nighttime-tornadoes-big.jpg

I know this always comes up a few times every year, but tomorrow we really may see the first D2 HIGH risk in six years.

Not only is there a strong chance of tornadoes, but the greatest threat is after dark. This could be a very dangerous situation if the solution the models are showing comes to fruition.

I know this always comes up a few times every year, but tomorrow we really may see the first D2 HIGH risk in six years.

Not only is there a strong chance of tornadoes, but the greatest threat is after dark. This could be a very dangerous situation if the solution the models are showing comes to fruition.

Was the Alabama outbreak not a high risk on Day 2? For some reason I was thinking so, but I'm probably wrong.

Archived