• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
April 12th/13th and 15-16th Severe Weather Thread

andyhb

The 10% tornado probabilities definitely didn't get verified, but the hatching was warranted based on the conditional potential alone in my opinion.

I think if there had been greater surface heating today, the stregth of WAA aloft would not be chewing these warm sector storms up like it is. The updrafts just aren't being maintained through the warm nose.

Agreed on both subjects.

The potential was there, and the 10% hatched was warranted given impressive shear profiles and strong CAPE.

Hi-res models really never liked today from what I had observed.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As Srain mentioned, the Gulf should practically flow into the Plains on Saturday.

Also, forcing doesn't look like an issue (as of now)

I'm kinda surprised at the mention of "weak large scale ascent" in the ICT AFD. You have 60-80 kt H5 winds and 80-100+ kt upper level winds overspreading the warm sector by 00z.

Yeah, seen it happen before though 2-3 times already this year. When you hear the phrase "STRONG TORNADOES", in the SPC outlooks, it really sounds the alarms. Plains residents are probably praying for a repeat of today on Saturday.

it's warranted if the situation would cause them should it reach its potential. part of the problem is that the strong tornado part is the one heavily fed to the public in a deterministic way when it's a probabilistic forecast.

I mean, it's not even just the unfavorable jet orientation, but the delayed forcing due to the positive tilt of the trough, the stout EML consisting of H7 temps over 7-8C, and the weak VV's progged by the NAM at 00Z.

From now until Saturday is a relatively long time in the world of severe wx. It doesn't take much to make an outbreak impressive given what is progged. You'll have to wait and see how things progress into Saturday morning. Tough to pin down the important mesoscale aspects as well this far out.

Still trying to learn here, but from what I am reading, we might not be dealing with the MAJOR outbreak that was being discussed earlier? Sure is a sudden change of tone here.

Not what I was trying to imply, my bad if I sounded that way. But I am thinking that there is a chance at least the southern half of the MDT won't verify. We're still on track for a significant outbreak, but we should keep in mind that it is by no means a lock and that there are possible failure modes.

From now until Saturday is a relatively long time in the world of severe wx. It doesn't take much to make an outbreak impressive given what is progged. You'll have to wait and see how things progress into Saturday morning. Tough to pin down the important mesoscale aspects as well this far out.

All true, but none of the things I mentioned are mesoscale in nature.

Just looking at the 00z NAM. Looks like it wants to blow storms up across S OK by 16z tomorrow, expands them to the northeast with plenty of CAPE for severe weather. The surface winds are basically SWesterly.

usarefcclm016.gif

Redevelopment occurs over the NW 1/2 of OK during the afternoon as surface winds back to the SE.

usarefcclm022.gif

Archived