• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
April 12th/13th and 15-16th Severe Weather Thread

andyhb

High risk is already rare enough that I can't see the value in creating a new categorical risk. I'm also not sure where he is getting that information from, unless it is in NWSChat. It certainly isn't in the 12Planet interoffice chats.

For what it's worth, I didn't see anything about this in any relevant chats. Seems highly suspect. Maybe he meant higher than 60% probs? But even still, I'm not sure if that's necessary.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was a joke that Mike Hollingshead (storm chaser) posted about an hour ago, and obviously some of his FB friends are a bit dense.

Okay good. Couldn't see the SPC having the go ahead to do that, since a HIGH risk is already pretty rare enough as it is. Couldn't see them change a policy in 24 hours.

The strong 12z GFS run really ramps up the low level helicity across eastern NE along/near the warm front Saturday. Some of the hodos up there look nasty. 12Z GFS is also substantially faster with the ejection than 00z.

I am at work and cannot look for myself... What time frame are we talking about here for imitation of storms?

It was a joke that Mike Hollingshead (storm chaser) posted about an hour ago, and obviously some of his FB friends are a bit dense.

Well looks as if everybody has been successfully whipped into a frenzy about this. I hope the majority of people in the field are focused on getting the message out and not on the "wedges" they'll get to see tomorrow.

As an aside, I can't wait for the "there was no warning" stories. ;)

lol @ people thinking a governmental agency would able to change a policy that quickly.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the use of "Tornado Emergency" basically on the fly? I don't think it takes an act of congress to change wording on short notice. I'm not saying any change needs to be made in this situation and as we are finding out this is a joke but I suppose if the SPC felt it was warranted they could go above high risk with out too much bureaucracy getting in the way.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't the use of "Tornado Emergency" basically on the fly? I don't think it takes an act of congress to change wording on short notice. I'm not saying any change needs to be made in this situation and as we are finding out this is a joke but I suppose if the SPC felt it was warranted they could go above high risk with out too much bureaucracy getting in the way.

Tornado Emergency came out as a local product on the fly. I don't know the inner workings of the NWS, but I imagine a local office has much more freedom in what they write in their warnings and statements, versus that of a national forecast product.

Joke fail.

New Day 1 basically unchanged.

AGAIN -- WITH GENERALLY WEAK/SUBTLE

FORCING FOR ASCENT...STORMS SHOULD REMAIN FAIRLY ISOLATED INITIALLY

-- AND THUS WILL MAINTAIN ONLY SLIGHT RISK CATEGORICAL FORECAST

ATTM. HOWEVER...ANY STORM WHICH DOES DEVELOP WILL BE CAPABLE OF

PRODUCING VERY LARGE HAIL...DAMAGING WINDS...AND POTENTIALLY

STRONG/LONG-LIVED TORNADOES.

12z RGEM and 12z GFS are really ramping up the strength of the upper low. RGEM has a tendency to be a bit over amped sometimes, but it goes 985 and cranks up the low in western NE with a neutral tilt low. Big changes have a tendency to come at this stage as the upper low begins to cross over the pacific coast...any increase in the low level mass fields just ramps things up all that much more.

I agree. SE NE would be my play from what little detail I have looked at. This event is waking me out of my weather slumber of this winter. Finally feeling the chase desires starting to flow. Of course my chasing will have to what till later in June.

To be honest, i'd rather play the WF than the dry line. Hodographs are disgusting up that way, and probably everybody and their mother will be on the dryline.

To be honest, i'd rather play the WF than the dry line. Hodographs are disgusting up that way, and probably everybody and their mother will be on the dryline.

Yeah I agree. Chaser convergence will be insane along I-35. Really the only problem up that way may be substantially more DMC erupting along/near the warm front as the PV plows across Nebraska. Might get messy.

Yeah I agree. Chaser convergence will be insane along I-35. Really the only problem up that way may be substantially more DMC erupting along/near the warm front as the PV plows across Nebraska. Might get messy.

Parameters just look so good up that way, even the early stuff will be incredibly potent before any possible mergers.

Parameters just look so good up that way, even the early stuff will be incredibly potent before any possible mergers.

Yeah I agree, I was just looking for an excuse not to head that way. Seems like I35 has all the attention with this event, but eastern NE seems like a better spot to be. The low level/deep layer shear is so strong with sufficient CAPE it seems storm mode will stay mostly discrete.

Archived