Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
The unofficial official absurdly warm for March thread, Part II

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know..but that is still impressive. I mean would you expect PWM to be 61F on March 19th with a sustained 18kt NE wind? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Temps will drop along the coast shortly, but this is impressive.

That's a 9F drop in the last hour there, though. A NE wind down the ME coast is technically a land breeze. I don't believe the impact of the BD on the temperature distribution is as meaningful for that location as it will be for BOS when that cuts under this environmental warmth whenever it does - The ocean is a heat sink of epic blackhole variety and will thermally suck the life out of 61F air that passes over the GOM ...then hits land.

I wonder if BOS makes 42F by sunset?

That's a 9F drop in the last hour there, though. A NE wind down the ME coast is technically a land breeze. I don't believe the impact of the BD on the temperature distribution is as meaningful for that location as it will be for BOS when that cuts under this environmental warmth whenever it does - The ocean is a heat sink epic blackhole variety and will thermally suck the life out of 61F air that pass over the GOM ...then hits land.

I wonder if BOS makes 42F by sunset?

Well it's an 060 wind which has a marine component. I know what you mean...a NE wind at BOS is straight off the water so when that kicks in...the terminal drops like a rock, but PWM is still impressive to me.

Meanwhile while the BDF lurks off the coast, it feels like June out there and leaves are popping out left and right.

I fully expect at least a quarter of trees in this area to leaf out by the end of this week ASOUT.

I haven't seen any signs of any leaves on trees. I still doubt that. Trees that line the sides of buildings don't count.

any forsythia in bloom down there? That is usually the first sign. Then everything goes a couple of days later!

They are starting..along with magnolias believe it or not. However, I haven't seen the normal maples or oaks show signs of leaf out. Not even close. I think this week will jump start things, but then it cools down after next weekend which will slow it down. I just don't see 25% of trees with leaves out by the 24th.

any forsythia in bloom down there? That is usually the first sign. Then everything goes a couple of days later!

Forsythia all bloomed on my street today and most of the daffodils. There were a couple blooming yesterday but majority today. Magnolias are all blooming now. The leaves are too small to take pictures but I can see the leaves coming out of the buds. After the 80s on Thursday there will be a lot of leaves out, enough to take pictures. These aren't just the little trees by roads and buildings also some of the really large trees are sending out their leaves today.

Forsythia are blooming everywhere..MORCH

Where? I have one right next to my driveway that I've been looking at every day...nothing. Maybe some buddy in the valley next to buildings and highways, but I haven't seen any in Manchester, Springfield anywhere.

My apologies for the fuzzy picture, but here's how mine looks.

They are starting..along with magnolias believe it or not. However, I haven't seen the normal maples or oaks show signs of leaf out. Not even close. I think this week will jump start things, but then it cools down after next weekend which will slow it down. I just don't see 25% of trees with leaves out by the 24th.

Yeah, I have a grove of maples that I planted a few years ago and yesterday I was examining them closely and I didn't see any sign of leaf out. You could tell the buds were swelling, but that's about it. I was also out in the woods pulling taps and there isn't much going on with the exception of the daffodils and other early bloomers that folks have mentioned.

I think this week is going to confuse a lot of nature...

Forsythia all bloomed on my street today and most of the daffodils. There were a couple blooming yesterday but majority today. Magnolias are all blooming now. The leaves are too small to take pictures but I can see the leaves coming out of the buds. After the 80s on Thursday there will be a lot of leaves out, enough to take pictures. These aren't just the little trees by roads and buildings also some of the really large trees are sending out their leaves today.

I find that right after the forsythia the Norway Maples open their big green blooms. Norway Maples follow right after the forsythia. I don't think you will be even close to 25% leaf out after this week in Southern New England. Forsythia, magnolias, some azaleas and the Norway Maples. Everything else just buds. Then things will come to a near halt next week and progress very, very slowly unless we get another torch. I think you need days in the upper 50's to keep things moving along. Just my opinion.

I can't believe Logan just broke a record with an east wind in March.

it's hard to even wrap your mind around what's going on right now.

you go outside, walk around...it's 70F-80F around the area...and you think "what a nice day" but then you remember that's it's mid-march. it's easier for it to snow this time of year than do what it's doing.

the coastal obs from PVC to BOS up into Maine are mind-boggling. if someone showed you just the boston ob and not the date, you'd guess late June. LOL.

it's hard to even wrap your mind around what's going on right now.

you go outside, walk around...it's 70F-80F around the area...and you think "what a nice day" but then you remember that's it's mid-march. it's easier for it to snow this time of year than do what it's doing.

the coastal obs from PVC to BOS up into Maine are mind-boggling. if someone showed you just the boston ob and not the date, you'd guess late June. LOL.

The only thing that I can think of, is that there is quite a bit of subsidence that's allowing for these warm temps even at the onset of ne winds, similar to When BOS can be 90 on a se wind in July. Combine that with a warm tongue just aloft.

Is GON's record really 56F for today? That's already broken...lol

Also, note Westerly's obs on Mesowest...56F at Watch Hill,, 64F at the airport, 67F a mile south of 95. Great sea breeze example.

Also, 56F at Westbrook's Pilot's Pt. Marina and 71F at my house 3 miles inland.

GON's record for today is 59 set back on 3/19/2010. GTNC3's (Groton coop) record a couple miles inland is also 59 set back in 2001. The coop's records go back to the late-50s.

I reached a very brief high of 70 in Old Lyme today (2 miles inland) for the first time since Oct 14, but now quickly falling back through the 60s.

Archived