• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The unofficial official absurdly warm for March thread, Part II

Typhoon Tip

Hi all, we've been discussing this somewhat in the latter pages of the nearing 50 pager.

There are some subtle yet emerging signals that we may turn colder, winterlike not impossible, at the close of this month and heading into the first week of April. Others have heen been discussing this as well. The overnight teleconnectors from both the CPC and CDC came in with considerablydownward moving EPO numbers, as well as the NAO to some lesser obvious degree. For those hoping for a last hurrah, it's the best sign you've got for the time being.

By the way, regarding the preceding warm signal on-going and next week. Firstly, this backdoor wedgy we're getting shouldn't really be considered much of a break. Do to it's locarl spatial scale ...it's really a "dent" considering the NE sector as a whole. Anyway, philosophy aside, the 00z operational Euro appears to be a slightly cooler outlier compared to the mean.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just made this post in the last thread, so I wanted to just copy it over here...

Pretty good support coming together for a -NAO tendency developing by the end of the month.

Anyone notice the insane positive AAM tendencies in the last few days? Combination of strong frictional torque in the tropics fighting the intensified circumglobal subtropical ridging, and recent E Asia mountain torque associated with the MJO wave. This MJO wave should survive well into the western Pacific and toward the dateline ... maybe in a fashion that this same wave didn't quite accomplish back in the middle of February (the phase space projection was a bit of an artifact).

Anyway, it looks like we will be breaking down La Nina characteristics of the pattern by early April. In addition, we will be looking for the final stratospheric warming around that time (notice the warming getting primed up around 1hPa). Throw in the global long wave number four pattern taking over, and we have the recipe for 1) a significant pattern disruption, and 2) horrible model agreement / verification.

Interesting times ahead for sure. And the threat for significant wintry events is far from over

Just made this post in the last thread, so I wanted to just copy it over here...

Pretty good support coming together for a -NAO tendency developing by the end of the month.

Anyone notice the insane positive AAM tendencies in the last few days? Combination of strong frictional torque in the tropics fighting the intensified circumglobal subtropical ridging, and recent E Asia mountain torque associated with the MJO wave. This MJO wave should survive well into the western Pacific and toward the dateline ... maybe in a fashion that this same wave didn't quite accomplish back in the middle of February (the phase space projection was a bit of an artifact).

Anyway, it looks like we will be breaking down La Nina characteristics of the pattern by early April. In addition, we will be looking for the final stratospheric warming around that time (notice the warming getting primed up around 1hPa). Throw in the global long wave number four pattern taking over, and we have the recipe for 1) a significant pattern disruption, and 2) horrible model agreement / verification.

Interesting times ahead for sure. And the threat for significant wintry events is far from over

It's a good point about the MJO, but I'm a little peevish on the MJO "ability" to exert on the field for wave spaces that are Western Pac--> Dateline, do to the deconstructive vs constructive superposition against the background ENSO state.

By the way...in a somewhat unrelated matter, there is a eastward diving Kelvin wave so perhaps the SST distribution changes heading into summer.

Back to the regularly scheduled program ... We saw a whopper 7-8-1 translation appeal zippo on the overal circulation from Hawaii to Greenland; contrasting, we saw a similar magnitude 4-5-6 (on-going), and it's hell hath no fiery like an MJO in Phase 4 on this damn pattern. NCEP also mentioned in an Extended FD about the current ENSO being in constructive wave interference with the Marine subcontinent phase spaces. The idea has merit.

But ...as Scott has adroitly pointed out as of late, as the month ends and we head into April, the seasonally changing R- numbers might flip the script on the MJO correlation some; or at least disrupt it enough to enter some uncertainty.

lets see what ski resorts can hang on thru the end of march....

Hi all, we've been discussing this somewhat in the latter pages of the nearing 50 pager.

There are some subtle yet emerging signals that we may turn colder, winterlike not impossible, at the close of this month and heading into the first week of April. Others have heen been discussing this as well. The overnight teleconnectors from both the CPC and CDC came in with considerablydownward moving EPO numbers, as well as the NAO to some lesser obvious degree. For those hoping for a last hurrah, it's the best sign you've got for the time being.

By the way, regarding the preceding warm signal on-going and next week. Firstly, this backdoor wedgy we're getting shouldn't really be considered much of a break. Do to it's locarl spatial scale ...it's really a "dent" considering the NE sector as a whole. Anyway, philosophy aside, the 00z operational Euro appears to be a slightly cooler outlier compared to the mean.

My question is, at what point do these cold teleconnectors change/flip around with the shortening wavelenths?? also, to what affect does the SE Canada snow-slaughtering airmass of the upcoming week mitigate our chances of getting appreciably cold airmasses into New England come april?

Most of us thought these clouds would burn off late morning and lo and behold they are..nice afternoon for many with temps nearing 60 by mid-late aftenoon.

This MORCH takes no prisoners..even with a backdoor

I think 60 is a stretch. 50s will do it. AWT. Some remote tarmac may come close to 60, but as a whole..downslope inland areas like you and BDL will be in the 50s.

It's this time of year that visible satellite loops are the coolest things in the world.

Bravo, and agreed!

There are some aspects to this that can be really interesting to observe. I'm sick...I know that, but yesterday, going from 67 to 42 in Westborough in about 20 min or less when that BD arrived ranks up in the top 5 snap back events for me, actually. 25F almost immediately... Pretty sick.

That was really amazing.. Now, with the high res sat imagery as you've point out, there are other aspects too -

For these parts, not for downslope land. This is a rather dry airmass. No high dews aloft or at the surface to lock in fog. Fog was never the issue.

Direct question Scott. Is the air mass next week a dry low DP air mass? What would you say DPs are for the max heating days, any wind to speak of? Couple reasons I ask, fire danger down here and potential low temps on clear dry nights radiating off of snow areas in the MTs. Thanks bro

Direct question Scott. Is the air mass next week a dry low DP air mass? What would you say DPs are for the max heating days, any wind to speak of? Couple reasons I ask, fire danger down here and potential low temps on clear dry nights radiating off of snow areas in the MTs. Thanks bro

I think by Wednesday and Thursday dews will creep up a bit, but remain under 60. If there is good news in that dept, I don't see very strong winds at the moment.

My question is, at what point do these cold teleconnectors change/flip around with the shortening wavelenths?? also, to what affect does the SE Canada snow-slaughtering airmass of the upcoming week mitigate our chances of getting appreciably cold airmasses into New England come april?

All good questions... :)

The question as to the wave-lengths in the means (seasonal shrinkage), is uber complex. The problem is ... it's relative to both the daily mean of that differential process, as well as the native hemispheric character ...simultaneously.

Long words for: Some times the correlations will be more or less effectively indicative of tendencies, depending on either of those in situ natures.

The cryosphere would be less concern for impeding warmth for me, because if we find our selves quasi-locked in with some kind of deep layer cT air flow, the source/origin of the dragon's breath isn't contaminated by that.

All good questions...   :)

The question as to the wave-lengths in the means (seasonal shrinkage), is uber complex.  The problem is ... it's relative to both the daily mean of that differential process, as well as the native hemispheric character ...simultaneously.    

Long words for:  Some times the correlations will be more or less effectively indicative of tendencies, depending on either of those in situ natures.

The cryosphere would be less concern for impeding warmth for me, because if we find our selves quasi-locked in with some kind of deep layer cT air flow, the source/origin of the dragon's breath isn't contaminated by that.

Man I hate seasonal shrinkage

Most of us thought these clouds would burn off late morning and lo and behold they are..nice afternoon for many with temps nearing 60 by mid-late aftenoon.

This MORCH takes no prisoners..even with a backdoor

congrats. It's 36F and holding in Plymouth,NH

Archived