Newest Member
    12bet1 net
March 2012 General Discussion

Tropical

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was reports of the northern lights seen near La Crosse yesterday morning

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/news/display_cmsstory.php?wfo=arx&storyid=80406&source=0

Was there another X5 event? Sunspot AR1429 is incredibly active and so large it can be seen with the naked eye(don't try without welding glasses!!!lol) This is the most active sun in some time. The sun is running hotter than normal.

Was there another X5 event? Sunspot AR1429 is incredibly active and so large it can be seen with the naked eye(don't try without welding glasses!!!lol) This is the most active sun in some time.

The one tonight is an M6.

An M8 flare just occurred today and will arrive Monday. http://iswa.gsfc.nasa.gov/downloads/20120310_202000_anim.tim-den.gif

Everything spells out an isolated tornado event, and widespread hail, and damaging winds threat across SEMI. Solid 30W/30H/5T slight risk for the southern 4.

NO, it doesn't. Only the nam is showing what would amount to a something of interest. Even then, with lots of clouds and early day rain the chances of seeing any sun and decent amount of instability is questionable.

The earth is just being scorched as of late. The upper atmosphere will feel the effects of this change.

We're getting close to the peak of the cycle now.

High 58° today was right on target for the projected high. Didn't see one cloud today either.

NO, it doesn't. Only the nam is showing what would amount to a something of interest. Even then, with lots of clouds and early day rain the chances of seeing any sun and decent amount of instability is questionable.

Yeah, right now i think the greatest potential is in IN and OH, and the MI part of it is less favorable.

Yesterdays snow showers surprised me, especially the fact that flakes flew almost all day. (Accum-wise only picked up 0.1" here, which melted quickly after sunrise). My brother took this neat pic on the way to work, the sky was mostly clear than a thunderstorm-like snow cloud came in, and he said it was a 2-minute whiteout with clear sky still visible in the background.

3160-800.jpg

Now...the heat is on...

Huge jump in temps today after the last few days. Made it up to 64 with quite a bit of wind. Have already dropped back 8 degrees.

I'm thinking we'll see our temps in the 80s at least a few times this week. I can't remember the last time I've seen the ground so dry around here this time of year. That plus the crazy looking guidance equals gigantic flaming torch.

Yesterdays snow showers surprised me, especially the fact that flakes flew almost all day. (Accum-wise only picked up 0.1" here, which melted quickly after sunrise). My brother took this neat pic on the way to work, the sky was mostly clear than a thunderstorm-like snow cloud came in, and he said it was a 2-minute whiteout with clear sky still visible in the background.

3160-800.jpg

Now...the heat is on...

Yeah, Friday was a fun day.

Nice part about it too is all the downward mixing from the heavy snow showers was enough to scour out the stratocumulus, so it turned out sunnier than forecasted (at least sunnier than forecasted by DTX).

It felt like Florida with how the weather would clear up with sunshine, the air would rise, then the clouds would billow into huge cumulonimbus clouds like a t'storm and blinding snow would collapse from the clouds (I.E. blinding downpours from t'storms).

It was also interesting how the radar lit up midday after morning sunshine. Cellular heavy snow showers popped up everywhere. Again, reminiscent of Florida convection.

2006-2007 was filled with so many days like Friday too.

It's definitely one of the things I love about Detroit's climo. It's ne of the few places in the country where something like what happened Friday is a regular occurence in Winter.

If the CME hit within the next few hours that'd be optimal, before the aurora max moves off to the west.

That would be nice! Great night out there to view the sky. Not too cold out.

Spaceweather says the approximate time of arrival is 0649 UT, which is almost here.

That would be nice! Great night out there to view the sky. Not too cold out.

Spaceweather says the approximate time of arrival is 0649 UT, which is almost here.

Solar wind and temperature has been slowly increasing in the past hour, might be a sign that the shockwave is nearing considering how close it is to the forecast time. The direction of the IMF is also pointing more out of the sun now than an hour ago.

Detroit has the potential to break some records with regards to the number of consecutive 60*F+ days it can see during this torch (tomorrow is the really conditional day). Looking at all the Springs in which currently hold the record for the highest number of consecutive 60*F+ days in a row (1995, 1998, 1968, 1910, 1945), all of them with the lone exception of 1995 and maybe 1998 gave way to average or below average summers.

Archived