Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2012 General Discussion

Tropical

OT:

Severe Thunder Storm Watches for Hawaii islands? LOL, don't see that a lot!

There is a cut-off low spinning about! Some places have seen golf ball sized hail - and hail covering the ground!

WIDESPREAD STRONG...AND ISOLATED SEVERE...STORMS CONTINUE TO IMPACT MOST ISLANDS AND SURROUNDING WATERS THIS MORNING...WITH AN UNPRECEDENTED HAIL EVENT /HAIL STONES UP TO 3 INCHES/ HAVING ALREADY IMPACTED KANEOHE AND KAILUA EARLY THIS MORNING.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

La Crosse says get ready :)

A big change in the weather pattern is forecast to occur this weekend and last well through next week, resulting in an early start to spring. Look for a blustery southwest wind on Saturday to drive temperatures up into the lower 60s over much of the Upper Mississippi River Valley region, though readings in north central Wisconsin should hold back into the 50s due to snow cover present there. Plan on the southwest wind flow to persist through much of next week, with temperatures possibly reaching into the 70s at times. This warming will eventually melt all the snow over north central Wisconsin.

little more:

09.12Z GFS/ECMWF CONTINUE THE UNSEASONABLY MILD WEATHER PATTERN

THROUGH THE PERIOD. GEFS STILL INDICATING AROUND +2 STANDARD

DEVIATIONS WHICH INDICATES NEAR RECORD VALUES FOR HIGH TEMPERATURES

THROUGH THE PERIOD IN THE 60S/LOWER 70S. MAIN CONCERN/FLY IN THE

OINTMENT WILL BE A COLD FRONTAL PASSAGE ON WEDNESDAY AND THE

POTENTIAL FOR THUNDERSTORMS. ECMWF SHOWING NEAR 1500J/KG OF 0-3KM

MUCAPE WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON ALONG WITH RESPECTABLE AMOUNT OF SHEAR.

WILL THEREFORE HAVE TO KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON THIS FOR SEVERE

POTENTIAL. APPEARS BEST THUNDERSTORM CHANCES WILL BE SOUTHEAST OF A

LINE FROM NECEDAH AND VIROQUA WISCONSIN...TO FAYETTE IA.

HOWEVER...DUE TO POSSIBILITY OF A STRONG CAP/TIMING OF FRONT...KEPT

POPS LOW AT THIS TIME.

There was some accumulating snow imby this morning. Have no idea how much since I was at work (in Vaughan) and it's all melted since. Had about 1-1.5" up there. Any one of my Toronto peeps wanna give me an estimate of how much fell in the city, that'd help a lot.

About 0.5-1'' fell but it did come in heavy bursts at times.

Thanks. I'll plug in about 3/4". We'll see what Pearson/North York/Downtown say about it and I'll adjust accordingly. Looks like enough to push me over 20" imby for the season.

Just went outside boy did it get cold. It was just 66F the other day and we're back to winter. Bring on the warmth next week

The cold is just miserable now after the teaser for next week we had a couple days ago. Wind chill in the upper teens here.

Latest CPC outlook pretty much has the entire GLOV region, save for Kentuky, in the 90% above normal contour.

Severe weather prospects middle of next week could get interesting... and beyond too if this warmth continues. The quiet/warm Winter has me a bit concerned for the severe weather season in the mid mississippi valley/great lakes region. Thought the same last Spring too and was wrong so who knows...but next week may offer a glimpse.

Wednesday looks interesting for severe weather around here. Looking forward to a mild spell, although the lake will dictate how many days next week it will be warm here. Have to watch those lake breezes that show their face in March!

Chilly now: 25°, clear as a bell outside! Hope to see the Aurora later.

Will that trough park itself in the west or propagate eastward later in the month?

Whether is does that or just churns out trough after trough rotating around it, too early to tell, but either way, I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one severe threat before the end of the month, given the temperature regime.

Remember that if that large scale trough decides to take a trip east like some of the models have suggested, we'll probably have as much of a problem as multiple lesser (yet still very strong) shortwaves, if not more.

Whether is does that or just churns out trough after trough rotating around it, too early to tell, but either way, I'd be surprised if there wasn't at least one severe threat before the end of the month, given the temperature regime.

Remember that if that large scale trough decides to take a trip east like some of the models have suggested, we'll probably have as much of a problem as multiple lesser (yet still very strong) shortwaves, if not more.

Ja, getting warm temperatures up into the OV this early is never a good thing. Quick question, would this setup also have potential for the Lower MS Valley and TN Valley?

Archived