• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2012 General Discussion

Tropical

With less than a week to go in February, met spring is right around the corner. Looks like we will start the month with a -PNA, +AO, +NAO.

NAEFS and CPC are torching the eastern 1/2 of the country in their extended outlooks.

I think March continues beating the drum of unseasonable warmth for us and with the increasing solar energy severe weather season should get an early start.

Also with the ENSO trending more toward neutral this spring, the severe weather season should focus itself further north than last year and I think the Upper Midwest / Lakes cashes in on a lot of action. Many fewer cold rains for us this spring.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With less than a week to go in February, met spring is right around the corner. Looks like we will start the month with a -PNA, +AO, +NAO.

NAEFS and CPC are torching the eastern 1/2 of the country in their extended outlooks.

I think March continues beating the drum of unseasonable warmth for us and with the increasing solar energy severe weather season should get an early start.

Also with the ENSO trending more toward neutral this spring, the severe weather season should focus itself further north than last year and I think the Upper Midwest / Lakes cashes in on a lot of action. Many fewer cold rains for us this spring.

One of the few times I agree with you...

It will be interesting to see if the complete lack of frost depth, lack of snow cover and warmer lakes (even several of the inland lake have limited/no ice cover) affect things the first 1/2 of spring (March into mid-April). Warm fronts may have an easier time surging northward. I am so used to the getting hung up in the OV and then completely stalling south of MI. Hopefully severe weather/t-storm outbreaks will have a better chance further north into the GLs this spring. Right now the -PNA, +AO, +NAO combo would suggest the GLs might get into the early spring action (normally IMBY I have to wait until May before getting to the springtime t-storm action).

I still would not be surprised for a major snow storm and/or ice storm this spring. Winters like this seem to have one or two tricks left in them. I know cold is not done with us just yet.

I think it will be a continuation of boring weather with nothing that special.

That is kind of the problem with weather forums. Many times when central OH is active it means MBY is boring. Not that I wish ill will but honestly when central/southern OH are boring it CAN means MBY is active. My best t-storm summers seem to occur when OH/IN are dry (not necessarily drought) and warm. Milwaukee gets it best snowstorms when Detroit is dry slotted to death.

The GFS, for the last few runs, has show a hint of spring with temps probably aproaching 60F for the local area... Something to keep an eye on.

I do think that the insane temp anomalies are about to end and March will be normal if not below normal.

I guess it would take a fairly substantial pattern change to get a below normal. By my untrained non met eye..I just don't see that playing out on any of the guidance.

It will be interesting to see if the complete lack of frost depth, lack of snow cover and warmer lakes (even several of the inland lake have limited/no ice cover) affect things the first 1/2 of spring (March into mid-April). Warm fronts may have an easier time surging northward. I am so used to the getting hung up in the OV and then completely stalling south of MI. Hopefully severe weather/t-storm outbreaks will have a better chance further north into the GLs this spring. Right now the -PNA, +AO, +NAO combo would suggest the GLs might get into the early spring action (normally IMBY I have to wait until May before getting to the springtime t-storm action).

I still would not be surprised for a major snow storm and/or ice storm this spring. Winters like this seem to have one or two tricks left in them. I know cold is not done with us just yet.

Good insight and points. The top 3" of soil here was frost free the other day. Tonight with the snow I'm sure it will frost up again, but it is definitely a shallow layer of frost around here. Springs around here are fickle. I've seen mid 70s during the first week of March or temperatures in the single digits during the day with 6" of snow on the ground. Being near the lake though, you get a fair share of cool, damp/foggy days in early spring. I see April as the beginning of spring having said that.

Sometimes severe weather makes it here in March, but not usually. Will be interesting to see if severe weather season starts farther north!

The GFS, for the last few runs, has show a hint of spring with temps probably aproaching 60F for the local area... Something to keep an eye on.

I do think that the insane temp anomalies are about to end and March will be normal if not below normal.

Wow, 60°, that must be in the long range. I think the Upper Midwest will be near normal for temperatures. This awful winter may have a few tricks up its sleeve yet!

Lets go. Bring on spring. I want put away this garabge ass f*cking winter. the amount of busts, unbelieveable.

instead of saying, "next winter"....I'm just going to move next year to a coldier and snowier place. this is pathetic.

I hope its a March 2010 followed by a April 2010 :D

too p!ssed to think more effectively right now.

Lets go. Bring on spring. I want put away this garabge ass f*cking winter. the amount of busts, unbelieveable.

instead of saying, "next winter"....I'm just going to move next year to a coldier and snowier place. this is pathetic.

I hope its a March 2010 followed by a April 2010 :D

too p!ssed to think more effectively right now.

More snowy places = less job prospects (as a general rule). I've been saying I want to move for a few years now but it's easier said than done.

I want a couple more winter events to solidify the potential of a back-loaded winter, so the severe weather season will hopefully be on hold for a couple more weeks. Hard to believe we're already discussing the potential though. This winter sure flew by.

More snowy places = less job prospects (as a general rule). I've been saying I want to move for a few years now but it's easier said than done.

Interesting statement. That sounds right though. If you can create a job or work a job that involves snow, then your in business!!!

Anyway; March, I think it will have a few surprises. Maybe both severe weather and snow.

As I have alluded to often, a majority of mild winters feature cold springs with big spring snowstorms. Ive been feeling that this year too. Makes you wonder, it seems the lack of frost-depth and snowcover didnt seem to hinder cold blasts in those years. But then you look at some other years like the nations infamous "year without a winter" of 1877-78, the torch continued and in fact accelerated in March and April. This is the much less common scenario when looking at past mild winters, but certainly plausible and has happened more than once.

Then you have things like March 1973...we were torching our way to the warmest March ever (still stands as 5th warmest mar btw) until being slammed with an epic snowstorm on St Paddys day (10" at DTW but I think 18-20" near FNT or MBS). Same in '83, March was torching away after a snowless winter until we were slammed with 6-12" on the first day of spring, another 3-6" storm Apr 17th, and record lows in May (actually had a record low the night I was born :) ). So regardless of how March starts, long ways to go with snowstorm potential.

Archived