Newest Member
    amirah5
March 2012 General Discussion

Tropical

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes and quite cold.

I think were going to see several big weather makers in March with the warm and cold air doing battle.

good. I need 8 inches of snow on the grass and trees by April 15 to collect on all my seasonal contracts? Here is to 60 degree days followed by 2-4 inch backside snows. (grass only.) :lightning::snowing:

Yes and quite cold.

I think were going to see several big weather makers in March with the warm and cold air doing battle.

The differences between the GFS and EURO at hour 240 are astounding. If you live in the Plains/upper midwest, the EURO says its January and the GFS says May lol. (perhaps slight exaggeration, but not much).

6gfs looks very warm... Looks like spring starts next week with some mild air...not sure we can make 60F... Time to get the bike ready.

Things are definetly pointing towards an early spring. At least for awhile up here. GFS continues to show lots of torches followed by very brief cooldowns. The Canadians seem to agree. No access to the extended EURO, but EURO weeklys agree as well if I remember correctly.

Things are definetly pointing towards an early spring. At least for awhile up here. GFS continues to show lots of torches followed by very brief cooldowns. The Canadians seem to agree. No access to the extended EURO, but EURO weeklys agree as well if I remember correctly.

The Euro weeklies were posted by tropical so u can look back on them in this thread.

The joke of a winter continues in the Midwest. The below stats are for Chicago (ORD), but I'm sure other locations are similar.

Number of Days with a low temp < 16F (seasonal totals), 1959-present (ORD)

Most

1. 70 (1977-78)

2. 69 (1976-77)

3. 59 (1962-63)

4. 59 (1964-65)

5. 58 (1981-82)

Fewest

1. 9 (2011-12)

2. 12 (1997-98)

3. 18 (1986-87)

4. 22 (1998-99)

5. 22 (2001-02)

Turtle-

I hear you on that...my God are these days depressing. Only hope is next week when spring shows its head. Hopefully the college girls are out in full force in skimpy clothing.

I've noticed that S Florida hasn't had winter this year...i swear every day I've looked its been above 80F...

I think it might've gone down to the 40s only a handful of times at my parent's place. Definitely no sub-40 temps in the southeast coast metropolitan areas. Not that uncommon to have winters like that though.

Did it initialize wrong? At work can't check it.

For such a long range prog, proper initialization isn't really going to be a major factor, unless it's really egregious. And from the superficial look I took at the 0hr prog, no, it initialized fine.

It's just not being really consistent with how it handles the large scale pattern beyond 168. We've gone from full latitude C US trough, to progressive/warm GFS like pattern, to a major cutoff low, all in the space of three runs.

Archived