Newest Member
    amirah5
March 2012 General Discussion

Tropical

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cant give up yet, but I am close.

Towel is more than thrown on getting sustained winter. It has been folded and has sat in the linen closet since last March in fact. But as for simply getting a snowfall or even snowstorm...long, long way to go for anyone N of I80, regardless of how warm/cold/whatever the extended shows.

Long range GFS (FWIW) continues to suggest that we kiss winter goodbye after this week, on a large scale basis.

It'll probably all turn out to be (on the GFS and EURO) a crappy zonal split flow when it arrives (like we've seen since November), featuring more boring weather and temps that are not too extreme either way (warm or cold).

That trough in the west coast on the GFS does seem suspect, but so does the strength of the high pressure center and intensity of the cold air on the EURO.

After watching the current weather with the winter storm to my north and the devastating severe to my south, I haven't been looking ahead too much. What a difference between the GFS vs. the Euro ops, and apparently quite a spread within the models' ensembles for late next week. It looks like Tropical's buying into the Euro, while Sparty is hugging the GFS. What a turn of events. :violin:

After watching the current weather with the winter storm to my north and the devastating severe to my south, I haven't been looking ahead too much. What a difference between the GFS vs. the Euro ops, and apparently quite a spread within the models' ensembles for late next week. It looks like Tropical's buying into the Euro, while Sparty is hugging the GFS. What a turn of events. :violin:

Yup. Ready for the warmth not going to hide from it. Not really hugging the GFS or the Euro but pleased to see that the seasons are changing. I'm personally ready for endless outdoor activities and enjoying my cottage this Summer.

Woke up to a cloudy, snow covered landscape ~ 27°. Wind is whipping a bit. Sounds like a dusting of snow tonight with the cold front moving on south. Looks like a thin band of moderate snowfall will makes it's way south through WI, MI, and ON this evening.

The warmup next weeks keeps getting trimmed back. Tuesday and Wednesday are supposed to be 50° at most.

A couple of GEFS members try to ride the closed srn stream low late next week along the polar boundary, creating a winter storm. A few others at least have the front stall out and try to spit out some modest anafrontal precip, some of it wintry.

Overall, the pattern still looks mighty crappy, but at least we're starting to see some glimmers of hope.

A couple of GEFS members try to ride the closed srn stream low late next week along the polar boundary, creating a winter storm. A few others at least have the front stall out and try to spit out some modest anafrontal precip, some of it wintry.

Overall, the pattern still looks mighty crappy, but at least we're starting to see some glimmers of hope.

I'm not sure if you got to see it or not but the 00z euro showed a good snowstorm for us next weekend. 12z GGEM also looked very interesting. We'll see what happens!

I'm not sure if you got to see it or not but the 00z euro showed a good snowstorm for us next weekend. 12z GGEM also looked very interesting. We'll see what happens!

Yeah, nice anafrontal. 12z run is further east though. Looks mostly cold and dry after the initial cf passes. But trying to pin down exactly what's going to happen is impossible at this time. Too many minor phasing/interaction issues are going to make major sensible wx differences.

But at least it's something to keep an eye on.

The way the EURO is bringing things in toward next weekend could be interesting. Wouldn't take much to have another major storm like this weekend.

Archived