• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
March 2012 General Discussion

Tropical

GFS has the entire storm between noon and 6 pm pretty much. Gonna be fast and furious.

Biggest problem I see is surface temps, they might be above freezing for parts of the storm which would ruin accumulations a bit.

timing and surface temps hurt and the best cold air pulls in when it's east of the area, but i do like the potential for a thin stripe of respectable accums in WI

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

timing and surface temps hurt and the best cold air pulls in when it's east of the area, but i do like the potential for a thin stripe of respectable accums in WI

Yeah, I think there'll be a 6"+ jackpot under the current scenario. The warm sfc temps will only be an issue until the initial layer of snow gets put down.

This situation is very dynamic though and I'd be surprised if the forecast didn't change.

GFS has the entire storm between noon and 6 pm pretty much. Gonna be fast and furious.

Biggest problem I see is surface temps, they might be above freezing for parts of the storm which would ruin accumulations a bit.

That should keep thing from being widespread 10"+ totals. Many storms have a 4-6 hour period in which the heaviest snow falls. With this one you just wouldn't have the 2-4" 6 hour beginning and the 2-4" 6 hour ending. Instead you just get the 6 hour heart of the storm 4-8" which is the best part anyway.

I do wonder how much the t-storm action with this system will coming into play feeding or disrupting the snow field.

That should keep thing from being widespread 10"+ totals. Many storms have a 4-6 hour period in which the heaviest snow falls. With this one you just wouldn't have the 2-4" 6 hour beginning and the 2-4" 6 hour ending. Instead you just get the 6 hour heart of the storm 4-8" which is the best part anyway.

I do wonder how much the t-storm action with this system will coming into play feeding or disrupting the snow field.

depends how they line up, given that they may have a decent west/east component (as opposed to a N/S line) it will probably hurt.

depends how they line up, given that they may have a decent west/east component (as opposed to a N/S line) it will probably hurt.

Plus they are suppose to be fast movers too. Getting in on the T-storm action is the only thing I am hoping for. Located in SEMI it is only hope at this point.

Turtle-

I hear you on that...my God are these days depressing. Only hope is next week when spring shows its head. Hopefully the college girls are out in full force in skimpy clothing.

I've noticed that S Florida hasn't had winter this year...i swear every day I've looked its been above 80F...

You are making miss my Ball State days. ;):sizzle:

Why wont the storm tracks just run 200miles south for a week or so ?? Seems we are always on the warm side of the low, all winter long. If not on the south side of the low then in a dry slot. I like the thought of spring around the corner. But something seems too early to call winter over. Why??? I haven't heard any frogs chirping...... Sap is not moving in the maple tree yet also.

Yeah. Still shows torch for us, but as you said...cold is lurking. 00z euro on the other hand....brings down the arctic hounds next weekend. Oh, these longrange models!

This entire winter, anything past 48 hours was sketchy! 60° here, next Tuesday. Probably not with snow likely on the ground. Plus there is always the lake breeze factor.

Why wont the storm tracks just run 200miles south for a week or so ?? Seems we are always on the warm side of the low, all winter long. If not on the south side of the low then in a dry slot. I like the thought of spring around the corner. But something seems too early to call winter over. Why??? I haven't heard any frogs chirping...... Sap is not moving in the maple tree yet also.

I hate to stray off topic but don't the maples get going in the end of March early April? I though u need a torch followed by cold to get those suckers flowing. Maple syrup FTW

Yeah. Still shows torch for us, but as you said...cold is lurking. 00z euro on the other hand....brings down the arctic hounds next weekend. Oh, these longrange models!

Almost very close to say these words but living in Michigan you can have temps in the 80's and a 10" snow event the same week. So Im not going to truly say it but at this point Im very close to pulling the...................WINTER IS OVER card for SEMI

Almost very close to say these words but living in Michigan you can have temps in the 80's and a 10" snow event the same week. So Im not going to truly say it but at this point Im very close to pulling the...................WINTER IS OVER card for SEMI

Last April was a prime example. But any chances of a sustained winter pattern have come and gone. We are in line for 2-4 inches of slop only to melt by 3pm. Judging lightly by the most recent guidance it appears the next 5-7 days starting next week are a no show for any wintery weather. That brings u close to mid March.

EURO looks chilly next friday and saturday but the heat is already building to the west it looks like on weather underground beyong that.

Euro past D5-6 is always subject to change. If your holding out for cold you might have to wait or take a weeklong Alaska vacation.

Archived