joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2012 General Discussion

Tropical

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the GFS is right the trees and flowers will start going into summer mode I think. If we get an April snowstorm we'll have a brown summer since everything will get frostbite.

We have had warm-ups and cold snaps in the past. Ive seen budded and leafed trees in April covered with cement (2004 or 2005?? ) It causes no damage. The natural vegitation up this way is hardy, its genticaly designed too take a beating and survive a Spring arctic shot.

A snowstorm is almost a saving grace for the vegitation becasue the snow can act as a insulator against raging cold winds.

We have had warm-ups and cold snaps in the past. Ive seen budded and leafed trees in April covered with cement (2004 or 2005?? ) It causes no damage. The natural vegitation up this way is hardy, its genticaly designed too take a beating and survive a Spring arctic shot.

A snowstorm is almost a saving grace for the vegitation becasue the snow can act as a insulator against raging cold winds.

Exactly. I'd worry more if there was a cold snap without the snow. Plants that do sustain damage, usually come back after several weeks, but they come back in a weakened state. Especially the types of plants that DLL mentioned above. Hopefully no crops will go in until the usual times.

Good points, I'm still getting used to the northern fauna. Some plants in Florida die from temperatures below 45 °F.

Winds are blowing hard here tonite. Crap blowing around all over outside...

I won' t be worried about any plants unless they do actually flower. I'm sure the buds will start swelling after next week, but hopefully they won't advance too far. I grow plums, peaches, apricots, pears, apples, cherries, and a bunch of other stuff. I'd worry most about the apricots. They seem to flower not long after the frost leaves the ground, given the temps are warm enough.

So, the warmest spring since 2004. I remember that spring; pretty nice, then the summer turned out cool and wet!

La Nina is almost gone, neutral conditions are forecast by late April.

Also the most active tornado season on record.

The May outbreak sequence (Ending on the two day Memorial Day outbreak) had 4 out of 8 days that went high risk.

Also the most active tornado season on record.

The May outbreak sequence (Ending on the two day Memorial Day outbreak) had 4 out of 8 days that went high risk.

I looked at my records from '04. March wasn't all that mild here. Had a few 70s, but averaged about 46°. In May there was like 7 severe thunderstorm warnings and one tornado warning here!

I know :( Probably will be something chase worthy again in the next couple weeks though. Chasing nado's kinda reminds me of bow hunting mature whitetails. Everything just has to come together perfectly to seal the deal. And even when a chase or hunt doesn't work out its still a rush being out there.

bowme speaking the truth with them deep thoughts.

I looked at my records from '04. March wasn't all that mild here. Had a few 70s, but averaged about 46°. In May there was like 7 severe thunderstorm warnings and one tornado warning here!

Yeah, the end of that month was crazy for svr wx. Then you had events like the Roanoke, IL Tornado in July, the Harper, KS tornado event on May 12th and the Utica, IL tornado in April. Pretty much every month in the year had above average tornadic activity. Considering we already have more fatalities this year than that entire year...that may not bode well.

mild temps and chasing opportunities in march is always welcome.

Big long wave troughs/cut offs/strong shortwaves + a torch in the Central/Eastern portion of the country = me wishing I could get out there at some point...

Then again this svr season could go on for awhile in the GL/OV given that screaming Pac Jet.

Wisconsin

Those snow showers are moving about 100mph... they went through here not that long ago. Wind has finally backed off some... Cold air seeping in from the NW nowl..around freezing.

No wonder I was surprised by them; MKX didn't mention any possibility of precip, and we have at least a dusting now with some left to go.

Ground is actually dusting up a bit here!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: Flakes are monstrous too! :wub:

Lol MKX has nothing in their point and clicks..

Man some crazy weather the past few days for sure.. From a nice snow pack to a mega blow torch/60's to a nice dusting of snow tonight!

Cool! Looks like some pretty intense returns in those bands! :snowing:

For anyone interested in the northern lights. They are advancing into the Lake Superior region right now. Not sure if we have members from that far north though... Local news mentioned they may be seen into northern IL tonight.

http://helios.swpc.noaa.gov/ovation/

Was out for a few hrs earlier this evening. When the Bz dropped down to -15 I thought we had a good shot, but I captured nothing. Got bored and tried taking some exposures of my truck in the moonlight but they turned out grainy/crappy lol.

Jesus look at that warm sector ahead of that system in the 9-10 day period on the 00z GFS, might be one of the largest I have ever seen in March in terms of the extent of 50+ dewpoints.

And then the next systems as well have huge warm sectors, btw.

Wow to the GFS.

582+dm heights to greet us around the first day of spring...

We're easily looking at widespread upper 70s and low 80s with those type of heights (and some pretty rapid budding/blooming).

However, while on one hand the models tend to overdue the strength and duraation of these SE ridges, they also terribly underdo the WAA with these early season warm ups.

It will certainly be an interesting rest of the month.

Snow coming down very nicely as one last batch moves through..

Solid coating of snow :thumbsup:

Might this be the last snow of the season? We'll see..

I'm watching the remnants of the those bands moving SE from the Burlington area. Maybe I'll get to have a snow shower tonight too! Right now it is 36° and quite windy.

...Northern lights have slid a little further south. Members in Ottawa & U.P. of MI may be able to see them about now.

Archived