• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 2012 General Discussion

Tropical

We may be the same temp as Miami this week...it wouldn't surprise me....they'll most likely have us beat in the dew dept.

Turtle will be crying...thinking he is on South Beach, yet when he opens his eyes he'll be surrounded by Wisconsinites and their white pasty pale March skin :flood:

Don't worry thought Turtle, they tan up fast in these parts...

My banana hammock will be coming out this week.

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tropical will like this:

ON WEDNESDAY...WINDS

TURN SOUTHWEST AHEAD OF THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEMS COLD FRONT

CROSSING MINNESOTA. THERE ARE INDICATIONS FROM THE 12.12Z NAM/ECMWF

THAT 850MB TEMPS COULD EVEN RISE TO 16C OVER NORTHEAST IOWA...ALMOST

3 STANDARD DEVIATIONS ABOVE NORMAL. WITH PLENTY OF SUN AND A WARM

START...TEMPERATURES SHOULD EASILY CLIMB INTO THE 70S. AN 80F

READING MAY EVEN OCCUR (NOTE 81F HIGH FOR SPARTA OFF MET GUIDANCE).

DEWPOINTS ARE ALSO EXPECTED TO CLIMB INTO THE 50S WITH A GOOD FETCH

COMING OUT OF THE GULF OF MEXICO. THE COMBINATION OF THE

UNPRECEDENTED WARMTH AND DEWPOINTS WILL LIKELY LEAD TO CUMULUS

DEVELOPMENT...MAKING IT FEEL MORE LIKE LATE SPRING THAN MID MARCH.

NAM has 4000 j/kg of SBCAPE and 65 dews in IA on Weds.

That's just sick. Usually have a hard time getting to that level until late April/early May this far north.

Glad I didn't head out chasing today, as I would have busted badly.

Sun finally out here after being in the clouds most the day. Managed to bump up into the low 60s.

LOT regarding Weds.

WEDNESDAY IS CONTINUING TO LOOK ANOMALOUSLY WARM WITH EVEN DEEPER

MIXING AND A STRONGER SOUTHWEST FLOW. HAVE BLENDED THE GOING

FORECAST WITH THE NAM PREDICTED MIXING HEIGHT AND THE BETTER

PERFORMING BIAS-CORRECTED MODELS WITHIN THE WARM PAST WEEK.

CERTAINLY LOOKS LIKE ALL COMMUNITIES WILL BE NEAR IF NOT TOP 80

DEGREES.

Aren't like 4 of the top snowiest winters in DTW during the 2000's?It looks almost 100% unlikely we have no more sub 45 degree days in March this year. What on earth is screwing up the jet so bad? Whatever it is... Stop right around Oct 15th please.

5 of the top 20 are from the past decade (actually 5 of the top 13). Records span 132 years! We certainly were due for a stinker.

#4 - 2007-08

#5 - 2010-11

#9 - 2008-09

#10 - 2004-05

#13 - 2002-03

I agree about no sub-45 degree highs in March, so much for my call of a big March snowstorm (hey cant win em all, I almost nailed Feb 2011s snowmageddon, with the exception of not going snowy enough). Although Im still wondering if all that arctic sea ice building up has something to say about a winter blast in April.

It's worth remembering that the GFS is known to be totally wrong a week out. This seems like infinite warmth now but it could change fast. Arctic sea ice has been increasing quite a bit at the pole so maybe some cold air that's building up could still surprise us.

sfctmpmer_07a-4.gif?t=1331600314

Not really seeing that cold building up.

sfctmpmer_01a-13.gif?t=1331600372

I suppose it has cooled off a bit from the weekend when the pole torched from side to side.

ssm_depth-14.png?t=1331600532

We are also going to lose all of that snow from this as well which would help cool things down in the future.

St Louis made it to 84. Wow.

84/58/71 = +26F. For our latitude that is extremely impressive.

Wednesday has 20C 925mb temps here by afternoon, we might hit 86-87F.

Thursday could also be in the mid 80s if it doesn't rain.

Before today we were at 48.4F for the month, which was 5.7F above normal.

The record monthly average here is 57F for March set 101 years ago. I am not sure if we will attain that, but I am pretty sure we will pass it for a while, we might even reach 60F for a day or two if we really get 10 days+ of 60F+ average days.

I don't expect significant March snows/arctic outbreaks on a regular basis at this latitude but we've sure had some weak finishes to winter around here lately.

I think the last one was 2008. Of course that whole month felt like every other month that winter, lol! Beginning of March 2007 was kinda nippy around here.

5 of the top 20 are from the past decade (actually 5 of the top 13). Records span 132 years! We certainly were due for a stinker.

#4 - 2007-08

#5 - 2010-11

#9 - 2008-09

#10 - 2004-05

#13 - 2002-03

I agree about no sub-45 degree highs in March, so much for my call of a big March snowstorm (hey cant win em all, I almost nailed Feb 2011s snowmageddon, with the exception of not going snowy enough). Although Im still wondering if all that arctic sea ice building up has something to say about a winter blast in April.

Ahh no worries...Sunspot AR1429 will help melt that and heat up the northern hemisphere. The fun has just started. Long live the Solar Maxium and another dustbowl.

Ahh no worries...Sunspot AR1429 will help melt that and heat up the northern hemisphere. The fun has just started. Long live the Solar Maxium and another dustbowl.

Sunspot 1429 is rotating away now. Things are calming down for the time being. I think the solar activity did help keep the jet stream ripping across to the north, which bottled most of the cold air up there. La Nina helped play a factor as well probably.

That high of 78 on Wednesday is going to be crazy. Had no choice but to turn on the AC already with temps in the 50s. Too humid just to open the windows.

So there's literally no temperature range that does not require you to turn on heat/AC... come on. How did you ever survive Florida?

I know that I am :deadhorse: , but I am 54 years old and have lived here all of my life and I've never seen anything even CLOSE to the temps being forecast for mid March. The LOWEST high temp predicted here for the next 7 days is 71 and the next lowest high predicted is 75.

The mushrooms could be up a month early!!

post-830-0-79885200-1331635162.jpg

I know that I am :deadhorse: , but I am 54 years old and have lived here all of my life and I've never seen anything even CLOSE to the temps being forecast for mid March. The LOWEST high temp predicted here for the next 7 days is 71 and the next lowest high predicted is 75.

The mushrooms could be up a month early!!

post-830-0-79885200-1331635162.jpg

Those are some monster morels.

Sunspot 1429 is rotating away now. Things are calming down for the time being. I think the solar activity did help keep the jet stream ripping across to the north, which bottled most of the cold air up there. La Nina helped play a factor as well probably.

That sunspot was amazing in so many ways. The active sun very well has caused last Summers heat and Winters vacation. It's still very active so I wonder if the trend continues.

Archived