amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
March 2012 General Discussion

Tropical

• Replies 978
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what could stop ORD from having 6 straight days of 70 degree or higher for the first time in March, ever.

Was looking at those stats last night at WGN. Skilling though forecasting 70+ from wed-monday

Shouldn't cool off too much Wed night, so they should hit 70 before the front gets to ORD.

Screw it i'm all in.. Pulling for a 90 next week !!! :sizzle:

Call me crazy but I think we can break 90 in spots.. If not by you, somewhere very close by..

This map Just looks epic epic epic epically warm.. 10 C by the Hudson Bay?!?!?!?! Crazy stuff if it verifies..

Certainly possible.. As cyclone posted above he saw mid 80's in late March a while back in the 80's, No reason why somewhere further south couldn't touch 90 with such an epic epic torch signal... Say around Cairo, STL, KC etc...

90...seriously?

Looks like i'll be fairly close... :D Can't wait to see what tomorrow's obs will be like :sizzle:

St Louis made it to 84. Wow.

what could stop ORD from having 6 straight days of 70 degree or higher for the first time in March, ever.

Was looking at those stats last night at WGN. Skilling though forecasting 70+ from wed-monday

you can probably continue 70+ potential through at least next Wed.

some records/benchmarks to track from LOT

NORMAL NUMBER OF 70 DEGREE DAYS IN MARCH FOR BOTH CHICAGO AND

ROCKFORD IS 1.2.

RECORD NUMBER OF DAYS WITH MAX TEMP 70 OR ABOVE IN MARCH

CHICAGO 9 IN 1945...6 IN 1910 AND 1907.

ROCKFORD 11 IN 1910...7 IN 1945.

RECORD FOR CONSECUTIVE 70 DEGREE DAYS IN MARCH

CHICAGO...5 FROM MARCH 12-16 1995.

ROCKFORD...9 MARCH 23-31 1910.

What you are forgetting or might not know for some reason the snow depth measurement is at 7AM on the climate reports. So this was before the high of 52 and the heavy rain yesterday. Wait for tonights report to find out the snow depth at 7AM this morning.

Nope, it was 16" yesterday morning and now 14" this morning:

http://www.nws.noaa....=climate#RTPAPX

Earlier days:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/view/prodsByState.php?state=mi&prodtype=climate#CF6HTL

A very stubborn snow pack. But as I said, the web cams from the area do not confirm that much snow. This must be an isolated spot in a drift in the woods.

In the NE sub-forum, one of the mets mentioned some ridging in AK in the Euro weeklies in week 3...but obviously it's pretty far out there.

I see a repositioning of the ridge (or a new ridge) further west on the GFS out towards the Rockies later on. Might allow for some more typical temperatures for the NE quadrant of the US.

some records/benchmarks to track from LOT

NORMAL NUMBER OF 70 DEGREE DAYS IN MARCH FOR BOTH CHICAGO AND

ROCKFORD IS 1.2.

RECORD NUMBER OF DAYS WITH MAX TEMP 70 OR ABOVE IN MARCH

CHICAGO 9 IN 1945...6 IN 1910 AND 1907.

ROCKFORD 11 IN 1910...7 IN 1945.

RECORD FOR CONSECUTIVE 70 DEGREE DAYS IN MARCH

CHICAGO...5 FROM MARCH 12-16 1995.

ROCKFORD...9 MARCH 23-31 1910.

1995 was a brutal summer. Wonder if this might be a good indicator :)

Quite the Omega block on the ECMWF, lol.

post-6644-0-17999800-1331654420.gif

This March may beat 1945 and 1946 in terms of warmth if this continues unless the last 3-6 days are unbelievably cold to bring down the anomalies a bit. Interestingly enough, both the summers of 1945 and 1946 were cooler and perhaps wetter than normal as well.

Well I dont mind this warmth. Should enlighten my mood after this crappy Winter, lol.

What was interesting about 1946 when looking at the weather records is the lowest temperature at night in my area was 30 before the threat of frost ended, that is not cold enough to cause major problems.

If we don't make 80 tomorrow, it looks like we have another (and probably better) shot at it on Thursday given a warmer start and slightly warmer thermal profiles aloft.

The car was reading 77 on the north side of 465 today. FWIW.

Sent from my ADR6400L

Nope, it was 16" yesterday morning and now 14" this morning:

http://www.nws.noaa....=climate#RTPAPX

Earlier days:

http://www.nws.noaa....=climate#CF6HTL

A very stubborn snow pack. But as I said, the web cams from the area do not confirm that much snow. This must be an isolated spot in a drift in the woods.

Still makes sense to me now that you posted the exact data set you were looking at. Regardless as this is a pointless debate as neither of us live there and confirm this data accuracy. Being an approved climo reporting site I have to believe it is pretty accurate. Then again the DTX report has White Lake MI at 0" of precip yesterday, so it could all just be a cruel joke. Whatever.

FWIW...

The 4km NAM has 2M temps around 80F for Chicago before the "pneumonia front" hits Thurs afternoon.

My local forecast has low 60s for Thursday now and thunderstorms. 60s will be in the AM I'm sure. A lot of times with those fronts, fog rolls in as well.

Wow.

From DVN

LITTLE CHANGE IS INDICATED SUNDAY THROUGH TUESDAY...WITH EVEN WARMER

TEMPERATURES POSSIBLE EARLY NEXT WEEK. HIGHS MAY EXCEED 80 BY

TUESDAY AS THE UPPER LEVEL FLOW BECOMES NEARLY MERIDIONAL FROM THE

SOUTH BETWEEN A BUILDING UPPER RIDGE OVER THE OHIO VALLEY AND

DEEPENING LOW OVER THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN ROCKIES.

Somebody near San Diego on another forum was saying they may be near freezing??? Highs in the 40Fs?

When this baby flips, watch out! We should lose most snowcover across Canada, and with the day length we should be able to moderate any really cold air mass before it gets over my apricots trees :)

I had a wasp on my bike today, some a big horse fly and my tulips are popping.

Point for here is just unreal...

Next 7 days (wed-tue)....

78/79/76/74/73/76/76. Think we'll hit 80 tomorrow and Thursday actually, but we'll see.

Nothing like closing the windows and kicking the AC on before St Pats day....

Bikinis are coming out of hibernation around campus, glorious day.

Amen. We are being compensated for the ****ty winter.

Archived