12bet1 net
February 2012 General Discussion Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

stronger, low goes from OAX-DSM-DBQ.

something to watch for now I guess.

I think this will be the first (read probably only) chance for a widespread winter storm/blizzard this winter in the Upper Midwest/Western Great Lakes. We've had moderate snow events, even thread the needle events, but this is looking like your typical blizzard for someone this far out (probably NW of here).

I think this will be the first (read probably only) chance for a widespread winter storm/blizzard this winter in the Upper Midwest/Western Great Lakes. We've had moderate snow events, even thread the needle events, but this is looking like your typical blizzard for someone this far out (probably NW of here).

I wouldn't say that just yet but its out there in model land. Give it a few days and we'll see if its still there.

Nice..

Build that Snowpack for those March Arctic Blasts. :thumbsup:

I have been saying all along that mild winters are notorious for having cold and often snowy Marches. But that has all been heavily based off of climo/past winters. If that cold air shown in Canada in the extended is real, and we finally build a snowpack in the northern tier that we should have had all along....then my confidence only increases tenfold that March will be a wintry month here. :thumbsup:

All I know is that I get some enjoyment looking at fantasy runs of the GFS that show a good snowstorm or svr wx situation way too far out to be any more meaningful than the possibility of a system. But sooner or later something of some sort will come to pass.

In essence the 18z GFS today at 384 hrs :lol:

Heres a staggering stat. Duluth, MN averages 102 days per year with 5"+ snowdepth, and in 2010-11 that number was 129 days. The total so far in 2011-12? ZERO days (peak depth 4").

Yes it has been sad up this way, probably wont be a record low snow year though as that is only 7" away and we look to get snow tonight plus you can get snow into May so a ways to go yet.

I'm not sure how good the upcoming pattern will be for winter opportunities outside of the northern tier. 1) we are approaching March and 2) the indices aren't looking very favorable. But at least it looks like we will have cold air lurking

What do you consider the cutoff (ie northern tier). North of I80? northern MN/WI/MI?

I know we are approaching March but we can have some pretty cold, snowy Marches here...and outside of 2008 that hasnt been too common as of late. Naturally I am ready lol!

What do you consider the cutoff (ie northern tier). North of I80? northern MN/WI/MI?

I know we are approaching March but we can have some pretty cold, snowy Marches here...and outside of 2008 that hasnt been too common as of late. Naturally I am ready lol!

North of I-80 I guess. Not that it can't snow south of there...just think odds are better farther north.

I definitely think our opportunity to salvage winter is during the next 10 days. March, if you believe Don S, and there's no reason you shouldn't, is going to be rough. Basically all the indicies (PNA, AO, MJO) turn ugly.

I definitely think our opportunity to salvage winter is during the next 10 days. March, if you believe Don S, and there's no reason you shouldn't, is going to be rough. Basically all the indicies (PNA, AO, MJO) turn ugly.

I saw that hes going for a warmer than normal March. Hope hes wrong, but hes been good lately. Can always sneak a snowstorm in til well into April, regardless of the overall temp trend...so still hoping my March snowstorm prediction comes true. Ive come to the realization that Feb 10-15 may have been our best week of the winter...but again, our best storm, even if it melts in 2 days, could still be on the horizon. Fingers crossed.

Side note, I was out near the mall last night and am very impressed with the snow mountains at the mall still. You would THINK we had an awesome winter based on them lol.

Robin is singing this AM! April like morning and march like day for ice fishing and no real threats of accumulating snow in the forecast through the end of Feb - just might win that <20" snow bet yet :thumbsup: Hopefully Donny Baseball keeps batting 1.000 and the lakes are ice free for the second half of march in the south to get on some hot yummy perch fishing.

Almost time to stick a fork in it down here in the Mid Atlantic of the Midwest and concede the board over to the severe weenie wankers that keep us all safe as can be for 8 months.

Robin is singing this AM! April like morning and march like day for ice fishing and no real threats of accumulating snow in the forecast through the end of Feb - just might win that <20" snow bet yet :thumbsup: Hopefully Donny Baseball keeps batting 1.000 and the lakes are ice free for the second half of march in the south to get on some hot yummy perch fishing.

Almost time to stick a fork in it down here in the Mid Atlantic of the Midwest and concede the board over to the severe weenie wankers that keep us all safe as can be for 8 months.

This weekends threat is even starting to look not so good back towards La Crosse. Also noted that the 0z GFS looked much milder in the long range than in previous runs. Keeps the cold locked up into Canada.

Ha.

The onslaught of pacific air continues. I can't remember such a winter where the pacific really stole the show( all season ). Storm potentials all seem to run into the same problems of a lack of real arctic air. The 23rd potential looks like it could go either way. Other than that it's no shock that the Pattern keeps on trucking well into march. If this pattern continues into spring and summer we are going to roast like no other . Again.

BTW. " The Mid Alantic of the mid-west" priceless!!!

Archived