mowsee447
    Newest Member
    mowsee447
February 2012 General Discussion Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Cold, wet, raw day on tap! Heard about another person that ventured out on the ice today in the area, and fell through! Are people not noticing the mild winter?

Couple days ago 3 kids playing hockey went in. Very sad, 2 didn't make it. Today a guy was riding his bike across the ice in Streamwood, but he made it out.

Saw a couple guys ice fishing a good 300 feet out on a small lake on Sunday near Grayslake, IL... You wouldn't catch me out there! I'll walk on a frozen lake, but I want to know it has been below freezing for an extended period of time!

They aren't... I saw 30 guys ice fishing on BLACK ice right next to open water. Depth in that area can be 20ft or deeper and there is some current.

When I was young and stupid, my buddies and I went ice fishing in late March (could have even been early April) on a back pocket that still held "ice"...it was more or less 5 inches of slush and a thin layer of crust that was holding us up. Lets just say we didn't need an ice auger..you would just take your boot and stomp a hole to fish out of. I've also fished on ice chunks below the dam, jumping from one chunk to the next and fishing through the cracks for sauger/walleyes... Never catch me doing any of that today.

Some peeks of sun, bust mostly clouds. mid 30fs...

They aren't... I saw 30 guys ice fishing on BLACK ice right next to open water. Depth in that area can be 20ft or deeper and there is some current.

When I was young and stupid, my buddies and I went ice fishing in late March (could have even been early April) on a back pocket that still held "ice"...it was more or less 5 inches of slush and a thin layer of crust that was holding us up. Lets just say we didn't need an ice auger..you would just take your boot and stomp a hole to fish out of. I've also fished on ice chunks below the dam, jumping from one chunk to the next and fishing through the cracks for sauger/walleyes... Never catch me doing any of that today.

Some peeks of sun, bust mostly clouds. mid 30fs...

Ice fishing camps have been going strong on Lake Mendota even on the warmest sunny days where you get huge meltwater ponds and ice fissures. Definitely less people than the last couple years though.

I'm too scared to walk on the ice even when it is fairly strong, if I hear one crack I run back to shore. The whole standing on ice thing is not natural to me.

lol.

there were 2-3 storms over or at 12" in 2007-08. I still remember that "mega" storm the models were forecasting for early Feb 09. In the end only 3-4" fell, LOL.

Then before 2007-08, you'd have to back to Jan 04 where we had that LES storm.

We're going way OT in that storm thread so I'm continuing this discussion here.

I'll give you 2 for 2007-08. Feb 6 was the widespread foot plus storm. December 15-16, 2007 had a foot plus down by the lake and in Scarborough but only 8-9" towards the west end of the city. March 2008 blizzard was the opposite, 10-12" down in the city and east side, 12-16" out in the western and northern 'burbs.

We're going way OT in that storm thread so I'm continuing this discussion here.

I'll give you 2 for 2007-08. Feb 6 was the widespread foot plus storm. December 15-16, 2007 had a foot plus down by the lake and in Scarborough but only 8-9" towards the west end of the city. March 2008 blizzard was the opposite, 10-12" down in the city and east side, 12-16" out in the western and northern 'burbs.

Hmm.....I got just under 12" with that Dec 2007 storm, around 10-11" but the other two storms were over 12". That March 08 blizzard was nearly 16" in my area.

2007-08 was a one for the record books at most stations (not downtown tho) IMO.

I'd be happy if we saw like 2-3 storms within 6-12" in a Winter season.....even if we dont see a 12"+ snowstorm.

Hmm.....I got just under 12" with that Dec 2007 storm, around 10-11" but the other two storms were over 12". That March 08 blizzard was nearly 16" in my area.

2007-08 was a one for the record books at most stations (not downtown tho) IMO.

I'd be happy if we saw like 2-3 storms within 6-12" in a Winter season.....even if we dont see a 12"+ snowstorm.

I do remember hearing close to 16" in the Woodbridge area. I think that may have been in the GWS issued by EC. If it wasn't for that damn dryslot poking in for a couple of hours, I would have had a similar amount, rather that 11" and some change.

It's funny how perspectives can changes. I was so disappointed to only get 8.9" from the December 2007 storm. You plop that down today and I'm doing naked cartwheels in it. That's how snow starved me is.

I do remember hearing close to 16" in the Woodbridge area. I think that may have been in the GWS issued by EC. If it wasn't for that damn dryslot poking in for a couple of hours, I would have had a similar amount, rather that 11" and some change.

It's funny how perspectives can changes. I was so disappointed to only get 8.9" from the December 2007 storm. You plop that down today and I'm doing naked cartwheels in it. That's how snow starved me is.

Oh. I thought you got atleast 10" with that Dec 07 storm. It was pretty sick and that early Dec 07 storm which gave me 4".

I certanily dont buy YYZ's 6-8" with that Mar 08 blizzard but it was the storm of the century (this century lol).

I wouldnt mind a winter like 04-05 or 02-03 next year either but winters like 07-08/08-09 are once a decade winters lol.

Archived