• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 2012 General Discussion Part 2

Hoosier

Here we go again. The promising day 7+ storm is disappearing from the models. The western trough is becoming increasingly shallow and less amplified. Recent GFS runs have shifted the storm to the northern plains. A few days ago the Euro had a highly amplified pattern evolving with a sharp ridge shooting north into Alaska and a sharp, deep trough digging into the sw US. It has been shifting away from that scenario and the latest run has de-amplified to the point where there is no ridge into Alaska, only a shallow, broad western trough, and a surface low skirting the Canada/US border. :axe:

It could very well come back in later runs, the GFS had virtually nothing yesterday night and is back to the big storm verbatim, just further north. It could easily trend south and then we're back in business again. Several of the ensemble members continue to show the system. The western ridge really needs to assert its dominance. :gun_bandana:

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It could very well come back in later runs, the GFS had virtually nothing yesterday night and is back to the big storm verbatim, just further north. It could easily trend south and then we're back in business again. The western ridge really needs to assert its dominance. :gun_bandana:

I've been impressed that we keep seeing something showing up consistently in the long range on most op runs and many ensembles. Often they will lose a storm completely. We will either have a significant storm or we won't but I think it's way too early to put much stock into any trends.

Stick with the trends my friends... Its getting late... Spring hopefully won't be a huge turd, but I have a feeling this positive temp anomalies can't go on much longer in the northern states. I sure wouldn't mind a cold summer, as long as it doesn't rain every day.

Earlier I had 85.1F inside the greenhouse, with an outside temp of 34F. Must be very clear air today allowing excellent solar radiation. A little remaining snow also helps reflect some light in there.

post-525-0-70003400-1329609417.gif

The area to watch IMO over the next several days will be the eastern Pacific up into Alaska...if we can get a true block that extends up through Alaska by next weekend there is a much better chance that the fast Pacific flow gets disrupted and that significant amplification occurs over the western US.

It appears pretty clear cut that there will not be blocking on the Atlantic side of the continent to end out the month, so from what I'm seeing the choices for our end of the month storm go something like:

1. Seasonal trends prevail and ridging over Alaska is not as strong as some models indicate now, we see a broader trough and any storm remains unphased...we see a weak low pressure track over the lower lakes or Ohio Valley with perhaps a swath of relatively light snow on the northern fringe of any precip.

2. Model trends prevail, we see a block develop over Alaska and a deep trough moving out of the western US during the February 26-27 timeframe. A trough this deep would likely be able to phase with any subtropical energy and a strong storm would be likely somewhere, although given the lack of blocking over the North Atlantic or the polar regions on our side of the hemisphere, a track farther NW would be favored and the Plains see a decent snowstorm and the warm sector gets interesting over the OV.

3. Seasonal trends prevail and then some, and we don't see a notable storm anywhere.

Right now, I'd lean towards the seasonal trends but just slightly because we are still over a week out. How the models handle the ridging over Alaska and off the west coast in the coming days should be telling.

Much of the Ohio Valley/Great Lakes should see a shot or two at a light snow event as the trough builds in this week. The flow will still be somewhat flat so big storm chances appear to be minimal until after the 25th.

Several sites in the region are still on track to get the Dual Pol upgrade over the next 1-2 months...

LSX - Feb. 27-Mar. 11th

DVN - Mar. 19-Apr. 1st

MKX - Apr. 2-15th

ARX - Apr. 16-29th

GRB - Apr. 30-May 13th

Yeah, wasn't very happy to see DVN getting upgraded during that time. A little early, but there could certainly be some severe in that time frame. Sure wish they would have done it in the Fall or Winter.

For all the storm talk late last week and today, especially in subforums to our east, I do sit here with a bit of a salacious grin on my face knowing that my 2.3" might end up being one of the highest recorded total of any member of this board during this period (sans roardog).

Something satisfying of not being the butt of mother nature's joke for once.

For all the storm talk late last week and today, especially in subforums to our east, I do sit here with a bit of a salacious grin on my face knowing that my 2.3" might end up being one of the highest recorded total of any member of this board during this period (sans roardog).

Something satisfying of not being the butt of mother nature's joke for once.

That's over 3 times our entire Feb total so far lol. Congrats!! :santa:

What really makes this particular winter season really frustrating, even though based on the final totals it's not unprecedented, is for all of the crap seasons of the past, all of them did feature a major, widespread, amped up snow storm SOMEWHERE in the country (and for Toronto folks. *region*), or at least we had amped up rainstorms. Even 1998-1999 had the January Blizzard and 2000-2001 (or was it 2001-2002?) had the December snowstorm. 82-83 and 88-89 even had something in March (which could happen this season as well, but just making a point).

Not so for this season as of today.

This winter's crap just rips a whole new one for crappy winters.

What really makes this particular winter season really frustrating, even though based on the final totals it's not unprecedented, is for all of the crap seasons of the past, all of them did feature a major, widespread, amped up snow storm SOMEWHERE in the country (and for Toronto folks. *region*), or at least we had amped up rainstorms. Even 1998-1999 had the January Blizzard and 2000-2001 (or was it 2001-2002?) had the December snowstorm. 82-83 and 88-89 even had something in March (which could happen this season as well, but just making a point).

I think what makes this winter season even crappier is that we have had so many little systems that look alright even in the medium range and then one day they're "supposed to hit" the midwest they turn to CRAP. Next week was looking good for snow in Michigan...now the models seem to headed towards more CRAP. Argh. This winter makes me hate winter.

In each region locally it hasn't been recordsetting-ly bad, but I agree that this winter overall for the contiguous US has been remarkably futile. Outside of the October storm for the east, which wasn't even technically winter, there has been absolutely bubkis going on.

At least for many of us in the future we'll be able to say at least it isn't as bad as it was back in the winter of 11/12. In my 35 yrs I've seen some crappy winters, but this one takes the cake HANDS DOWN. It'd be one thing if it were just here, but there really hasn't been much of interest when it comes to tracking things all season. Might be going out on a limb here, but I'd guess this is the longest stretch of benign weather that I've ever seen in any season of any year.

At least for many of us in the future we'll be able to say at least it isn't as bad as it was back in the winter of 11/12.  In my 35 yrs I've seen some crappy winters, but this one takes the cake HANDS DOWN.  It'd be one thing if it were just here, but there really hasn't been much of interest when it comes to tracking things all season.  Might be going out on a limb here, but I'd guess this is the longest stretch of benign weather that I've ever seen in any season of any year.

We might be saying that about 12-13 if it ends up being neutral. :devilsmiley:

Archived