• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
February 2012 General Discussion Part 2

Hoosier

Brilliant! It's ripping right now! Ground already completely coated in just a few minutes. Only landmark you can see now from that above photo is the street lamps.

Nice. Im really hoping for one of the bands to hit here overnight, but with lake effect outside the snowbelts its always better to expect a trace and be surprised rather than expect a band to hit you and get upset that it missed you. Hoping to replace some of the white. Last nights 2.2" kept the ground white for about 14 hours lol.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

post-525-0-08631400-1330144216.png

I'm not necessarily an expert on Lake Huron lake effect snows, but it looks like some areas will end up seeing 10-20cms (locally more) (4-8") of Lake Effect in SW Ontario tonight into Saturday morning...

A good amount of convergence is occuring between the low pressure deepening over Quebec and the high pressure building in from the west which seems to be fueling an area of general snows and two main snow bands...one stretching from the western portion of Georgian Bay, likely enhanced by convergence along that shoreline, southeast into areas north and east of Toronto...and another, more intense band that might have rates exceeding 2"/4cms an hour, is stretching from the NW shoreline of Lake Huron due to shoreline convergence and is extending southeast over the heart of the lake into areas just east of Gooderich into Hamilton and Kitchener, ON.

Given that mid level synoptic moisture will persist through much of Saturday morning and the wind direction will not chance much overnight (perhaps gain a slight additional northerly component), these bands should persist for another 12+ hours...given the heavy rates occuring beneath them, decent totals should be realized in areas seeing bands now and perhaps just southwest of current bands as the bands could try slipping a bit farther southwest overnight into early Saturday...

Note the above mentioned convergence where the lake effect is occuring:

post-525-0-59878900-1330144834.png

Nice. Im really hoping for one of the bands to hit here overnight, but with lake effect outside the snowbelts its always better to expect a trace and be surprised rather than expect a band to hit you and get upset that it missed you. Hoping to replace some of the white. Last nights 2.2" kept the ground white for about 14 hours lol.

Good luck! We just hit 1" in 30 minutes. Seems like this came out of no where. Got the emergency text for the snow squall warnings next county over, but it suddenly shifted here. Really making up for the snowstorm bust this morning.

Good luck! We just hit 1" in 30 minutes. Seems like this came out of no where. Got the emergency text for the snow squall warnings next county over, but it suddenly shifted here. Really making up for the snowstorm bust this morning.

That band over you is a bit transient, but the band itself is well developed so if it camps over you for even 2-3 hours, you will make out well with this lake effect event.

post-525-0-08631400-1330144216.png

I'm not necessarily an expert on Lake Huron lake effect snows, but it looks like some areas will end up seeing 10-20cms (locally more) (4-8") of Lake Effect in SW Ontario tonight into Saturday morning...

Indeed. The current warning calls for 6" across Huron and Perth Counties...and that is usually the norm in these events with locally higher amounts. Some prolonged events will pull in feet of snow in some areas. We don't get that many LES events in Waterloo Region unless there is a near perfect set up coming off the lake. An event like this might hit once every 2 winters. This is our second event this winter. The last one dropped 4" or so. Man, this is so exciting!

Assuming the system on Wednesday is rain, or at best freezing rain, this will be the least snowiest DJF in Toronto record keeping history, at any of the observation locations (73 years at Pearson, ~160 years downtown).

Now you will hear the global warming discussions heating up and dave phillips will be all over this

Getting hard to measure because the wind is just howling about 30mph. There is a one foot drift on the porch walk against the house. Measured 3"/7cm-ish in open spots down to the road. Best event of the season! Looks like it's about to end on radar.

Are you sure? That band still looks like it's ready and getting reloaded over lake huron and is coming towards you.

Are you sure? That band still looks like it's ready and getting reloaded over lake huron and is coming towards you.

Looks like it's prepping to set up shop over Stratford and Woodstock. But, I don't really know :snowing:

Actually looks like it's coming back this way.

At 1130pm a trained weather spotter reported 2" in Milverton 18 miles northwest of here. Jives well with my 3" since 11pm.

Warning issued for Region of Waterloo and Wellington County!

SEVERE WEATHER BULLETIN

ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA

AT 2:59 AM EST SATURDAY 25 FEBRUARY 2012.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

WATCHES/WARNINGS IN EFFECT FOR SOUTHERN ONTARIO...

SNOW SQUALL WARNING FOR:

=NEW= WATERLOO - WELLINGTON

HURON - PERTH.

A SNOW SQUALL CONTINUES TO EXTENDING FROM BETWEEN GODERICH AND

KINTAIL SOUTHEAST TO THE KITCHENER - WATERLOO AREA AND AS

FAR EAST AS GUELPH AT TIMES. ANOTHER SMALLER SNOW SQUALL

EXTENDS IN FROM NEAR BAYFIELD TO THE STRATFORD AREA.

SNOWFALL AMOUNTS NEAR 15 CM ARE LIKELY IN THE HEAVIEST SNOW

SQUALLS. TRAINED SPOTTERS IN THE KITCHENER, MILVERTON AND

ELMIRA AREAS HAVE ALL REPORTED VERY LOW VISIBILITY IN HEAVY

SNOW LAST EVENING AND INTO THE OVERNIGHT HOURS.

IN ADDITION STRONG NORTHWEST WINDS GUSTING TO 60 KM/H WILL

CAUSE FREQUENT VERY LOW TO NIL VISIBILITY IN BLOWING SNOW.

MOTORISTS SHOULD NOTE THAT DANGEROUS WINTER DRIVING CONDITIONS

FROM ZERO VISIBILITY IN BURSTS OF HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW

ARE LIKELY TONIGHT. SNOWFALL RATES OF 2 TO 4 CM PER HOUR ARE

POSSIBLE IN THIS SNOW SQUALL.

We're up 5"...here's a foot and then some tall drift on the drive.

Wow. What was your forecast before the LES started?

As I said, no use getting excited for LES here, just hope to be surprised. We had just a trace overnight, just enough to LIGHTLY dust the rooftops and such...while areas literally 3-5 miles to my south looked to have gotten a half inch, and Im thinking they got closer to an inch near hm8 in Ann Arbor. Also looks like a heavy dusting in the city of Detroit and the Wayne/Oakland county border which was supposed to be much too far north for the LES last night. Yes it wont last and its just stat-padder snow, a term that has been coined this winter around here, but now that Im left out of the stat-padder snow I can tell you it sucks, and I will welcome it with open arms, never calling it names like "stat-padder" again :lol:

Not gonna complain as mby was one of the jackpots for the Feb 10/11 snowstorm, and these are just dustings, but I have to lol that I think Im in about the only 1-mile radius that hasnt seen measurable snow this morning in Wayne county. The snow has been falling off and on, but the tiny intense bursts keep JUST missing me. Took this pic of a snow cloud that just passed to my south, reminds me of a summer storm

3096-800.jpg

Archived