February 2012 General Discussion Part 2

Hoosier

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA

522 PM EST WED FEB 29 2012

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT SOUTH BEND...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 66 DEGREES WAS SET AT SOUTH BEND TODAY.

THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 63 SET IN 2000.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA

525 PM EST WED FEB 29 2012

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT FORT WAYNE...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 66 DEGREES WAS SET AT FORT WAYNE TODAY.

THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 66 SET IN 1976.

A nice torch to cap off the last day of Met Winter ... a very fitting end indeed! Still there are several 2' feet snow piles on the sidewalks in downtown Cleveland, which lets everyone realize just what time of year it really is.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH

520 PM EST WED FEB 29 2012

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES ACROSS NORTHEAST OHIO THIS AFTERNOON...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 68 DEGREES WAS SET AT THE AKRON-CANTON

REGIONAL AIRPORT TODAY AT 444 PM. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 67

SET IN 1976.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 68 DEGREES WAS SET AT CLEVELAND-HOPKINS

INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT TODAY AT 353 PM. THIS EQUALS THE OLD RECORD OF

68 SET IN 1976.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 68 DEGREES WAS SET AT MANSFIELD-LAHM

AIRPORT TODAY AT 309 PM. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 65 SET IN

RECORD EVENT REPORT...ADDED YEAR OF PREVIOUS RECORD.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH

239 PM EST WED FEB 29 2012

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE AT COLUMBUS TIED...

THE TEMPERATURE AT THE PORT COLUMBUS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT REACHED

70 DEGREES AT 223 PM...TYING THE RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 70

DEGREES FOR FOR THIS DATE IN 1976.

Mid 60s in the southern part of Michigan while it's in the mid 30s here with the fog beginning to get thick. No warm sector for here. Maybe Friday? Although that's looking less likely now too.

Fog is extremely thick here, and its 43F. Cant believe SW MI is 60! Didnt measure rain yet but DTW had 0.66". No ice here, few sleet pellets and plain rain.

Fog is extremely thick here, and its 43F. Cant believe SW MI is 60! Didnt measure rain yet but DTW had 0.66". No ice here, few sleet pellets and plain rain.

Mix of everything here this morning. About an inch or so of snow/sleet this morning. However, there's still a few inches of snowcover here in the shaded areas from the snow event last week. Sun exposed areas have a mix of grass and snowcover.

A nice torch to cap off the last day of Met Winter ... a very fitting end indeed! Still there are several 2' feet snow piles on the sidewalks in downtown Cleveland, which lets everyone realize just what time of year it really is.

RECORD EVENT REPORT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CLEVELAND OH

520 PM EST WED FEB 29 2012

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURES ACROSS NORTHEAST OHIO THIS AFTERNOON...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 68 DEGREES WAS SET AT THE AKRON-CANTON

REGIONAL AIRPORT TODAY AT 444 PM. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 67

SET IN 1976.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 68 DEGREES WAS SET AT CLEVELAND-HOPKINS

INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT TODAY AT 353 PM. THIS EQUALS THE OLD RECORD OF

68 SET IN 1976.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 68 DEGREES WAS SET AT MANSFIELD-LAHM

AIRPORT TODAY AT 309 PM. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 65 SET IN

RECORD EVENT REPORT...ADDED YEAR OF PREVIOUS RECORD.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE WILMINGTON OH

239 PM EST WED FEB 29 2012

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE AT COLUMBUS TIED...

THE TEMPERATURE AT THE PORT COLUMBUS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT REACHED

70 DEGREES AT 223 PM...TYING THE RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 70

DEGREES FOR FOR THIS DATE IN 1976.

meh, that's cheating. there's 75% less data for today. If it were tomorrow, we probably wouldn't have as many records.

Wasnt a torch here today, it was like London with the fog, and the grass is brown and mushy, but it certainly doesnt look like winter. The only snow piles here are old plow piles in parking lots. Even then, some parking lots have none left while others have decent sized ones in the shaded areas, huge at the mall...but thats it. Well, my neighbor has one pile as do I, LOL, but this is from purposely making them big when shoveling. 98% of lawns have absolutely zero snow on them.

meh, that's cheating. there's 75% less data for today. If it were tomorrow, we probably wouldn't have as many records.

I'll guarantee that those records won't be broken for at least 4 years. The opportunity to break them is also 75% less, making it more impressive.

You'd think, but no. The record for February 28th is 67 and the record for March 1st is 69 and the record for March 2nd is 64 with 140 years of data, so today's record of 68 for February 29th isn't some anomalous figure.

I'll guarantee that those records won't be broken for at least 4 years. The opportunity to break them is also 75% less, making it more impressive.

Sorry, I'm confused.

If it were not a leap year, then today would be March 1st. What's the record for March 1st?

(LOT doesn't publish the climate summary until after midnight and Wunderground defaults to KGYY. I'm sure I could get to it through NCDC somewhere but I don't know exactly where.)

If there's only 1/4 of the data as compared to a typical day, then wouldn't there be a significantly increased chance of having "record-breaking weather" on that day?

Edit: just saw Trent's reply above.

Sorry, I'm confused.

If it were not a leap year, then today would be March 1st. What's the record for March 1st?

(LOT doesn't publish the climate summary until after midnight and Wunderground defaults to KGYY. I'm sure I could get to it through NCDC somewhere but I don't know exactly where.)

If there's only 1/4 of the data as compared to a typical day, then wouldn't there be a significantly increased chance of having "record-breaking weather" on that day?

Edit: just saw Trent's reply above.

Eh, I was just pulling your chain. There is 75% less data, but there's also only a chance to break them once every four years, so I would think it would be a wash.

What an incredible day. 68 for the new record and a blast of thunderstorms. Went outside and just took these shots.

The temp dropped almost instantaneously from near 60 to the upper 30s when the winds shifted from the lake.

So odd to be out in February taking lightning pictures along the shore. Not a lick of ice outside. This would have been incredible had the lake been frozen over (as it normally is in this location at this time of year)

post-599-0-29281400-1330566700.jpg

post-599-0-32380900-1330566712.jpg

Finished Feb with 6.0" of snow and 1.38" of precipitation imby. Despite being on pace for a record low seasonal snowfall total, no single month thus far has broken a low snowfall record.

But the chances are very high (>98%) for another record low, lol.

I got about 11.0" this month or 28.0cm.

My call for March is less than a inch at best. Maybe April can give something like in 2009 LOL.

Probably going to finish the month just shy of +4 here. December was warmest, January in the middle, and February coolest relative to average although all 3 were solidly above normal.

With +4 being the coolest relative to average, that's one warm met winter. Warm and fairly wet. FWA is going to end up about 1 3/4" above normal for met winter, with January being below normal.

What an incredible day. 68 for the new record and a blast of thunderstorms. Went outside and just took these shots.

The temp dropped almost instantaneously from near 60 to the upper 30s when the winds shifted from the lake.

So odd to be out in February taking lightning pictures along the shore. Not a lick of ice outside. This would have been incredible had the lake been frozen over (as it normally is in this location at this time of year)

Awesome Pics!!

Awesome shots dude! wow

I just used your bottom pic as back round. Awesome is a understatement of those photos

Those are some incredible shots, too bad it wasn't daylight.

Archived