• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February storm threat discussion

Ellinwood

not that this is any bold prediction, but we are almost certainly done here in immediate metro DC....in 1998-99, the cold regime was in place by 2/25 or so....in 1971-72 by 2/15 or so.....JYO-HGR-MRB can still get something decent, but I think most of us are done...except for perhaps another 0.08" QPF BL nightmare or some cartopper at night on March 28th.....and I think the idea of a cold March is pretty unlikely...more of the same....and summer will probably be terrible and then next winter we probably get a 3rd year nina or neutral that is hot with 5" of snow...see ya in 2013-14

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not that this is any bold prediction, but we are almost certainly done here in immediate metro DC....in 1998-99, the cold regime was in place by 2/25 or so....in 1971-72 by 2/15 or so.....JYO-HGR-MRB can still get something decent, but I think most of us are done...except for perhaps another 0.08" QPF BL nightmare or some cartopper at night on March 28th.....and I think the idea of a cold March is pretty unlikely...more of the same....and summer will probably be terrible and then next winter we probably get a 3rd year nina or neutral that is hot with 5" of snow...see ya in 2013-14

You don't think we can get an El Nino?

I think the jury is still out. We could have a 3rd year Nina, neutral, or Nino. I forget where I posted the enso stats but I broke down the different analogs for Nino's and neutrals but not Nina's.

75-76 stands out if we have another Nina. 72-73 was a strong nino, 73-74 was a strong nina, 74-75 was a weak nina (decent enso analog for this winter), and 75-76 went back to a mod-strong nina.

00-01 is another year that stand out if we have a 3rd year Nina.

Honestly, I gotta side with zwyts for next year. This is a way off topic discussion but I really don't see an obvious reason to be enthused about where we stand and where we're going.

It's a super small dataset though so you can't put much stock in anything irt past enso. There have been 4 multi year Nina's since 1950. Only one was followed with enso neutral and that was 01-02. The other 3 were Ninos. We prob have equal chances for the most part at any outcome next year. If anything, I would hedge against another Nina but that is a guess more than anything else.

we are "probably" in a -PDO regime that started in 2007-08 (though some say it started in 1998)....even 2009-10 acted liked an example of going counter to the prevailing decadal cycle versus being part of a greater +PDO cycle....we don't have a great sample size but based on the past few, they last 20-30 years....it is more uncommon to get extended warm events in a -PDO cycle....usually they are one year....so the tendency is for a cold event...in the 45-76 -PDO cycle there were only 3 moderate/strong Ninos in 32 winters and 4 weaker ones....so all other things being equal, I'd probably go with a 20-25% chance of a NIno and 75-80% chance of a Nina or neutral

You are getting wiser. If you look at the 500h pattern with the 204 hr threat it is pathetic and doesn't really support snow. There is now real shortwave approaching with any amplitude. .

Look...it took me a while, but yeah, I've toughened up. You know I love you and respect you, but I used to get so annoyed when you'd come into a thread and "rain on the parade". In hindsight, it's the best thing you could have ever done and you should keep it up and just lay it on the line straight. You da man.

You can use paypal to pay me. Thanks.

Look...it took me a while, but yeah, I've toughened up. You know I love you and respect you, but I used to get so annoyed when you'd come into a thread and "rain on the parade". In hindsight, it's the best thing you could have ever done and you should keep it up and just lay it on the line straight. You da man.

You can use paypal to pay me. Thanks.

Speaking of paypal, did you get my conference payment?

we are "probably" in a -PDO regime that started in 2007-08 (though some say it started in 1998)....even 2009-10 acted liked an example of going counter to the prevailing decadal cycle versus being part of a greater +PDO cycle....we don't have a great sample size but based on the past few, they last 20-30 years....it is more uncommon to get extended warm events in a -PDO cycle....usually they are one year....so the tendency is for a cold event...in the 45-76 -PDO cycle there were only 3 moderate/strong Ninos in 32 winters and 4 weaker ones....so all other things being equal, I'd probably go with a 20-25% chance of a NIno and 75-80% chance of a Nina or neutral

the upside is ninos in a -PDO regime are cold...even 72-73 which was pretty strong was reasonably cool, only a +0.8 vs today's norms....I think we just got unlucky...not sure I really count 51-52 since it was so marginal......chances are if we get a Nino, a good hedge would be below normal temps, above normal snow....A neutral winter next winter would probably suck....another nina would probably suck too....

the upside is ninos in a -PDO regime are cold...even 72-73 which was pretty strong was reasonably cool, only a +0.8 vs today's norms....I think we just got unlucky...not sure I really count 51-52 since it was so marginal......chances are if we get a Nino, a good hedge would be below normal temps, above normal snow....A neutral winter next winter would probably suck....another nina would probably suck too....

weak NINO; if I dare to think otherwise, I'll be insufferable

we're getting a NINO, get it? :fulltilt:

its a good thing we closed my thread since that is the only threat worth tracking

• Wxrisk.com ‎12Z EURO has NO thread of ANY kind feb 29-march1.. Just an ordinary cold front. There is NO 50/50 Low... NO blocking over eastern Canada or Greenland a HUGE se ridge ahead of the front.. a very Positive AO and huge west trough coast trough. AS you can see its not 1 or 2 things that are unfavorable...its 8 or 9 things . BY march 2 a DEEP trough moves into the West and the eastern US REALLY warms up ...

JMA at 192 has a pretty significant overrunning event attacking a big arctic high...looks a bit supressed right now for the Northern Mid Atlantic...but I am not going to mention what the JMA is showing

Is it a pretty significant, though slightly suppressed for the northern Mid-Atlantic, overrunning event at 192?

• Wxrisk.com ‎12Z EURO has NO thread of ANY kind feb 29-march1.. Just an ordinary cold front. There is NO 50/50 Low... NO blocking over eastern Canada or Greenland a HUGE se ridge ahead of the front.. a very Positive AO and huge west trough coast trough. AS you can see its not 1 or 2 things that are unfavorable...its 8 or 9 things . BY march 2 a DEEP trough moves into the West and the eastern US REALLY warms up ...

Euro shows a threat on Feb 29-March 1. Mostly for you though Mildew

Archived