• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First half of February...another pattern shift?

ORH_wxman

I suppose we will have one more disaster to go through next week, before anything starts to change.

Yeah I mentioned that in the opening post...we could def see an ugly few days right before the pattern shifts...still uncertain though...that low may try to ride over us or south of us which would be cooler, or the one after it...but both could ride up the St. Lawrence valley too and we would have some pretty mild days.

The first week of February is really when things are getting aligned...so it could be messy with some systems to our northwest. Hopefully one tracks under us though.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I mentioned that in the opening post...we could def see an ugly few days right before the pattern shifts...still uncertain though...that low may try to ride over us or south of us which would be cooler, or the one after it...but both could ride up the St. Lawrence valley too and we would have some pretty mild days.

The first week of February is really when things are getting aligned...so it could be messy with some systems to our northwest. Hopefully one tracks under us though.

Well a low moving over us, is never as bad when the pattern looks better down the road..lol. Maybe we can get some sort of predecessor WAA deal on the 30th or 31st.

Yeah, it's one of the reason this change may have legs for once.

If we can get a wave to circle around to 8,1,2 then this might not be only a 8-10 day thing...could be a nice 3 week period or something...HM hinted that he thought it could go into 8,2,1 after the 15th.

But that's getting ahead of ourselves a bit...but at least it looks like we'll definitely see a period of strong +PNA...hopefully its a longer lasting pattern shift.

Rain in LA in a split flow, 4 days later is our snowstorm.

Yup. Observed it many times. I always wanted to get hit with windy heavy rain in LA and snow in the mountains and then take a flight the next day east and get hit again by snow. Didn't have the resources then so it was typically out of the question. One thing I did do though is based on the map in the LA Times sometime around 1980 or 1981 I on the spur of the moment took the red eye to BOS, crashed at my friends, and watched the storm become a colossal dud. We did go to the Bruins game though....lol.

Yup. Observed it many times. I always wanted to get hit with windy heavy rain in LA and snow in the mountains and then take a flight the next day east and get hit again by snow. Didn't have the resources then so it was typically out of the question. One thing I did do though is based on the map in the LA Times sometime around 1980 or 1981 I on the spur of the moment took the red eye to BOS, crashed at my friends, and watched the storm become a colossal dud. We did go to the Bruins game though....lol.

:weenie:

I think if the NAO is more neutral, the chance is for more cstl huggers. I don't think suppression is the worry for any larger storms.

This all sounds good, and I'm hopeful.

Coming late to the thread, but the title of "another" shift seems superfluous, though I may be missing the point. At least for sensible wx in my area, the pattern's been pretty much the same since the pre-Thanksgiving storm - lots of quick-change temps averaging +2 to +4, and no strong storms to speak of. Lots more snow in Jan than Dec, but maybe that's just because climo temps are 6-8F colder, turning some Dec liquid to Jan frozen.

Archived