• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
First half of February...another pattern shift?

ORH_wxman

I was thinking about this today too lol

The bulk of last season's SF came in a 6-week period last year. Not saying we repeat, but get a sweet period with a couple biggies, some good teleconnections, and some luck...then who knows.

Definitely something to look forward to. At least we're not looking at a pattern of SWFE, hoping to get an inch of snow on the front end before the switch to 55F rain the next day.

We could get a good period, but it could also skunk us too...which is the hard part about LR forecasting when talking snow.

SWFEs can be good for us...look at '07-'08...all winter long and we had some pretty good events, '08-'09 too....and then you can get several of them that stink like tonight where you get a bit of snow and then flip.

The amped up ridging out west will definitely give us chances, I have no doubt about that...but whether they materialize into snow events is another story, but I'm sure we'll see plenty of model threats in that pattern.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The WPO loading pattern there shows well where our coldest air would be coming from...from Hudson Bay on eastward....which was what the Euro ensembles do...they bring it over the huge ridge out west and down through Hudson Bay and into Quebec.

The central plains of Canada would probably be mild...though the eastern edge might be cold...esp if the EPO/.WPO are battling eachother there.

I'm a little confused on this...why would the coldest air be coming from Hudson Bay on eastward? All the cold seems to be bottled up near Siberia or that area.

wpo.composite.gif

Still looks pretty good in the longer range. The end of the ensembles start to lose some of the +PNA ampltidude so we'll have to see if that continues, or does it try to reload. Otherwise, looks like first chance of some sort of rain or snow comes up near 2/4.

That's my wife's and mine16 year anniversary. 1996. I was distracted at times....lol.

So my wife and I are talking over breakfast and coffee....she rushing around to get out of the house and me having a later start drinking coffee. I tell her how glad I am that it's Friday and there are no games this weekend and no weather to rob me of sleep as I am tired. I remind her of next weekend being our anniversary dinner and the superbowl. I also throw in..."and it looks like we're going into a nice wintry period for a spell of maybe weeks and she..barely audibly answers....or a day. I had to lol because that's been true this winter!

That Feb 2/3 storm looks very similar to the set-up of this current system except we will be hoping more for a secondary to take charge SE of New England. Some sort of low in the southern Great Lakes region with secondary development forming near the coast.

00z ECM looks interesting leading into that event.

f168.gif

That certainly is an option. Hope not, but sometimes these transition storms, suck.

I just want a big coastal storm at this point... whens the last time we had a strong coastal? Probably that frontal storm with that hung back vortmax in December.. if its snow, cool.. if its rain, cool... of its a freaking KU then this winter will be epic in my book...

I'd laugh my seasonal snowfall came from 2 storms

I love the look of this setup, ala that other mini coastal last week.

Great looking quebecian blocking. Love that high.

You remember how crappy is was up until that point, in Feb '03? You and I got screwed right through January while Ray and Will got hit hard. Finally, the tables turned on 2/6 with that epic band of S+.

I remember the forecast of 1-3 while the DC weenies were celebrating and sometimes jabbing at us. My wife calls stuck in Newton in one of the bands and tells me forecasters are wrong. 11 inches later...dc laughed no more...lol.

I remember the forecast of 1-3 while the DC weenies were celebrating and sometimes jabbing at us. My wife calls stuck in Newton in one of the bands and tells me forecasters are wrong. 11 inches later...dc laughed no more...lol.

I drove home in that storm. Some of the best snow growth I've ever seen to this day.

I remember the forecast of 1-3 while the DC weenies were celebrating and sometimes jabbing at us.  My wife calls stuck in Newton in one of the bands and tells me forecasters are wrong.  11 inches later...dc laughed no more...lol.

the Feb 17th PD storm was just epic, a fantastic storm for all

??? PD2 was a very cold storm. I was in Philly...snowing and in the teens, even started single digits IIRC. Not a strong storm 5SD anomalous flow off the Atlantic and huge overrunning.

Yeah I recall it being quite cold. I guess I'm just not understanding the difference between 500 mb heights and 1000-500 mb thickness.

Archived