• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First half of February...another pattern shift?

ORH_wxman

We do not have a thread for the longer range right now...we've been discussing this in various storm threat threads, so I thought I would start this for the February pattern.

What we are seeing is a pretty strong move by ensembles (both GFS and ECMWF) toward a +PNA pattern...with potentially a -EPO as well but it may hang more near neutral.

For those not familiar with what it means...here are the loading patterns for the positive phases of both the EPO and PNA....

+EPO pattern:

epocomposite.gif

+PNA

pnaload.gif

The EPO pattern I posted is positive...but the forecasted pattern is more negative shifted a tad east. It also depends on which set of ensembles you use as to the nuances of the pattern. The ECMWF ensembles are a bit more -EPO while the GEFS are more neutral. Both however are a big +PNA pattern. The nuances in the PNA ridge and if it can produce a more -EPO will determine the temperature departures in the period in question...but I'm going to focus more on the snow potential.

A +PNA means a very large ridge out west usually and that teleconnects well to a trough in the east which is of course how we are going to get storminess more often.

Here is the GFS ensemble mean valid for 00z Feb 7

f300.gif

That is a big +PNA but the EPO is kind of neutral or even slightly negative there...however the Euro ensembles are like the image above except shifting the ridge a bit west and higher into AK which would be a bit of a colder pattern. Another notable difference on the Euro ensembles is they have a more distinct ridging signal into Greenland whereas the GFS ensmebles above clearly do not. Both of these difference would make the Euro ensembles more conductive to cold/snow chances versus the GEFS....but the GEFS isn't bad. It would likely still offer some storm chances with a ridge like that to the west, but the cold wouldn't be as impressive.

There is going to be a shift going on over the next 10 days or so to really get this pattern into place (assuming it happens)...in those next 10 days, we should average out mild and the storm chances will probably be tougher to get. My best estimate for more chances would be in the period after Feb 5th...probably until the 15th or 20th if this winter is any indication on how the favorable PAC patterns break down after 10-14 days....but its possible it could stay longer.

Its also possible that the ridging is being over modeled on the ensembles...however, given that it has become more and more impressive the closer we get, it leads to a bit more confidence that we should experience a period with a significantly positive PNA which in turn will hopefully lead to an active pattern for storm threats.

The NAO and how far north the ridge pushes in the west will be X-factors on the temperature departures...and the NAO of course can always help with the synoptics of a storm threat too.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The +PNA's been flagged for days... We spoke about the 28th through the first 10 days of Feb in that other thread - at least I did, in earnest. BUT, I'm a little leery about "extending" - pun intended ... - any confidence in this based purely on seasonal trend for redemptionless Shawshanking as Scott and I joked last night.

One thing I have noticed over the last month and a half or so is that when you see cyclones modeled out in time, you rarely see the deep QPF on the cold side of the isobaric layout among the given model runs, over the mean of that time span. Yet, almost in the same sentence we can admit to an odd pattern of not snowing even when things looked better. ...save for a couple of light events. I don't believe those two observations are disconnected.

It more than seems to me that a big intregal problem in the pattern(s) has/have been the lack of mixing/transportation of theta-e into the cold thickness. We rain, it gets cold...the ground freezes, we warm up 2 days later such that even on the cold side of the systems you end up at 37F with rain.

Perhaps with this +PNA ...provided that actually happens...we'll finally get opportunities to change the "character" of cyclogenesis.

Nice....all aboard the winter 2011-'12 salvage train.

(I realize that it doesn't need to be salvaged in W. Chesterfield, Pete)

We'll definitely be rooting more for the Euro ensembles here...there is a decent chance a period of warmth too right before this sets up, so there will surely be some bridge jumpers if that torch looks more menacing to start February.

But hopefully this +PNA and potential -EPO/-NAO setup looks better as we get closer.

Certainly no guarantee this pattern produces, but it can. Its actually pretty similar to the first half of Feb 1996. Also not too dissimilar to the period from late Jan to mid Feb 2000 when we saw some active winter wx.

I also see a +WPO as well.

It's not the most coldest pro, but the +PNA may help.Anytime you have a ridge out west, you should be excited.

The WPO loading pattern there shows well where our coldest air would be coming from...from Hudson Bay on eastward....which was what the Euro ensembles do...they bring it over the huge ridge out west and down through Hudson Bay and into Quebec.

The central plains of Canada would probably be mild...though the eastern edge might be cold...esp if the EPO/.WPO are battling eachother there.

The WPO loading pattern there shows well where our coldest air would be coming from...from Hudson Bay on eastward....which was what the Euro ensembles do...they bring it over the huge ridge out west and down through Hudson Bay and into Quebec.

The central plains of Canada would probably be mild...though the eastern edge might be cold...esp if the EPO/.WPO are battling eachother there.

Yeah I think a blend of a bit of +WPO and +PNA would fit here. Basically not an ice cold pattern, but anytime you have ridge out west...things can happen.

Yeah I think a blend of a bit of +WPO and +PNA would fit here. Basically not an ice cold pattern, but anytime you have ridge out west...things can happen.

As mentioned above..the NAO will be a big x-factor in the temperature departures...but regardless there should be some storm chances even if we don't up that cold.

Feb 1996 shows this well...the ridging poking into Greenland drove the cold south and it was very cold in the east despite even a +EPO/WPO...we want that ridge to be a little west more like Euro ensembles

compday6618977100241434.gif

I def wouldn't forecast that cold though...there was actually a little ridging in the far west Aleutians in that pattern. But it shows how things can be driven southward with a -NAO.

Oh I agree. -NAO is the X-factor. But I think if....IF the models were correct, we could see a big sharp cold plunge into the ne US. MJO forecasts seem to agree too, which is the first I've seen all season. I'm somewhat intrigued for February, but also aware it could go into the toilet.

Oh I agree. -NAO is the X-factor. But I think if....IF the models were correct, we could see a big sharp cold plunge into the ne US. MJO forecasts seem to agree too, which is the first I've seen all season. I'm somewhat intrigued for February, but also aware it could go into the toilet.

Classic scooter...ballz to the wallz, everything on the line :lol:

You always have a trap door at the end of your thoughts in order to provide an escape route from your optimism.

Classic scooter...ballz to the wallz, everything on the line :lol:

You always have a trap door at the end of your thoughts in order to provide an escape route from your optimism.

What I mean is that it may not least long. I think the ridging is for real, but it may not last more than 10-15 days before tanking again.

You can on the spaghetti plots in the first post on the GEFS how the OP run (in white) has the ridging into AK further north and it has some ridging in Greenland....so its no surprise that the OP has that huge cold outbreak.

Reminds me of the winter of 06-07 when we had a good 7-20 days in Feb where it snowed everyday along with a norlun. Then winter was over. March blows

My biggest snowstorm (and most others) in 2007 was in March in the St. Patty's day storm.

The period surrounding the Feb '06 storm was similar as well...that period really didn't get all that cold, but it was cold enough. You never predict actual storms this far out obviously, but it shows that when you get big ridging out west, that you'll have a shot...you still need the synoptics to work out. Getting some of that ridging (even if not that big) poking into Greenland will be a huge help too

compday6618977100241542.gif

Archived