Newest Member
    joxey
January 20-21 Snow/Sleet/Ice/Rain event OBS

Deck Pic

• Replies 817
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's a higher RH tho. If the precip is heavy enough it will saturate quick

One I remember clearly is the storm at the end of Jan. two years ago. I (KOKV) was at 18/2 and it started snowing very lightly as soon as the echos were over us. They were light echos too. I couldn't believe it. Of course, within an hour or so, the returns and the snow increased in intensity. I guess the humidity all the way up plays a big role, not just the ground level rh.

One I remember clearly is the storm at the end of Jan. two years ago. I (KOKV) was at 18/2 and it started snowing very lightly as soon as the echos were over us. They were light echos too. I couldn't believe it. Of course, within an hour or so, the returns and the snow increased in intensity. I guess the humidity all the way up plays a big role, not just the ground level rh.

I'm certainly not implying it can't snow... We had this argument like 2 weeks ago and I was on the it can snow with low dew pt side. But with low RH it's worth considering at least briefly.

I'm certainly not implying it can't snow... We had this argument like 2 weeks ago and I was on the it can snow with low dew pt side. But with low RH it's worth considering at least briefly.

Yeah, I'm on your side Ian. I usually expect virga, like I got last night, and I'm usually not disappointed. That storm was just a trip, all the way from the model miracle, to your famous comment (that nobody probably remembers), to the snow starting immediately, to the really nice, cold snow that it turned out to be.

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the 10F dew point line moved just south of DCA this morning and hasn't budged all day (go back each hour on the link below to see what I mean)

I think, in my little mind, that has significance in that if you are north of it, you will do OK

this is probably no great revelation to anyone following this event, but I can't recall seeing something like this before

http://weather.unisys.com/surface/sfc_con.php?image=de&inv=0&t=cur&expanddiv=hide_bar

Archived