Newest Member
    joxey
Jan 20/21 Snow Threat

snowNH

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the lesson re-learned:

1. Good antecedent cold goes a long way as a starter.

2. A holding high often seals the deal.

Let's look at the cases:

Last week. Holding high too far north for parts of SNE but great antecedent conds in NNE. Bingo

Monday night. Stout cold with waa snows. You saw how warm the other side got but the antecedent cold held the day.

Future: tomorrow night: waa from low passing overhead....in a very cold airmass. Should yield some convective snows.

Saturday: overrunning with good antecedent cold and a holding high. Don't be surprised if the snows in this system end up way exceeding guidance...as in borderline MECS.

Good times have returned?

Let's look at the cases:

Last week. Holding high too far north for parts of SNE but great antecedent conds in NNE. Bingo

Monday night. Stout cold with waa snows. You saw how warm the other side got but the antecedent cold held the day.

Future: tomorrow night: waa from low passing overhead....in a very cold airmass. Should yield some convective snows.

Saturday: overrunning with good antecedent cold and a holding high. Don't be surprised if the snows in this system end up way exceeding guidance...as in borderline MECS.

is that a DT term...did those all originate with him?

is that a DT term...did those all originate with him?

Yes. But if it's rain it would be SECL....significant east coast low..

In this case MECS is major east coast snow..although arguably only the northeast this time.

His mind works in funny ways. I also find it amusing that as soon as he put out the word of torch...the guidance started changing. He's noTebow...lol.

Let's look at the cases:

Agree!

Another point I'd add regarding the evolution of models in the past week:

We've gone from cold rainy cutters and raging torch next week to a more wintry pattern with multiple smaller-moderate events and much mitigated torch.

Snow and cold beget snow and cold... last weekend finally introduced a nice bolus of cold and snow and a decent blocking high, the gradient for SWFE's has been pushed south, and the antecedent snowcover (now mostly to our northwest) begets more snow events.

The AK vortex hex was broken, and you gave the perfect analogy for what we're seeing: after the first hit, the pitcher often unravels.

Harder for me to say what happens into February and if a robust AK vortex and consequences makes a comeback.

Funny thing is we had foxboro 60 and sunny Sunday. Now it looks like 30s with visible snow in the sidelines. First major torch that may be heading to failure....or at least a not insignificant delay. I like where we're going. Scott...you alluded to euro ens looking good in the long range?

High pressure in SE Canada doing it's work and the Atlantic side slowly starting to come around. The NAO shall save us.

The models as usual are having trouble breaking out precip in the WAA/overrunning region ahead of the disturbance late Friday night, the NAM has high RH levels in the mid-layers but shows no surface precip other than over W-NY and W-PA...I believe alot like events such as 2/11/94, 12/14/03, 2/22/08 there is going to be snow well ahead of where any of the guidance shows it right now.

NAM actually has an ice storm for the Saturday event for interior SNE. Its showed the least CAD in the mid-levels of any model...kind of like last Thursday. Strange since its usually more bullish on that kind of thing.

Probably not really worth analyzing too much given its in its worst time frame beyond 60 hours.

Yes. But if it's rain it would be SECL....significant east coast low..

In this case MECS is major east coast snow..although arguably only the northeast this time.

His mind works in funny ways. I also find it amusing that as soon as he put out the word of torch...the guidance started changing. He's noTebow...lol.

Whatever DT has forecasted this winter..the exact opposite has happened. He has been beyond awful..and is right there with LC

NAM actually has an ice storm for the Saturday event for interior SNE. Its showed the least CAD in the mid-levels of any model...kind of like last Thursday. Strange since its usually more bullish on that kind of thing.

Probably not really worth analyzing too much given its in its worst time frame beyond 60 hours.

Its got quite the CAD signature on the surface at 69 hours, I've told everyone NYC's snowless January will fall guaranteed if the NAM's positioning of the high is correct not to mention the event would be frozen for an extensive period in SNE, thats a big if as you mention given its during the NAM's unreliable range.

Or less as has been witnessed lately

What do you think for timing of anything... mid-day like BOX is saying?

We have our Winter Carnival Saturday...might need to push it to Sunday

W've seen the NAM totally flip from it's usual bias. Typically it's always too cold and suppressed but this winter esp the last few events it's been way too warm and north. Th GFS with it's God awful all around abilities has been colder and more accurate than the NAM

I thought you said never follow the GFS? Or is it because it shows snow and the NAM doesn't?

Hunchback..I'd guess it's snowing by midday here and mid afternoon up by you on Sat..Shouldn't a winter carnival actually take place in winter wx with snow falling?

Euro and GFS both have it snowing by morning...Euro even slightly earlier...maybe starting predawn hours on Saturday.

Humor in the AFD:

AM SOMEWHAT BEWILDERED AND

SURPRISED WITH THE FCST AMOUNT OF PRECIP AS THE SYS IS ASSOC WITH

FAIRLY WEAK DYNAMICS.

BTV forecasting dry air working south will limit much of anything up here to flurries, but then leaves the door open for a slightly further north track. Overall doesn't look all that interesting up this way at the moment. Its about time we got one of these where the high was strong enough to hold off precip up at this latitude.

TYPICALLY MODELS STRUGGLE WITH THIS TYPE OF PATTERN

AND NORMALLY DON`T START TO HANDLE THESE SYSTEMS WELL UNTIL THEY

EJECT FROM THE ROCKIES. FIRST SOUTHERN STREAM SYSTEM IMPACTS OUR

REGION LATE SATURDAY INTO SATURDAY NIGHT...WITH A PERIOD OF LIGHT

SNOW FOR CENTRAL/SOUTHERN VT. FEEL POSITION OF SFC HIGH PRES ACRS

SOUTHERN CANADA WL ADVECT LLVL DRY AIR INTO NORTHERN

VT/NY...INCLUDING THE CPV...RESULTING IN MAINLY FLURRIES OR VERY

LIGHT SNOW. BEST RIBBON OF ENHANCED 850 TO 500M RH...ALONG WITH

700 TO 500MB UVVS WL TRACK CLOSER TO THE SFC LOW PRES FROM THE MID

ATLANTIC STATES INTO SNE. HOWEVER...GIVEN STRONG THERMAL GRADIENT

ACRS OUR REGION...WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED IF A SLIGHTLY FURTHER

TRACK NORTH DEVELOPS...SPREADING SOME LIGHT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS

INTO THE CPV AND NORTHERN VT.

Ive been afraid to sign in here. Good to see you guys havent hung yourselves with a string of :weenie:

ps (edit), I did my best to help. I sold my plow truck and bought a rear wheel drive car with summer tires on it. Sorry to say that was in December.

I love my rear wheel drive SUV in the snow. A different style of driving, but I have never been stuck or lost control (except for the time a semi slide sideways in front of me on the highway on 95 in Maine, but I managed to save it then too. Ironic part being a Maine state trooper cut him off causing the incident)

I like the snow driving, you can actually take turns with a little bit of controlled drift.

Archived