northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Jan 20/21 Snow Threat

snowNH

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like this setup. I think most of us do ok.

I agree at this point...this tick south might be good for keeping us out of the sleet...remember when the 1/12 event ticked south to hammer us around this time frame when we thought it was going to rain up to the Canadian border a couple days earlier....then it ticked back north in the final 48h...we still did ok in the interior, but it wasn't 10" of snow like was shown for a couple runs 3 days out.

The only thing keeping it from coming north is the nuaces in the short wave itself and the PV up west of Hudson Bay...but there is no blocking to really road block it downstream.

i understand the black bird doesn't do well in the white stuff...

(reference above, of course, was to Baltimore...)

not sure what to make of the suppressed trends tonight

sometimes models don't have a good handle of where baroclinic zone sets up until after 1st shortwave passes through

in any case, i actually think SNE sits good this far out... if it's a powdery 2-3" rather than a more wet 4-6" with potential for sleet taint, so be it...

Bet it starts trending north again by 0z runs Friday....

The next system is a debacle for snow pack... 540 line to Labrador, slow rainy front moves through.

So whatever happens on Saturday, enjoy it for one day and do some snow showing etc. because it get's wrecked and we are left with a similar to situation to now with 4-6 inches of pure frozen junk on the ground.

Euro is def a bit south of 12z...but not nearly as far south as the GFS or GGEM. Most of the region is in line for 3-6" on the Euro with north of the MA/NH border getting less.

Bet it starts trending north again by 0z runs Friday....

The next system is a debacle for snow pack... 540 line to Labrador, slow rainy front moves through.

So whatever happens on Saturday, enjoy it for one day and do some snow showing etc. because it get's wrecked and we are left with a similar to situation to now with 4-6 inches of pure frozen junk on the ground.

It will probably trend north in the final 36h because that is what these things do...but every once in a while one of them will crap out as a weak sheared wave to the south...but the time you get that is when there is blocking and we just don't have it right now. So my bet would be it comes back north...if past similar setups are any indiciation at any rate.

The key shortwave that causes this system is now over the north Pacific whereas the few previous runs it was over the Aleutians...not sure if that will make a difference. It comes onshore the PAC NW at 00z tomorrow night.

Nice mtrend south as some oif us thought would happen..Just no room for it to come north. Every system the last 10 days has come south a bit as we closed in.

I'd expect the icestorm on Monday to do the same..Wiz thinks everyone blasts into th 50's lol

Nah, it will warm. Maybe not 50s, but cold rain at the least for you.

Nah, it will warm. Maybe not 50s, but cold rain at the least for you.

Yeah i agree we'll get ice SUnday night and that will prob go over to like a 34 rain on Monday...but Wiz thinks all of SNE rips into the 50's.

These systems seem to want to trend colder lately..With no blocking you wouldn't necc think that would happen

Really bumming I'm going to miss the best 72 hours of the winter due to this God-foresaken trip. I'll be trying to follow the Saturday event unfold from 90*. That sucks. Then whatever Sunday-night brings. I then return Monday night to what looks like a mild few days.

Regardless of north/south, we all get a taste of winter. Of course, some will benefit more than others but good stuff to some degree for all beginning this evening.

Yeah i agree we'll get ice SUnday night and that will prob go over to like a 34 rain on Monday...but Wiz thinks all of SNE rips into the 50's.

These systems seem to want to trend colder lately..With no blocking you wouldn't necc think that would happen

I actually wouldn't be shocked if you did hit 50.

Archived