• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Jan 20/21 Snow Threat

snowNH

No, probably sleet with thicknesses that cold...sfc temps in the teens to mid 20s with a narrow warm layer at 850....but in all honesty, all of that is a huge red flag to begin with...especially with the Euro and other guidance not showing that really narrow warm layer and the arctic high in good location.

What's your initial thoughts here? This looks like the best setup since October for you guys and a classic -WPO/gradient storm (I refuse to say southwest flow event because that is just silly). :P

A good 4+ on the way....

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, probably sleet with thicknesses that cold...sfc temps in the teens to mid 20s with a narrow warm layer at 850....but in all honesty, all of that is a huge red flag to begin with...especially with the Euro and other guidance not showing that really narrow warm layer and the arctic high in good location.

I meant was it showing ice... Scooter mentioned mega warm layer. I see your point.

NAM is confused. I will check it later.

WeatherMA was mentioning ice earlier

What's your initial thoughts here? This looks like the best setup since October for you guys and a classic -WPO/gradient storm (I refuse to say southwest flow event because that is just silly). :P

A good 4+ on the way....

I'm feeling pretty good for advisory snow (3-5") for most of the SNE region north of a HFD-PVD line...but not quite confident on 6"+ yet...mostly because we can still see this come north in the mid-levels...and if it does, it would introduce more sleet/ZR into the equation...though it would also probably cause better frontogenesis so the snow before the flip would be heavier...so that's why I still feel pretty good about 3-5 or 3-6 even if it comes north. If we can keep a Euro type solution or what many of the GFS runs have shown, then something like 5-8" would be more prudent.

I meant was it showing ice... Scooter mentioned mega warm layer. I see your point.

NAM is confused. I will check it later.

WeatherMA was mentioning ice earlier

It showed ice at 18z for here...but the 00z sounding is a sleet sounding having just checked it now.

I'm feeling pretty good for advisory snow (3-5") for most of the SNE region north of a HFD-PVD line...but not quite confident on 6"+ yet...mostly because we can still see this come north in the mid-levels...and if it does, it would introduce more sleet/ZR into the equation...though it would also probably cause better frontogenesis so the snow before the flip would be heavier...so that's why I still feel pretty good about 3-5 or 3-6 even if it comes north. If we can keep a Euro type solution or what many of the GFS runs have shown, then something like 5-8" would be more prudent.

Agreed and I think this also includes a good chunk of northern PA, NJ and NY. I think that's a good approach to this one. I saw a few icy analogs showing up in the CIPS guidance; but as you said, you can still get a nice 3-5" before the mixing/changeover.

It feels good to have winter again.

Agreed and I think this also includes a good chunk of northern PA, NJ and NY. I think that's a good approach to this one. I saw a few icy analogs showing up in the CIPS guidance; but as you said, you can still get a nice 3-5" before the mixing/changeover.

It feels good to have winter again.

Amen bro

Archived