EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January 2012 General Discussion/Obs Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm insulating the *(&* out of my house this summer. I'm blowing cellulose into the walls and i'm wrapping the whole house with 2 inches of polyiso (aluminum backed foam board). Right now the only insulation in my house is in the attic (cellulose). If I was building from scratch I'd put at least R60 in the attic and R40 in the walls.

-4F ...saying -11F tonite. The bridge (I-90) going across the Black River was an ice skating rink. Good car accident on the other side ...car was totaled.

Losing heat in my apartment by the day even tho my heat is on full blast. It's such a weak heating system. 60 °F :(

Gonna fire up the gas oven and try to heat this place up.

:lmao:

Prevention is the Key to Avoiding Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

x-bullet.gifDON’T use a gas oven to heat your home, even for a short time.

http://www.epa.gov/i...bs/coftsht.html

BIG NO-NO... Seriously don't risk it... Besides its a very inefficient way to heat up the place anyways because most of the heat is built to stay INSIDE the oven..

Losing heat in my apartment by the day even tho my heat is on full blast. It's such a weak heating system. 60 °F :(

... Please tell me you didn't turn your gas oven on to try and heat your apt. I mean that is a pretty horrible idea... Just put on a bunch of clothes or a coat. Better yet buy an electric space heater of some sort.

Sorry turtle, I know you've been beat over the head already, but please don't try to heat with your oven. I was just at a house fire 4 days ago where the family lost everything because the occupants fell asleep after turning the oven on and opening the door. They were lucky to wake up and get out. But it's hard to try to console someone when that happens.

Today back in 1888 in La Crosse the temp hit a mind numbing -42F (all time low for LSE). I don't ever want to see that record broken!

-20F this morning in Sparta.

I never realized that La Crosse could get so cold. I think you hit -30 in the Feb 1996 cold wave, right?

Back to reality...those who were fortunate enough to receive snow last night should savor it...the overall pattern looks pretty crappy over the next 7-10 days. Sure, we could slide in a rogue snow event during that time...but today's "chilly" temps may be the coldest we see for the rest of January. Not trying to be dramatic...jut making an observation that the AK vortex looks to reassert itself, which would continue our bad pattern overall.

Looks/feels like deep winter here today this morning. It'll look/feel like spring tomorrow. :D

Anyways, been a fun last 8-9 days. An oasis of snow/wintry weather in an otherwise crappy winter to date. I think we'll get into a better pattern in February for a time, extent/duration TBD...but beavis is right that the pattern looks to go back to above normal temps/less wintry for the next week to 2 weeks.

Can see those bands on the lake... Big old stinky lake still has plenty of heat to give up.

Almost looks like that band is moving nw...maybe it will make it up to Milwaukee and drop 10 to 12 inches :)

http://www.ssd.noaa..../flash-vis.html

the main band has been wobbling east and now west and then an odd W/E convergence band just move almost due north up the lake shore. Have picked up just enough to cover the dog piss.

Archived