EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January 2012 General Discussion/Obs Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm riding the Don S. train til April. His speculation and mid range forecasting has been damn good this season.

I hope so, but am skeptical until there is strong run-to-run continuity on this idea. Both the GFS and ECMWF ensembles have forecast a number of pattern changes that didn't work out. Instead, what one saw were short-lived cooler periods. Recent warming in ENSO Region 1+2 while Region 3.4 has remained relatively stable increases the risk of a February 1999 ENSO situation. February 1999 also had a neutral to somewhat positive AO and neutral PNA (monthly averages). Among the dates listed on the GFS ensembles' 11-day objective analogs centered around 1/29/2012 is 1/25/1999.

The ECMWF ensembles also show the MJO finally escaping the low amplitude circle and emerging in Phase 5 at the end of January. Phase 5 is typically mild in the East:

So my guess at this point is that the ECMWF ensembles might be hinting at some opportunities for cold shots, but much more evidence needs to become available for me to buy into a cold February scenario.

Having said that, I do not believe February 2012 will be a February 1999-style disaster. Something similar to February 1956, but with more expansive warm anomalies seems to be more likely, but that's not yet cast in concrete.

Again, this is just my opinion. I could well be wrong (and I hope so).

gfs vs ecmwf in the long range, ecmwf doesn't want to break down the ak vortex vs the rapid breakdown and shift to a very cold pattern from the gfs for the long range. ecmwf wants to shift the vortex a bit east but still nowhere near as cold as the gfs would be in the day 9-10 frame. Something to watch.... I'd lean towards the ecmwf based on this winters pattern for the ak vortex to stick around a bit longer but i haven't looked at mjo or any sort of qbo signals yet.

Archived