EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
January 2012 General Discussion/Obs Part 2

Chicago Storm

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm starting to have dreams of sitting on the beach in Ft Lauderdale... Thankfully we are almost to Feb, so I guess the finish line is kind of in sight (depending on how brutal March/April end up being).

Hit -8F last night. Coldest so far. -1F right now and the snow is coming down pretty good. Don't remember the last time it was this cold and snowing.

Looks like mild weather returns until early Feb....

Turtle-

Is MSN that much of a heat island? The obs taken in La Crosse are at the airport, which actually sits on French Island (surround by the Mississippi and Black River/Lake Onalaska) north of the city. Its basically a huge open snow cover field, so i'm sure the obs in downtown La Crosse are probably a little warmer). The NWS sits on top of the Bluff (about 600ft above the city), so temps usually are warmer/colder depending on the conditions). Running in this crap, you can really tell which areas are cold sinks. There is a field that I run past and in the fall, I can usually feel a good 5F drop in temps (this is at night). I also run down a hill into a subdivision and you can always feel a temp change as you get to the bottom. Lots of little microclimates.

By far coldest morning of the winter this morning. 4F at DTW, as low as -8F at White Lake, all way below guidance. Perhaps a light fresh snowcover really helped temps plummet.

I knew it was pretty cold last night when I could occasionally hear the the 2X4 & 2X6 wood in the attic contracting & make that popping sound.

Turtle-

Is MSN that much of a heat island? The obs taken in La Crosse are at the airport, which actually sits on French Island (surround by the Mississippi and Black River/Lake Onalaska) north of the city. Its basically a huge open snow cover field, so i'm sure the obs in downtown La Crosse are probably a little warmer). The NWS sits on top of the Bluff (about 600ft above the city), so temps usually are warmer/colder depending on the conditions). Running in this crap, you can really tell which areas are cold sinks. There is a field that I run past and in the fall, I can usually feel a good 5F drop in temps (this is at night). I also run down a hill into a subdivision and you can always feel a temp change as you get to the bottom. Lots of little microclimates.

Madison has a unique heat island effect. The airport is in the plains off the the northeast, so things radiate there nicely. However, Madison is surrounded by 2 lakes, and there's a ridge down the middle of the isthmus. So all the cold air sinks out into the lake this time of year. That's why we are commonly 5-10 °F warmer than the airport.

There is also a good bit of buildings and concrete obviously. It's densely populated here.

I knew it was pretty cold last night when I could occasionally hear the the 2X4 & 2X6 wood in the attic contracting & make that popping sound.

I heard that sound a few winters ago on a super cold night. It turned out that roof boards under my shingles had taken on moisture from ice damming, and they were warping from the cold as they froze. The sound I heard was the board snapping loose from the joist. Not good!

Forgot about those lakes. Are they fully frozen over now? The river here does almost nothing for our local climate. Just not enough volume. It freezes over fast and opens up fast.

Sparta must have their station in a frost hollow. Its got to be surrounded by steep hills or something.

Up to 4F or 5F now! Feels almost like Miami..minus the girls in thongs.

Forgot about those lakes. Are they fully frozen over now? The river here does almost nothing for our local climate. Just not enough volume. It freezes over fast and opens up fast.

Sparta must have their station in a frost hollow. Its got to be surrounded by steep hills or something.

Up to 4F or 5F now! Feels almost like Miami..minus the girls in thongs.

Completely frozen, happened within a few days of the pattern change. And yeah, I bet there are alot of places like Sparta even way south of there, but they don't have wx stations in them.

I heard that sound a few winters ago on a super cold night. It turned out that roof boards under my shingles had taken on moisture from ice damming, and they were warping from the cold as they froze. The sound I heard was the board snapping loose from the joist. Not good!

Yikes! That is no good! Thankfully mine is just a light popping that occurs when it is really cold like that.

Archived